View Poll Results: How many prefere a campfire at night

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • A fire makes it more enjoyable.

30 100.00%
  • Don't like the smoke smell.

0 0%
  • Concerned about sparks burning holes in the tent.

0 0%
  • Hate gathering wood for the fire.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Campfires

Re: Campfires

I love fires. This is how I like to do mine, in a Dakota Fire Pit. Keeps it low profile and great for cooking and kicks out a lot of heat without kicking a lot of light out. It's kind of hard to see but it's the dug out spot just below my bike and infront of my tent. I didn't want to use the on ground fire pit that somone had put together.

What's the point of diggin a hole in the ground for a campfire you can hardly see? ...
    To my way of thinkin a "campfire" should look like this ...

And speaking of holes in the ground ... I sure hope you dug that hole in YOUR back yard, and not in some nice campground ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014-01-03 09.01.23.jpg  

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

I second the Duraflame log idea. After a beach campfire with wet wood on the Oregon coast over Christmas (successful but hard-fought), we next visited a daughter in Seattle who threw a Duraflame log in her fireplace. That thing lit right away, and burned perfect for at least 3 hours. The label claims they are cleaner burning than wood and put out less emissions. Next beach campfire I do is going to be a couple of Duraflames. And I will probably throw one or two in my Kwik Kamp trailer.

Also a cool fire, google Swedish Candle fire. You take a piece of firewood, stand it on end and cut it like a pie down to within about 6 inches of the bottom.... so it should have 6 wedges and some chainsaw grooves in it. Pour a little flammable fluid down the middle and light it. They claim it will burn that way for a couple of hours.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydqGJEOz8VU"]Swedish Torch/Canadian Candle - YouTube[/ame]
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kayakinbiker View Post
    Camping is not camping without a fire!
    +1!! The fire is the shiznit!!
    ---2006 Kawasaki Concours---

I like a small fire when Im out camping, So much in fact that I bring my own wood with me. I have about 20 - 12 inch long Fir 2x4's that pack perfectly in the bottom of either the trailer or my saddle bags. No wasted space and kiln dried no messy bark or wood chips.

I usually cook over charcoal brickettes ,after I eat I dump the left over brickettes on the fir 2x4 firewood, it lights up quick and burns clean and hot . 5 pieces makes a nice little fire that burns for about an hour.
    You can usually pick up more wood for free at any lumber yard that has cutting service.They always have scrap. Pallets are usually hardwood and will burn longer but for me the hassel of dealing with the nails makes it not worth the extra effort.
    97 GL1500SE Darkside
    custom built tent trailer
    I wonder where that road goes? Lets see!
    Over night campers welcome repeat......

Shipping pallets are definitely a good idea if you're looking to bring your own wood as a lot are oak. However, if you're the kind to worry about inhaling chemicals then look for ones that are stamped "heat treated" or "HT"
    Do I really look like a guy with a plan...