Thread: Andrew's Cove

Andrew's Cove

Another review for a campground in the North Georgia mountains... This time itís just outside of Helen. Thereís a pretty good bit to do in Helen, and although itís been commercialized beyond what I would consider to be an ideal getaway, there are some nice things to do and see there. Fly fishing, horse and carriage rides, tubing in the river, hiking and waterfalls are some of the things that come to mind. I took a ride to a little town (Lula, GA) about 45 minutes away and went to a place called North Georgia Canopy Tours to ride the ziplines. Seriously fun!
    Anyway, the campground is about 10 minutes north of Helen and there are only 10 sites. They are quite spacious and seem to be for tents only, although Iím sure a motorcycle camper would be great. There are no hookups for electric or water but there is a little restroom facility. Canít tell you much about it because I didnít use it but I know that there are no showers. Also, there is a great stream running through the park which will work well for rinsing off your things. I used it for bottling water to boil and use for cooking and coffee as well. Everything is really damp in this place. It is very lush and feels like being inside a rain forest. The upside to that is the temperature stays reasonably cooler in the summer. The downside is that youíll probably have to bring your own firewood. They employ the honor system for pay and it is $12 per night. The sites have fire pits, cement tables and benches, poles for hanging a lantern and tent pads. Overall, it's really scenic and quiet (no RV's) and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again the next time I'm in the area. I drove through the nearby Unicoi State Park to check out Anna Ruby Falls and to look at their campgrounds -- nice, but not as nice as Andrew's Cove.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF5656.jpg   DSCF5664.jpg   DSCF5673.jpg   DSCF5674.jpg   DSCF5688.jpg  

David
    2014 Street Glide Special

Re: Andrew's Cove

i love ridin' in north ga. i will mos def check this c/g out.

Quote Originally Posted by aysrav View Post
    Another review for a campground in the North Georgia mountains... This time itís just outside of Helen. Thereís a pretty good bit to do in Helen, and although itís been commercialized beyond what I would consider to be an ideal getaway, there are some nice things to do and see there. Fly fishing, horse and carriage rides, tubing in the river, hiking and waterfalls are some of the things that come to mind. I took a ride to a little town (Lula, GA) about 45 minutes away and went to a place called North Georgia Canopy Tours to ride the ziplines. Seriously fun!
    Anyway, the campground is about 10 minutes north of Helen and there are only 10 sites. They are quite spacious and seem to be for tents only, although Iím sure a motorcycle camper would be great. There are no hookups for electric or water but there is a little restroom facility. Canít tell you much about it because I didnít use it but I know that there are no showers. Also, there is a great stream running through the park which will work well for rinsing off your things. I used it for bottling water to boil and use for cooking and coffee as well. Everything is really damp in this place. It is very lush and feels like being inside a rain forest. The upside to that is the temperature stays reasonably cooler in the summer. The downside is that youíll probably have to bring your own firewood. They employ the honor system for pay and it is $12 per night. The sites have fire pits, cement tables and benches, poles for hanging a lantern and tent pads. Overall, it's really scenic and quiet (no RV's) and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again the next time I'm in the area. I drove through the nearby Unicoi State Park to check out Anna Ruby Falls and to look at their campgrounds -- nice, but not as nice as Andrew's Cove.
    Is this anywhere near redtop mountain park.. loved that place! Loved the red sandy soil and water right at the back door of the tent!

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by kayakinbiker View Post
    Is this anywhere near redtop mountain park.. loved that place! Loved the red sandy soil and water right at the back door of the tent!
    Yeah, I like Red Top Mountain too. Helen and Andrews Cove are a good 100 miles northeast of there. Sure am looking forward to things warming up some so I can go back!

SCRC Ch. 183 N. Atlanta quadancer's Avatar

I live just below Red Top - I don't care much for it because it's picked out and too close, but Andrews looks just like ones we frequent. Up above Suches is one called Lake Winfield. That is virtually identical to Andrews, same price too. I'll have to check Andrews out this summer; thanx!
    If'n ya boards ain't a-sparkin',
    then you is just a-parkin'!

DARKSIDE RULES!

(Threadstarter)

It's very close to Lake Winfield. I had forgotten about that one. Thanks for reminding me. And what a great road to ride in order to get there!

philharmonic

"can't tell you about the restroom because I didn't use it"

have I missed something here? Don't mean to be rude, want to be thankful when people help me out with good info on camping, but I just had to ask. Sorry,