Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Building my own Tent Camper

Building my own Tent Camper

I'm in the process of building my own tent camper. I'll be using a tent from this site: http://compactcampingconcepts.com If the website sounds familiar it's because the owner was on here a couple of years ago asking what people wanted in a camper. Full disclosure I have no affiliation with this site or the owner. I stumbled on to his site by accident and only recently found his posts on here. Anyway I'm starting with a Harbor Freight 40.5"X49" trailer that'll I'll be building a box for. I'll be adding the tent to this and hopefully enjoying the great outdoors with the wife this summer. I'm estimating about 2 months to completion due to fitting this into the budget. The body walls will be 1/2" Marine plywood and the platform the tent will be on 3/4" Marine grade plywood. Here are the starting pictures:

The kit:

Checking Square:

The tounge and springs added:

Since this picture I've moved the axle to the other side of the springs, removed the middle spring and moved the tounge forward a set of holes. I've also added a set of leveling jacks to the rear:

Trailer put together:

Marking the holes to attach the bottom of the box:

And the bottom primered:

That's my Granddaughter marking the holes for me, the area was very tight. My plan was to get the walls on today before I painted anything but she really wanted to paint the trailer so we painted the bottom. I'll get the walls added this week and probably get the front and rear doors done. I'll be ordering the tent soon but will have to wait until the end of the month to order the 3/4" plywood.
    Last edited by GMiller64; 01-09-2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Spelling

(Threadstarter)

Re: Building my own Tent Camper

Quote Originally Posted by G wizz View Post
    ~~~ ~~~

So ... Which model camper are you building? The 'Explorer Box Trailer', or the 'Mobile Outdoor Adventure Bedroom'?
    What I'm going to do is mount the Mobile Outdoor Adventure Bedroom on a box smaller than the Explorer Box. The platform will be the same size though, at least as of now, but I'll have a 4" overhand all around. It'll still be between the fenders. It's all designed in my head....and has changed slightly about 10 times so far.

George

I had thought about this but using those folding two person folding cots that are a tent on a cot , cant remember their name but about 200 and no changing room but maybe
    2014 Valkyrie Red the fastest color!
    Remember if its old and you are old its not worth as much as you paid for it

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

I'm subscribed to this one!
    Sarcasm: Just one of the many free services I provide.

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

ride shadow ride

Coffee Re: Building my own Tent Camper

George, I've been looking at this tent kit for a while. I would like to know when your trailer is completed If you post some pictures and how hard it is to mount the tent. Thanks Jack

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by bandit428 View Post
    George, I've been looking at this tent kit for a while. I would like to know when your trailer is completed If you post some pictures and how hard it is to mount the tent. Thanks Jack
    No problem Jack. I was planning on documenting my entire build, mostly because it's winter and what else am I going to do.

I don't think I'll get to the next step much before this weekend. I don't get home before 6 PM and with it being cold out I always make sure the wife can park in the garage during the week.

George

(Threadstarter)

Time for my weekly update, didn't plan it that way but looks like I'll only be able to work on this on the weekends.

Sides on and the frame work for the ends:

Close up of the frame, along with one of my helpers :

Side view of the frame. I notched those uprights to fit under the cross bar and add support:

Front and rear installed. The openings are for the doors;

Door proped up in place, good thing I'm planning on painting the body because I blew the grain direction :

Close up of one of the doors. I have a 1/2" lip on three sides that I'll have a seal fit against along with one on the bottom:

And finally, I went over all the joints and screw heads with wood putty. I'll let this dry a couple of days and do it again:

Next weekend I'll sand the body down and hopefully paint it. I'll then attach it to the trailer, right now it's just sitting on it because I only have one set of saw horses and I needed them for the wood today. I still have to figure out how I'm going to attach the lights, fenders and the platform for the tent. The tent is due in tomorrow but I'm not going to be attaching it for a couple of weeks. I bought the last of the prototypes to save some cash so I had to purchase it quickly.

I am by no means a Carpenter so if anyone runs into me on the road please do not put a straight edge or square anywhere on my box. I only have basic power tools and hand tools to build this with. One of the things I've discovered is that I would have been much more accurate with hand tools. The piece over the doors and both parts to each door I did with a hand saw and a coping saw. I had much less work getting these to fit right than I did with any of parts I cut with the circular saw.

George
    Last edited by GMiller64; 01-16-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Spelling

I had thought of trying this , I was looking more towards the tent cot setup with a box below it like yours .
    This looks like great start

http://www.buy.com/prod/kamp-rite-do...202140308.html

SCRC Ch. 183 N. Atlanta quadancer's Avatar

Well brah, you're not trying to go ultralight, but sturdy is good too! Just a thot...my brother did his bathroom with a lot of woodwork, and wanting a superior and waterproof paint, he went and got the sink resurfacing kit from Depot...man, that epoxy paint laid down so flat and smooth it looks like it was fiberglassed! I've been meaning to try that on one of my projects someday.
    Well, you show me yours, I'll show ya mine! Subscribed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PaintSide.jpg  
    If'n ya boards ain't a-sparkin',
    then you is just a-parkin'!

DARKSIDE RULES!