Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My home built.

(Threadstarter)

Re: My home built.

Time sure flies!
    I stop by from time to time, but don't post much here.

I am still running my trailer. 2015 was a bad year, pinched nerve in my neck stopped me from riding much but still put on 8,000 miles. The trailer never left the garage.

In 2016 took a trip from Fargo, ND to Red Lodge MT, and farther west. Rode Lolo Pass then north to Bonners Ferry, Kalispel, Going to the Sun Road, Great Falls, blew a head gasket somewhere out of Great Falls and limped my 2010 Ultra with 82,000 miles into Billings. Abandoned the bike and trailer at the HD dealer and rented a car to get home. We went back a week later with a pickup and trailer and came home with the trailer and a new 2016 Limited, so this winter I need to build a hitch again!

OP:

I just stumbled upon your handiwork having missed it when you first posted. Glad I did.

I used to have a Welding/Fabrication ship set up as a hobby. Everything from MIG through Tig through Oxy Acetylene to Stick Welding. I even took classes and got certified in a few modalities. I thought about building a Teardrop trailer but never went through with it before I sold all my equipment and closed the shop. Sold everything except for one Hobart 110 volt Wire Welder for repairs. But during the time I had the shop, I worked on hundreds of projects. I even took Blacksmith classes and built a gas forge for the shop.

Your work is fantastic. Truly. Amazing job. I'm sure you will enjoy that trailer.

-3Sport
    Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing

"He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

poorUB I was going to ask about slack in your hitch but you answered that . When I made mine I made my u joint out of a 1 1/4 square stock with a 3/8 bolt each way and I had to get long enough bolts so the unthreaded part of the bolt went through both holes . After 10 000 miles it is starting to get a little more movement .

(Threadstarter)

Update time.
    Last summer, in July We took a run, draging the trailer, out to Beartooth Pass, actually the eleventh year in a row. Over the next week we traveled over to Lolo Pass, Lewiston ID, up to Bonner's Ferry, Kalispell, over Glacier Park, going to the Sun Road, Great Falls, then Lewistown, MT where I developed a blown hear gasket in my 2010 Ultra. We limped it into Billings and abandoned the bike and trailer there and rented a car to get home. The next weekend my buddy and I ran out to get the bike home and I ended up trading it off on a 2016 Limited so this spring I have been reworking the hitch and lighting to work with the new Limited. The Ultra had 82,000 miles on it and I had been messing with the engine, big bore kit and cams and had nothing but trouble with it so I was glad to send it down the road. The trailer has been working flawlessly, no repairs at all.

Very nice work. What kind of weight did your trailer have, and how much tongue weight..??

Thanks for posting.

--
    Gordon

(Threadstarter)

No idea on the tongue weight, but the trailer empty is 78 pounds. One thing about the typical single wheel trailers is they are light and don't hold a bunch. we usually hauls three 12"x 24" duffel bags with room to spare. Probably right around 100 pounds total. Tongue weight might be 40 pounds loaded, I don't know, never weighed it, but with the trailer we haul less weight on the bike so that offsets it a bit.

(Threadstarter)

Well, I got the hitch and lighting worked out so we are good to go with my 2016 Limited. The hitch was a total rework. I cut up the old hitch from the 2010 and modified it to fit.
    The wiring was a different story. I bought a Kuryakyn wiring harness with isolator, plug and play they say. Hooked it up to the trailer and the lights don't work correctly. Back tracked and checked my work and the isolator was bad. Got a replacement and carefully connected it, tested it, and even tested the trailer lights before I connected all the wiring, and it failed. Returned that one for credit and bought a Krome Werks brand isolator from a HD dealer. Hooked that one up and no issues, all the lights work great.
    I replaced the turn signals with larger LED lights as my riding buddy said they were pretty hard to see in the sun. As it happened either the bike or isolator runs the turns as brake lights so luckily I had ordered red LEDs. With the 2016 Limited the brake and turn signals are in the trunk which is visible above the trailer. If someone tail ends me with all this brake light action going on they would have to be blind!!