Thread: Itch-Kep-Pe Park, Columbus, MT

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Itch-Kep-Pe Park, Columbus, MT

We overnighted at this city run park on Sept 21/09.

Itch-Kep-Pe Park(say that fast 10 times ) is located on the southern edge of the small Montana town of Columbus.
    It is situated along the northern shores of Yellowstone River and is at an altitude of approximately 3,575'
    This city run park consists of 2 larger loops, connected by a single dirt road/path(complete with large potholes and puddles)
    While the entrance of the park is paved, the pavement ends at the 1st 'cross road', located by the only washroom facilities in the park

The 2nd loop is basically comprised of 'primitive' campsites, with no potable water or vault toilets that I saw. There are perhaps 15 campsites located in that section which is also bordered by the Stillwater Golf Course. Mainly RVs use this section and I would only use this section as a 'last resort'.

The 1st, or 'main' loop/section of the park contains approximately 30, large, mainly grassy sites, with some adjacent to the river.
    All sites here have a picnic table and a fire ring and most are shaded by one, or more large Cottonwoods(potential 'widow makers' in a high wind situation, which is common in valley bottoms. IE: here)
    There is one restroom with flush toilets and a tap along the back of it, for potable water. There are no showers, laundry facilities, or WiFi available, although 'Main St' is just a few blocks away.
    There is a train yard near by and while we heard trains in the afternoon/early evening, I don't remember them being a 'bother' during the night.
    This is a very 'basic', no frills campground and that is reflected in the cost, which is by donations. It sees it fair share of locals driving in/visiting and has regular/frequent patrols by the local constabulary
    This campsite served our purpose for an overnight stay well, while riding from Yellowstone NP, to Glacier NP, via the Chief Joseph and Beartooth Scenic Highways.

Sorry, ..... I forgot to take pictures of this campground.

Campground Location: - http://tinyurl.com/yjpumw5

Campground Description: - http://www.travbuddy.com/Itch-Kep-Pe-Park-v258718

Dusty
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

just another Saddle Tramp
    (Threadstarter)

Re: Itch-Kep-Pe Park, Columbus, MT

I stayed at this campsite again, while riding from Glacier NP, and on my way to ride the Beartooth/Chief Joseph Scenic Byways, again. (great rides, both)
    Just as I was approaching Columbus, a storm front was moving in, packing high winds, with a smattering of very large drops.
    When I arrived at the park, lightning appeared, so I decided to make a very primitive 'camp' under the lone picnic shelter, rather than risk a large limb from one of the very large Cottonwoods snapping off and falling on me, or my tent.

I discovered an electric outlet (or 2 ?) along the back wall of the washroom (near the water spigot), so you could charge up your cell phone, or lap top with no problem. (which I did)

Conditions during my visit on Aug 26, 2011; - temps were 107*+, very windy, with rain threatening, although all we got was a few brief periods of a smattering of very large rain drops. Thunder/Lightning started up @ 9pm and contined all through the night, but seemed to be centred over the Beartooth/Yellowstone area, to the SW.
    Seeing as how I was just bedded down on the floor of the picnic shelter, I had a real 'visual treat' with all the lightning during the night!

Cost was still free (and no trains were heard this time).

TIP: - If you are headed to/from Red Lodge to ride the Beartooth/Chief Joseph/Yellowstone NP, SR 78 is a great road, with lots of fast sweepers, very little traffic and great views!

Dusty

you guys are great with all the knowledge about all this great roads and places to stay while away from home.

2006-2011 HD Sportster 1200L
    2011-Present Honda GoldWing GL1800

Thanks Dusty, good info on the park.
    Gary

2005 Honda VTX 1800,2001 Honda Shadow VLX, 1970 Honda Passport 70
    2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH, American Legion, NRA
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 1981 Honda Goldwing 1100
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 175
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70
    sold 1965 Honda 100

Is that Shamus's chair?
    Gene

Darkside # 751
    May God keep us all safe, and full of love.
    2016 Road Glide, and 2014 piggy back cargo trailer

just another Saddle Tramp
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by moodygne View Post
    Is that Shamus's chair?
    Gene
    When I'm not in it, yes, he thinks it is.

That would scare the cr@p outta me! Lightning and laying under that rooftop! I have a fear of lightning!......don't ask where I spent part of a night when the sky went green one night!HAHA!!

Quote Originally Posted by moodygne View Post
    Is that Shamus's chair?
    Gene
    Yes it is, so keep off...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    When I'm not in it, yes, he thinks it is.
    Ya know, you could just give it to me...