Thread: Sunset Lake Campground at High Point State Park, NJ

Land of the Free, Because of the Brave. Holly Springs, NC

Sunset Lake Campground at High Point State Park, NJ

Campground Report for High Point State Park, NJ

High Point State Park is located in the extreme northwest corner of NJ, where NY, PA and NJ come together. There are plenty of good roads, like gentle roller coasters, for riding in all three states from this juncture.

The campground at HPSP is at Sawmill Lake. Fifty sites surround the lake, but only a handful of the sites allow one to ride/drive into the site. At most of the sites you have to park near the one-way road and carry your stuff to the site. For light travelers tenting it this shouldn’t present a problem. For pulling a camper, like myself, its pretty limited.

I was in site seventeen, at the far and of the lake. This is a large site, partially shaded, and just a short walk to the facilities. Each site had a fire ring and picnic table. Many sites had elevated wood platforms for tents. There are NO sites with water and/or electric. The facilities consisted of flush toilets, NO sinks. Well water was located outside the restroom.

While Sunset Lake is only minutes from the main road (I found a grocery about fifteen minutes away) it is very remote. I arrived on a Monday and stayed until mid-day Friday. One other site was occupied during this time and they were at least a quarter mile away. I had complete quiet and privacy….just what I like.

Only problem area was no showers are at the campground. One has to go the day use area of the park and use the showers by the swimming area of another lake, close to ten minutes by bike, one way, from site seventeen.

Black bears are in the area, and it is strongly recommended that you secure your food and anything carrying an odor. Bear boxes are placed in a few spots along the camp road. The boxes have a combination pad lock and you can get the combination from the park office when you register.

I found a web site with several good photos of the campground and lake, along with other photos from the surrounding area. If you want to take a look, go here~ http://rhenion.com/highpoint.htm.

The official state web site is here~ http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf...highpoint.html.

A few photos of the Ambassador and site seventeen are attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ambassador2.jpg   campsite1(2).jpg   DSCN2029(2).JPG   DSCN2030(2).JPG   lake(2).jpg  

...to the topTop