Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My home built.

My home built.

I got lead in this group from another group that had linked Blues Traveler's build. Here is mine.

This is my second single wheel. The first one was inspired by a builder in another group, http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing/?

Here is a pic on my first setup,

My second trailer is much the same, except for the box. The first trailer used a Coleman box that is no longer available, but a Thule Sidekick has about the same dimentions. The second trailer I used a box from Northern tool.
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6493_200336493

Here are some pics of the build.
    The bike hitch,

The coupling, the idea stolen from Uni-Go,

The frame, swingarm,

The frame complete and painted,

Flip dwn stands, one on each side to hold the trailer level when off the bike,

And the completed trailer,

All hooked up, on the bike,

I have about 3,000 miles on the rig and it tows very well. The box easily held a tent, two thermarest pads, two sleeping bags, a ground cloth, and two dufffle bags with our clothing. Last trip the bags and trunk on the bike were nearly empty, just rain gear, tools and some misc stuff that tends to acumulate.

Re: My home built.

Beautiful, GREAT looking trailer. Wish I knew how to weld I would have done a few things different. A little more length and suspension with an actual shock.
    Keith R.
    Sun City, SoCal
    05' Honda GoldWing
    AKA ownst100 STOC 1211

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Traveler View Post
    Beautiful, GREAT looking trailer. Wish I knew how to weld I would have done a few things different. A little more length and suspension with an actual shock.
    I wish I knew how to fab sheet metal panels, I would have made my own box!

We all have our own little specailies.
    I work for a HVAC shop so I probably could build a box using your methods, but a doubt it would come out as nice as yours, plus it would cost me a fortune in scrap sheet metal, and I would be missing a few fingers!

Tim in Burien, WA

PoorUB,

Thanks for posting the build pictures.

Timmer
    Tim in Burien, WA
    '03 GL1800A, '08 WR250R, '01 ST1100, '05 R1200GS (sleeping in Germany)
    '92 Kwik Kamp, '01 Escapade

Very nice. Question- what caused you to build the second trailer with the tool box. Did the first trailer perform well with the Thule top box? Any comparison between these two versions would be appreciated.
    Dave
    <<<< Willville in April

'99 ST1100

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

PourUB, thanks for posting the pictures of the build it looks great. If I ever get my first one finished, I would like to build a trailer similar to this to pull behind the Wee.
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Very nice. Question- what caused you to build the second trailer with the tool box. Did the first trailer perform well with the Thule top box? Any comparison between these two versions would be appreciated.
    The first box was a Coleman, simular to a Thule. The box was about 54" long, the Northern Tool box is 36" long, that plus paying closer attention to building the swing arm and frame I was able to cut over 18" of length out of the trailer, and still have the same, and maybe more box storage capacity. The trailer with the Coleman box was close to 8 feet long! I think the more square Northern box packs easier too, I can cram more stuff it that I could the Coleman, but they are advertised at close to the same cubic feet. When I bought the Coleman box they were less than $100 with shipping on Ebay. The Northern box was about $275. A Thule Side Kick box is about $275.

As far as how the trailer worked, it was great, I towed it probably 4,000 miles. Actually I traded bikes, and the hitch for the old bike would not fit the new one. Then I figured I did not need as trailer as it did not get that much use, so I sold the trailer too. I almost made it three months after trading bikes and mama was talking the we would need a trailer for our trip this summer so back to the drawing board!

Once in a while I talk to the gent that bought my old trailer has put more miles on it this summer that I did in the three years I had it, and he loves it.

Very nice job.
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

poor ub,
    Where did you get the suspension, wheel and shocks? You said you shortened the second one by 18" what is the length from hitch to axel? Hope you don't mind? I have heard bad things about short trailers and want to get it right.

SCRC Ch. 183 N. Atlanta quadancer's Avatar

I'm totally stoked about this, since I'm painting a steel toolbox to replace my plastic ones on the Pickup - I'd like to see a shot of the hitch detail - hooked up and loose. Seems it still has to turn as well as go up and down.
    How does it handle when 2up and loaded? Is it very clunky maneuvering parking lots and trails?
    Also, I see your swingarm is sort of a T-bar before paint, and a box frame after paint. Was the T too flimsy?