Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Little Guy "Rascal" teardrop trailer

Thumbs up Little Guy "Rascal" teardrop trailer

First, I make no recommendations as to whether YOU should tow this nor any other trailer. That is up to you to decide based on your own skill and comfort level......

Now, purchased the Rascal right from the owner of the company here in Massillon, Ohio. I was looking for a trailer that I did not have to erect (ie;put up a tent) and that I could legally take a short nap in at Rest Areas on the highway.

The Rascal (list price of $5495) weighs about 490 pounds with a tongue weight of 45 pounds. It is of plywood and aluminum construction with a door on each side, a lift panel in the rear for the galley (nothing there but a table like affair and some cabinets) and a vent on the roof. Aluminum "mag" wheels and LED exterior lights.

The floor space is something like 44 x 68 and the mattresses are 4" heavy foam with heavy mattress type covering. There are also three cabinets in the sleeping area which pass through to the ones in the galley. Three battery lights keep things bright.

Thats it.... no toilet, no stove, no shower... sleeping area only.

The tow vehicle in my case was a 2009 Harley Ultra Classic. Load was myself, my wife, a few clothes and a tool kit. Trip duration was almost 1000 miles in rain, wind, sun and fog.....

The Trailer towed like a dream. It was smooth, no bouncing (rubber torsion suspension) and tracked perfectly. Until I got used to it, there was a little "snatch" for want of a better word, but once I got used to it, it towed fine. I did not notice any drifting and wind from the side had only a slight effect on tracking. This may have been due to the weight or shape or whatever but it was never a problem.

I allowed PLENTY of time to stop. The trailer had no brakes. The discs on the Harley seemed more than adequate for the job at hand and never felt as though I could not stop. Did I mention I allowed for PLENTY of room to stop? The brakes never seemed to fade and I didnt notice any undue wear when I got home.

Sleeping in the trailer was great. It was nice to just get off the bike and get inside without putting up a tent, either on or off a trailer. The trailer was cosy when sleeping and there is room to sit up and read or watch a DVD on the iPHONE. You MUST open the upper vent a little at night though. I did and all was well in the sleeping area, but the rear galley area was damp with condensation from our breathing while sleeping. Not sure if this would be a problem over time but took a towel and wiped it down. No harm no foul. I spent two nights sleeping at Rest Areas on the highway in the truck parking area and was never bothered by the Police or truckers. You can also stay in Walmart lots as long as you don't erect a tent, either on or off a trailer.

So, I would highly recommend the Little Guy Rascal. Whether you tow it with your bike or a car is up to you, but for me, the darn thing was great.

And for all the legalistas out there, no, I am not employed paid, smiled at or anything else by the manufacturer....
    Dress for the SLIDE, not just the RIDE

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Re: Little Guy "Rascal" teardrop trailer

Pictures, we need pictures!

Glad to hear it's working out for ya, I looked at one at my local Gander Mountain and was wondering how it would pull behind my Road King.

Not that the wife would let me buy one, but I was wondering.
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

My wife & I have been looking at the teardrops for a few years now. It may become our next camping shelter when the current cabin tent wears out. Since my Princess doesn't ride this would be for car camping only. I'm not sure I want to pull this large & heavy a trailer with my bike. I can see my mpg dropping to less than our Volvo wagon fully loaded with a canoe on top driving through the mountains.
    Dave
    <<<< Willville in April

'99 ST1100

SCRC Ch. 183 N. Atlanta quadancer's Avatar

No way in heck am I gonna put that much weight behind my Harley. I AM considering a teardrop though, without the kitchen and some amenities. The Pico Light caught my eye at 260 lbs. and I have a friend who is a woodworker; I'm a carpenter, so this would be easy.
    http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...rop/tear58.htm

Question Re: Little Guy "Rascal" teardrop trailer

What did it do to your gas milage?

i have a mini mate camper and feel it is probably one of the best on the market. $2,800 and it will take you through a storm. it is only 250 pounds dry and with the extra 50 pounds of junk i put inside i hardly notice it. just have to look for one gear down on a steep hill. i have had it for about six months and have over 2,500 miles on it and no complaints. has a four inch mattress and sleeps fantastic. three big screened windows and a door it really vents. just got back yesterday from a 200 mile trip and am leaving again next week. look at their site "kompact kampers" and you will get the surprise of your life. the advertise it takes two minutes to set up. don't believe it, it takes almost three minutes to set up.
    try it you will love it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RRG2011 010.jpg  

2 wheels > than 4 wheels. BELOWaverageBOB's Avatar

I'd like to make one of these pop-ups this winter out of my HF trailer, but I'm going to need the 'pop-up' canvas for it...

Any ideas where to purchase said canvas that is already made for one of these tiny pop-ups?

Quote Originally Posted by BELOWaverageBOB View Post
    I'd like to make one of these pop-ups this winter out of my HF trailer, but I'm going to need the 'pop-up' canvas for it...

Any ideas where to purchase said canvas that is already made for one of these tiny pop-ups?
    You might look into a Tent Cot. http://store.kamprite.com/catalog/ They make a small trailer for towing behind a bicycle. I was thinking about doing something simalr with a Harbor Freight trailer and my Sears X-Cargo.

Kerry,
    1989 GL1500 Goldwing
    1984 VF700C aka Ye Olde MagnaWing

2 wheels > than 4 wheels. BELOWaverageBOB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kdf9511 View Post
    You might look into a Tent Cot. http://store.kamprite.com/catalog/ They make a small trailer for towing behind a bicycle. I was thinking about doing something simalr with a Harbor Freight trailer and my Sears X-Cargo.
    Very nice! but
    # Weight Rating up to 260 lbs (120 kg ).
    that may be an issue, I weigh in at around 200 and the SO is about 140.

My plan is to totally remove my X-cargo carrier and replace it by boxing in the trailer with aluminum and fiberglass, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by BELOWaverageBOB View Post
    Very nice! but that may be an issue, I weigh in at around 200 and the SO is about 140.

Well according to this the /Kamp-Rite-Oversize-TentCot has a "Weight Rating in excess of 350 lbs (150 kg). "