Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel canister interchangeability

Fuel canister interchangeability

I have two camp stoves: a Coleman Duel-Fuel 533 and an MSR Pocket Rocket which uses a red Isobutane/Propane Premium Blend fuel canister. I have noticed that MSR fuel canisters are not all that readily available, but the Coleman Butane/Propane Mix canisters are readily available at Walmart. I wondered if the Pocket Rocket would fit on and burn the Coleman fuel okay. So, I bought a Coleman canister at Walmart, screwed the Pocket Rocket onto it, and lit it up. Worked just like the MSR fuel and fired up a pretty good flame. I couldn't tell the difference between the two. However, I now know that I have other fuel options and availability for the MSR Pocket Rocket.

D. Brent Miller, writer, photographer, and independent producer
    www.DBrentMiller.com Publisher of Sojourn Chronicles
    2008 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, and 2014.5 Kawasaki KLR 650.

Re: Fuel canister interchangeability

Ya know... that's a good thing to know.

I'm thinking the next time I am at a motocamping event I may do some research and compile a list.
    Dave
    <<<< Willville in April

'99 ST1100

Hmmmm. I'll have to check that out for my Jet Boil. Thanks for the post.

I know that Coleman/Walmart won't cross with Gaz brand. They have a little different reseal valve....I thought my Gaz brand lantern might be able to use the same cylinder as my (new) stove....Oh, well.

Primus sells a 450 gram canister that will fit all the butane/blend stoves and lanterns, at least the ones I have (jet boil and coleman exponent lantern). Its twice the size of the rest of them I've been able to find.

Quote Originally Posted by canyonman View Post
    Primus sells a 450 gram canister that will fit all the butane/blend stoves and lanterns, at least the ones I have (jet boil and coleman exponent lantern). Its twice the size of the rest of them I've been able to find.
    Campingaz has some 470gram canisters... but they are hard to find.. the last time I found some online I ordered a case.. I still have 3 or 4 left and about 4 that still have some in them... I'm good for at least another year or two.
    Joe (My Travels) 2014 Super Tenere

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by VStromTom View Post
    Hmmmm. I'll have to check that out for my Jet Boil. Thanks for the post.
    Tom, a customer rep at Bass Pro told me that Jet Boil and MSR can use the same fuel canister--same fitting. If that's true, then the Coleman canister will fit all three, OR the MSR canister will fit all three, etc.

Brent

I believe that most of the canisters interchange. It is the mix of the fuel inside that is different.
    Larry

STUFF - I need more Stuff.....

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by VFR View Post
    I believe that most of the canisters interchange. It is the mix of the fuel inside that is different.
    This is why I wanted to experiment. The canisters do not list proportions of contents. What is the difference between the MSR Isobutane/Propane and the Coleman Butane/Propane mix? I don't know. Comparing to gasoline, are we talking the difference between BP vs. Mobil 87 octane--the active ingredients? I don't know.

But, I can say any difference in the way they burned was beyond my observation skills. The flame and heat looked the same to me. That being the case, my experiment reassures me that there is expanded availability of fuel while on the road. AND, I thought this info worth sharing.

Brent

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DBrent View Post
    This is why I wanted to experiment. The canisters do not list proportions of contents. What is the difference between the MSR Isobutane/Propane and the Coleman Butane/Propane mix? I don't know. Comparing to gasoline, are we talking the difference between BP vs. Mobil 87 octane--the active ingredients? I don't know.

But, I can say any difference in the way they burned was beyond my observation skills. The flame and heat looked the same to me. That being the case, my experiment reassures me that there is expanded availability of fuel while on the road. AND, I thought this info worth sharing.

Brent
    Brent I agree, I couldn't tell any difference from MSR or Coleman either. I even went as far as using them side by side and switching them on the two different stoves I have.
    Sarcasm: Just one of the many free services I provide.

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster