Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee Creek Campground, Lolo NF, MT

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Lee Creek Campground, Lolo NF, MT

We stayed at Lee Creek Campground on June 16/09 and we had the upper loop of this campground all to ourselves.
    This campground consists of two loops and is situated just off of the famed US 12, between Lolo Pass Visitors Center and Lolo Hot Springs Resort.
    The lower loop is located alongside of Lee Creek and has some heavily wooded, fairly unattractive sites. We opted to stay in the 'upper loop', where the sites are set among a less dense stand of woods
    There is a clean, wheelchair friendly vault toilet and a couple of water spigots, along with 1 large metal 'Bear Box/food locker' for everyone to store their food and other items like toothpaste/deodorant that give off odours, safely away from the bears(never saw any sign) on the upper loop.
    While traffic noise from US 12 can be heard throughout the campground, there isn't much traffic come dusk/nightfall, so it isn't much of a concern.
    The road throughout the campground is paved and there isn't a whole lot of privacy on the upper loop sites, due to no real understory, the sites are of generous size and spaced fairly far apart.
    This is a good campground for both the 'transient' motorcyclist and those wishing to explore the Lolo Pass/Hot Spring area.
    Cost us $10(?) for 2 bikes/tents /night.

Lee Creek Campground location: - http://tinyurl.com/yzgbawe

Lee Creek Campground description: - http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/nor....htm#lee_creek

Dusty

Re: Lee Creek Campground, Lolo NF, MT

Dusty,
    I was able to ride on Lolo pass this past september. We stopped at the pass to enjoy a break but had miles to make before nightfall. Route 12 heading west to Koosikia and then headed south to New Meadows for the evening. Lolo pass is a fantastic ride through wonderful country, in fact I really enjoyed all the roads we were on in Idaho.. Thanks for the photos and campground info...

Eric M

just another Saddle Tramp
    (Threadstarter)

Yes, US 12 is a great road for riding, - fast sweepers along the river, light traffic. We were east bound, hooking up with 12 when we dropped down off of SR 3, just east of Lewiston. We did run into some construction delays in the eastern Idaho section, but once past them, we motored!

(Threadstarter)

I stayed at this campsite again on July 16, 2011, with fellow forum member Winger77.

I noticed that the bear box they had in the upper loop of the campground is no longer present.

Temps in the mid to upper 80s. Night time lows of mid 50s

Also saw/metup with forum member Halfling and his wife there.

Very little traffic noise this time.

Cost was $10/night

Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

970Mike & I camped at an FS campground on top of Lolo last year on a ride up that way. This one was a smaller campground with no amenities & no visitor center. Could have been one of the two. The sites had a paved drive to park the bikes in & room for our two tents in the trees. Nice ride down in the morning for breakfast at Kooskia.

This year we may ride up instead of down. That whole area is really pretty.
    Larry

STUFF - I need more Stuff.....

(Threadstarter)

There are a number of small Nat Forest campgrounds on the ID side of Lolo Pass. Some right beside Hwy 12, some not. Traffic along Hwy 12 is very minimal at night, (due to it's remoteness) so traffic noise at night is not really an issue.

Mr. Boots--I have been reading this for several months and can only dream of doing the riding you do. The pictures and places are just amazing. You do provide some inspiration in my future trip planning. The information that you and the other riders summit is PRICELESS. Thanks so and hope to meet you on the road someday. James

(Threadstarter)

Thanks, James!

Just trying to give back to the community a little bit and if in doing so, it inspires others like yourself to not only dream, but to actually move on past that stage and get out to explore the amazing sights that abound out there and combine it with camping, then I can consider my goal achieved!

Dusty

Yea Dusty your going to run out of roads soon if you don,t slow down. aka Kylesmuskie.

GOOD STUFF KEN.I thought you rode solo most of the time, but all your pictures show a friend with you. Either way you the man.
    Gary.

Darkside # 751
    May God keep us all safe, and full of love.
    2016 Road Glide, and 2014 piggy back cargo trailer