Thread: New Mexico - Rio Bravo Campground in Orilla Verde Recreation Area

New Mexico - Rio Bravo Campground in Orilla Verde Recreation Area

Just wanted to give some credit to this campground for those in the group looking for a nice place to stay in the Taos, NM area. $7 a night! Coin operated showers/big clean restrooms. It’s my understanding that showers are hard to come by in this area – so, I didn’t mind that they were coin operated.

Right on the river. Campsites have water at each site I believe and a covered picnic table for each site with roof and one wall shelter. Fire pit and one of those stand up bbq things too. Nice tent pads for your tent. Really impressive for only $7.

I wanted to be close to the camp host so that I might rest a little easier with leaving my high dollar sleeping bag and Jetboil and whatnot at the campsite – so, I picked a spot close him….unfortunately it was also right next to the bathroom that I occasionally caught a good whiff of. LOL No biggie though. It wasn’t a constant stench.

About 15 miles south of Taos. Some amazing scenery just travelling between the campsite and town. I’ve got video that I’ll try to post soon all the way from Taos to the campsite nearly.

Thought about you guys on here and that you might like a heads up that this small campsite is really a gem in my book. There are several other sites in the area as well if this one fills up and you don’t mind travelling to the shower if you need it.

The only pic I have right now is one in the dark of my evening meal and celebratory beverages……

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Re: New Mexico - Rio Bravo Campground in Orilla Verde Recreation Area

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a nice little spot. I'll be sure to check it out next July, when I'll be passing through the Taos area.

Dusty
    Ken - 1992 GL1500 Aspencade - Darksider
    - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

(Threadstarter)

You guys are special! LOL I uploaded a clip of my trip of this campground for you all before any of my other video.

When I get the video of the ride from Taos back into camp in the evening up on Youtube - I will post it as well.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cyczjIkw5Y"]YouTube - Orilla Verde Recreation Area[/ame]

(Threadstarter)

Here’s that video from near Taos down to the campsite……some really awesome riding.

Youtube killed my Eagles soundtrack to my video….LOL – so, there’s no sound, but you’re not missing anything by not hearing the wind noise.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXLrUbdOfGw"]YouTube - Taos to Orilla Verde Recreation Area[/ame]

I wanna go. Thanks for posting the vids. Enjoyed watching your ride. Brought back lots of memories from childhood vacations in that area. We camped in the Nat Forest near Tres Ritos several times. Never found Orilla Verde. Looks like a great find. Again, thanks for sharing.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

I stayed at this great little 'oasis' on Aug 12 2011 and loved the spot. Very well kept/clean and was a welcome relief from the 105* heat.
    Every campsite had a couple of nice shade trees.
    There are coin operated showers and flush toilets in the shower house and plenty of clean vault toilets throughout the campground.
    There is a picnic table in a covered shelter, BBQ grill, water and a fire ring at each campsite.

The Camp Host was very nice and even suggested I pull my bike under the covered picnic shelter, as it got very windy and he said a storm was expected to rip through the area. I ended up packing up my tent and laid out my air pad on top of the picnic table to sleep for the night, so I wouldn't have to pack up a wet tent and I would be able to leave earlier in the morning, as well

Nice quiet campground, with the Rio Grande running through the rear of the campsite.

Couldn't be beat, especially for the price of $7/night. Highly recommended!!

Google Maps Location: - http://g.co/maps/5m9y6

Dusty