Thread: Kayak Hauler ...

Re: Kayak Hauler ...

Hey G, there are no Pics...lol

(Threadstarter)

Having 2 boats myself I'll be watching this one closely

Sidecars Rule! ☺

The first time I ever pulled a "trailer" with a motorcycle, was about 1969. I towed a canoe from South Milwaukee to my brother's place in Sturgeon Bay, about 150 miles. A friend had an axle from an old milk cart. He had made it out of a piece of pipe and two 1955 Buick front hubs and tires. We tied/duct taped it to one end of the overturned canoe and tied the other end to the seat rail on my 1942 Harley Davidson. The paddles were duct taped to the inside of the boat. My girlfriend and I made it all the way, but unknown to us, the paddles came loose and dragged the pavement for enough of the trip that we arrived with a pair of sticks.

(Threadstarter)

Next phase in the Kayak hauler build is welding in two carrier rails for the Kayak cradles to mount on. I used 1"1/4" X 1" X 1/8" steel tubing for the rails.
    They are spaced in 9" from each end, using the edge of the H.F. frame stake pockets as a locator ...
    In the first picture, you'll notice the front tongue hanger. Since I will need the tongue to be 7 foot long, (5 foot from the front edge of the trailer frame to the hitch coupler) I welded two hangers in place, cut from 2" x 1/8" angle iron ...one set in the center of the front frame rail, and the other on the middle rail ...
    I'm using 2" x 2" x 1/8 square tubing for the tongue, and I'll be bolting it in place, rather than welding it, as this will allow me to remove the tongue at summers end, to make storing the trailer easier.

More pictures ...

(Threadstarter)

Today, I mounted the H.F. fenders to the trailer frame, and installed the tongue, after welding a little V shaped do-hicky to the bottom side near the end, to hold the coupler up out of the dirt when unhooked from the bike.
    Then I gave the unpainted metal a shot of primer, and a coat of luxurious gloss black rattle can paint.

Master of MY universe

Looks good.....

Going to make for some wide corner turns though.... that or some tire tracks on the sidewalks..

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    Looks good.....

Going to make for some wide corner turns though.... that or some tire tracks on the sidewalks..
    Actually, the pictures are deceiving ... it's only 14 inches longer from axle to coupler, than our camper.
    Don't think the added tongue length will present a problem. Hope not anyway ...

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Hey will you slow down a little! I guess I should have told ya you would finish your new trailer before I get mine done! I did manage to get some primer sprayed on mine the other day.

It's looking good!
    Sarcasm: Just one of the many free services I provide.

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster