Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips and Tricks

Re: Tips and Tricks

I am glad that Coleen and Ernie started this little thread, it is sure spawning a butch of ideas. I really don't have any tricks up my sleeve however I must admit I learned a great deal on my trip to the Chill Out. In the past I'd never prepared anything more than a cup of morning coffee. This time was going to be different. My wife bought me a set of pots of pans for my birthday in February. I put them to work immediately preparing meals I enjoy eating and that I would plan to eat on my next camping venture. However, after sitting at Coleen and Ernie camp site and watching them cook, I learned that it was good to be present when they said...."all right everybody...come and eat! Later it was repeated again for supper! The short of all of this when asked by my wife how my new pots and pans worked...I told her...I don't know...I've never had to cook! With that said...my best tip is........."be close and be ready when your neighbor sez' come and eat"!
    "Four Wheels move the body; two wheels move the soul"............Ride Safe 09 F800GS
    www.justcallmewhosoever.blogspot.com

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

But since you haven't seen us in the same room together, maybe this is more apt:
    VABob is to Keith as Clark Kent is to Superman

LOL [/QUOTE]

No, I think your new nickname will be SUPER PADRE.

When Ernie and I first saw you at Tellico, all we saw was a guy walking around all in black, with black Crocks and a white cloth (later discovered to be his shower towel) wrapped around his neck and hanging down his chest.
    We both said about the same time, "is he a priest?"

So, sorry about being a little standoffish at first, Bob. But I believe I was fairly stunned at seeing what I thought was a motocamping priest next to me hanging from a hammock.

But, now that I know you, I'm quite convinced you are just slightly less than holy.

Colleen

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Whosoever;

Don't forget Deb and George (The Geewizze's). Most of those vittles were cooked by them over in their campsite and just brought to my table so I could reap all the compliments!
    I handed poor George about four dozen eggs and asked him to scramble them.
    He looked at me like I was nuts, but the next thing I knew, he was hauling over a wheel barrow full of delicious scrambled eggs!

Colleen

Talking Re: Tips and Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by Black and Blue View Post
    Whosoever;

Don't forget Deb and George (The Geewizze's). Most of those vittles were cooked by them over in their campsite and just brought to my table so I could reap all the compliments!
    I handed poor George about four dozen eggs and asked him to scramble them.
    He looked at me like I was nuts, but the next thing I knew, he was hauling over a wheel barrow full of delicious scrambled eggs!

Colleen
    Colleen you are so right! Also, I believe it was Ripshod and Macjohno that provided bratwurst on Friday night....and perhaps some burgers on Saturday night. Not only was this all wonderful but I recall VABob waking me up from an afternoon nap to tell me that the "grubb" was on the table.....I love I this idea of camping....I should have brought pots and pans on all of my other camping outings....they work like magic!

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

That's a good TIP AND TRICK; always bring the MAGIC pots and pans...food magically appears!

Colleen

I've been camping with Ernie and Colleen twice this year and my "magic" pans have worked great both times.

Thanks guys, the food was GREAT! !

Guy
    My pics page: http://picasaweb.google.com/mrguy001

2003 Suzuki DR 650, The touring model.

1st tip,,,,Recently (like last week) I went camping by myself and found a trick (at least to me), that maybe will be of some use. Because I drink Rye (that's Whiskey to you Americans , I made the mistake of ordering a "rye and Coke" in an American bar ) and Coke, I "really" didn't want to buy ice to just cool the coke. I found that the water in the taps was very cold, so I then filled up my dish-pan with cold water to cool the coke, (I am sure it works with beer as well).
    My 2nd tip is to use a 4 or 5 Gal. water jug, cut in half, as a dish-pan. It collapses and it holds water.
    3rd tip,,,,,,here in Canada we have to pay for firewood, so I just scrounge around in the bush to find whatever deadwood I can. A small buck-saw works better than an axe, in this case.
    4th tip,,(if you can call it that), is that when sleeping, I hate to get up in the middle of the night, and go outside to take a leak. I bought a "pee bottle" that I can use inside the tent in the middle of the night. They have them for both M and F.

JM2C

Here are some of my ideas, from years of MC camping.

1. Make a list of not only what to bring, but where it's packed. By packing in similar or
    identical ways each time, you improve your speed breaking camp and sometimes when you really, really, really need something, you can remember where it is(like your partial roll of toilet paper).
    I work at packing identically, for every trip. There are times..in the rain, getting dark, hurrying to leave before it rains, etc. that speed in packing does count.

2. I'm most often a solo camper, and over the years, I've reasoned that the most important part of any camping trip is comfortable, restful sleep. With that in mind, I traded in my Thermarest and bought a single size, inflatable mattress...kind of like an air mattress for swimming, but heavier duty...with a battery operated pump.(runs on "D" batteries.) It' also much cheaper than a thermarest...$20 as opposed to $60.

Now, I Have a full 6" of insulation, a soft, comfortable bed in any ground conditions, it packs flatter and smaller than my Therma rest, and really takes no more than about 4 minutes to unpack, and inflate. THe pump will also deflate the mattress, sucking most all of the air out, without lots of squeezing, rolling etc. so I get a really flat, packable
    unit. I can inflate only partially for a softer bed and in the case of heavy rain, even if water seeps in the tent, I still have about 4-5 inches of height to be dry.

3. Keep a short checklist in your tankbag... check your essential items every morning before taking off....oil, air pressure, chain lube, wallet, cell phone charged?, keys, etc. Again by NOT having to remember
    items or procedures, you can speed up your arrival or departure with less chance of a major screwup.

4. I don't eat meals in camp, but for anyone who does, remember that animals can smell through ice chests and duffle bags. Always keep any food outside the tent and away from your campsite. Very BIG, mean animals also show up where you least expect them.

Sidecars Rule! ☺

A lot of folks don't like using bungee cords on motorcycles, but straps like Helen-TwoWheel's are really expensive.
    The local Kayak shop has NRS 1 inch webbing (1500 pound strength) in 100 foot rolls for $22 and a bag of plastic buckles, enough to do 12 straps for $15. If you don't want the whole 100 foot roll, they also sell it for 25 cents a foot.
    They also have 1 1/2 inch straps that I plan to use to make my Bob Vail straps for my Bunkhouse.
    Here's the NRS website, but a lot of places, like REI, carry their stuff for less than the website.

Sidecars Rule! ☺

A trick for Kermit Chair owners.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=37374.0