Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: Tips and Tricks

Re: Tips and Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    Bob, I'll be buying a few similar to those white ones shortly, then using them to make my own side window awnings, front and side rain/sun shades, once I get my new to me Aspen home.

Time to fire up my sewing machine and brush up on my sewing skills. I have a ton of mod ideas, thanks to G wizz.
    I have a little fenced in area next to my garage, where I keep my snow blower and Aspen (both covered). The blower is no big deal, as long as it's covered, but the Aspen has been sitting under plastic tarps brown/silver and under the Colorado sun that tarp gets pretty hot. I do have a 4'X8'X1" sheet of Styrofoam insulation material that I sandwich between the tarps and the trailer has held up quite well. A tarp lasts a year or so before it gets eaten up by our sun, so I'm thinking that one of those white tarps would be great as the top one. I doubt if the sun would affect it at all and it would stay relatively cool.
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

I saw some MSR guyline tensioners I thought were interesting .. Till I saw the price of 'em ... Including shipping, they would'a cost me over $4.50 EACH! ...

I found a piece of 1 1/4 dia. aluminum tubing, cut off some 1/2 wide pieces, drilled holes in 'em, and made some cool guy line tensioners for next to nothing ...

I liked them so well I made enough for all my guy lines ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails $_12.JPG   2014-06-28 08.31.45.jpg   2014-06-28 08.35.28.jpg   2014-06-28 08.32.47.jpg   2014-06-28 08.33.14.jpg  

2014-06-14 11.14.34.jpg  

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G wizz View Post
    I saw some MSR guyline tenteners I thought were interesting .. Till I saw the price of 'em ... Including shipping, they would'a cost me over $4.50 each! ...

I found a piece of 1 1/4 dia. aluminum tubing, cut off some 1/2 wide pieces, drilled holes in 'em, and made some cool guy line tenteners for next to nothing ...

I liked them so well I made enough for all me guy lines ...
    Nice!
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Quote Originally Posted by SidecarMike View Post
    A trick for Kermit Chair owners.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=37374.0
    I like that idea. I used 3/4 PVC pipe. I made jig out of some old wood the same size as the legs on my Kermit chair. I heated the pvc with a heat gun and pushed it on the jig. I used a dremel tool the cut the notch out for the bolt on legs of the Kermit chair. I capped the ends of each leg with rubber caps used on walking canes. Works great. I sanded and painted the legs black. I have used them several times without any problems.

For cleaning your windshield and bike for that matter I use Pledge furniture polish. I put the can in an old sock or two and put it in my bag. It works great for cleaning and it puts down a protective coat. Water beads right off and bugs clean off easily. When I stop I just spray some on the windshield and wipe down with the sock. I've been using it for at least 20 years. Also puts a nice wax finish on the bikes paint.

After an incident involving VCB's (Vaselined cotton balls) when the plastic bag holding them broke open, and Vaseline got EVERYWHERE, I started carrying them in sealed soda straws. Grab the soda straw with some needle jaw pliers, about 1/8" from the end, and apply heat from a stove flame or propane torch lightly to the end until it melts and seals. Cut it about 1 1/2" to 2" form the sealed end. You can jam 5-6 Vaseline soaked cotton balls into it, I use a pair of tweezers for this. Then seal the open end, the same way that you sealed the other end.

They're near indestructible, can be carried in a pocket, and are waterproof. When you need one, cut one end open and squeeze the cotton balls out. No more worrying about the bag breaking open and making a mess. I've forgotten to take them out of my pocket several times, and had them run through the washer and the dryer without opening up.

You can carry small doses of medication, salt, pepper, and other things the same way.

A disk from a hard drive with a string to the hand grip is a good sidestand pad for my vintage bike. Makes a statement and i dont leave it behind.
    KISS

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

I know this is an old thread, but we need to get back to the basics and discuss things of importance. This thread is chuck full of strategic significance.

Now for my additional "can't live without this information:"

I was in WinCo Foods yesterday, and they have dry ice for $1.10 a pound. Ice cream was on sale too, so if you buy a pound of dry ice and a quart of ice cream, and double bag it in their brown bags, nestle it into your cooler, you can keep ice cream so hard that you have to set it on the picnic table for 30 minutes so that you can get a spoon in it.

Now, back to all the other non sense you were already reading.

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

Quote Originally Posted by LarryinSeattle View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but we need to get back to the basics and discuss things of importance. This thread is chuck full of strategic significance.

Now for my additional "can't live without this information:"

I was in WinCo Foods yesterday, and they have dry ice for $1.10 a pound. Ice cream was on sale too, so if you buy a pound of dry ice and a quart of ice cream, and double bag it in their brown bags, nestle it into your cooler, you can keep ice cream so hard that you have to set it on the picnic table for 30 minutes so that you can get a spoon in it.

Now, back to all the other non sense you were already reading.
    I like where your head is on this! Keep at it..

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer Dood View Post
    After an incident involving VCB's (Vaselined cotton balls) .... You can jam 5-6 Vaseline soaked cotton balls into it, I use a pair of tweezers for this. Then seal the open end, the same way that you sealed the other end.

They're near indestructible, can be carried in a pocket, and are waterproof.
    At the risk of sounding silly ...... what pray tell do you use these cotton balls for? The most innocent use I can think of is as a fire starter! But maybe there is something else?