Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My home built.

(Threadstarter)

Re: My home built.

Quote Originally Posted by smith8833 View Post
    poor ub,
    Where did you get the suspension, wheel and shocks? You said you shortened the second one by 18" what is the length from hitch to axel? Hope you don't mind? I have heard bad things about short trailers and want to get it right.
    Sorry, I guess I need to stop by here more often!
    I would have to measure the trailer for the exact length, but the old trailer was close to 8 feet long, this version is shorter, so around 6 1/2 feet over all length.
    The wheel is from a Yamaha YSR 50, bought off EBay. The shock is a minibike shock bought from http://www.mfgsupply.com
    As for the length, My experiance is that single wheel trailers do not follow the guide lines a two wheel does. Length of the tongue is not as much as an issue.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by quadancer View Post
    I'm totally stoked about this, since I'm painting a steel toolbox to replace my plastic ones on the Pickup - I'd like to see a shot of the hitch detail - hooked up and loose. Seems it still has to turn as well as go up and down.
    How does it handle when 2up and loaded? Is it very clunky maneuvering parking lots and trails?
    Also, I see your swingarm is sort of a T-bar before paint, and a box frame after paint. Was the T too flimsy?
    Here is a pic of the hitch setup frpm my first trailer, pretty much the same.

As far as handling, great! You really do not feel the trailer while rolling down the road. Slow speed s in parking lots take a bit more concentration, but no big deal. The worst is getting the bike off the side stand because you are lifting the bike and trailer to vertical, not just the bike.
    This was my second trailer like this and I am convinced that for a small capacity trailer it is the only way to go.
    I loose you on the swingarm. Other than widening it to fit a wider tire I did not change it. Here is pic.

Any more questions feel free to ask. This is not my usual hangout so I forget to pop in and see if the thread has had any response!

SCRC Ch. 183 N. Atlanta quadancer's Avatar

Aha. Optical illusion: the paint hid the shadow and it looked like a tube. Do you have some kind of bushings in the swingarm pivot? I'd think it would knock once steel bolts wore in.
    At last I see how the hitch works: so simple you'd miss it! Hope you're watching my build; I might need some suggestions.
    If'n ya boards ain't a-sparkin',
    then you is just a-parkin'!

DARKSIDE RULES!

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by quadancer View Post
    Aha. Optical illusion: the paint hid the shadow and it looked like a tube. Do you have some kind of bushings in the swingarm pivot? I'd think it would knock once steel bolts wore in.
    At last I see how the hitch works: so simple you'd miss it! Hope you're watching my build; I might need some suggestions.
    The swingarm piviots are shock absorber rubber bushings. I was looking for something cheap, and simple and tried these on my first trailer and they worked well.
    http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-25927-31010.aspx
    They fit a 1" bore, and a piece of 3/8" black pipe fits the bore of the bushing, and a 7/16" bolt fits nicely in the 3/8" pipe to tighten it all up. Everything is a tight fit and the only movement is the flex in the rubber.

SCRC Ch. 183 N. Atlanta quadancer's Avatar

Thanx Dawg! That's gonna be my next swingarm, even if this bicycle thing works out - it was a lot of work and I don't like the narrow bearing spacing. But so far I've got about $40 in the whole thing, and I just need lights, a hitch, and paint.

(Threadstarter)

Just a "bump" and an update. Last summer I towed the trailer two trips, one was 1,500 miles around Lake Superior, the other was from ND, down to TN, then on to TX and back to ND. I probably have 5,000 miles on the trailer and it is working well. I have a bit of slack in the hitch, so I notice the trailer tipping side to side a tiny bit, but nothing to get excited about. A few minutes with the welder, grinder and drill press should tighten it up. Gas mileage is the same with or without the trailer.

Poor UB,
    I like your design. I have an N-Line that pulls like it isn't there, weigh's 80 lbs. and looks awesome. I'm thinking about selling it to get a camper.

Kleetus
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1301.jpg  

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Kleetus View Post
    Poor UB,
    I like your design. I have an N-Line that pulls like it isn't there, weigh's 80 lbs. and looks awesome. I'm thinking about selling it to get a camper.

Kleetus
    I looked at the N-Line and Uni-Go a few years back, but I just could not see myself parting with $3,000 or more for a trailer, so I started building.
    The N-Line is a nice trailer, seems to me they are larger than what I figured I needed.
    There is a company that build Harley Davison hard bags that are about 1/3 larger than stock. I have considered buying these bags and building a new trailer. The only thing that holds me back is the price. The bags unpainted and no hardware are something like $1,000. Toss in the hardware and the rest and it gets to be a spendy home built.

Thumbs up Re: My home built.

Thanks for sharing! Great job and inspiration!

(Threadstarter)

Bumping this up as I had someone asking about my trailer.

I still have this trailer and don't use it a lot, but when I do it is worth while. I generally get one long trip a year with it. Last trip was to North Carolina and back. I even rode the "Dragon" dragging the trailer. Still pulling with my 2010 Ultra with 72,000 miles on the bike.