Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee - how do you do it

(Threadstarter)

Re: Coffee - how do you do it

I made some "cowboy coffee" yesterday just to see how it worked out. I added coffe grounds (right out of the can) and water to my cook pan, brought it to a boil and poured it through a regular coffee filter into my cup. Didn't taste half bad. Some sugar and it would have been good to go. This still leaves me with finding a clean/secure way of carrying coffe grounds on the bike (and sugar too).

I had the wife pickup some Folgers coffee pods at Walmart last night and will try them out today. If they work good it would be great cause they'd be easy to stow and carry on the bike and make no mess to clean up.

This is what the pods look like

Quote Originally Posted by sandman53

I think this is what Joe was looking at a few months ago, he found them at Target.

I prefer drip coffe, the water does not have to be as hot. Hot water releases the acid in the coffe grounds. At my local grocery store (H.E.B.) they sell one cup, drip coffee makers for about $2, as I recall. It is a plastic upside down cone with a flange at the bottom. You put in a cone shaped filter, add coffee and sit it on top of your coffee cup. Heat water and pour into filter, it drips through and into cup. The coffee maker is cheap, small, lightweight and makes excellent coffee. All I have to do is throw away the filter full of wet grounds and rinse the maker and cup, easy cleanup. I throw the filters in a ziplock. I saved a couple of small, plastic peanut butter jars and carry coffe in one and sugar in the other. I came up with this system during my younger, backpacking days and it still works for me.

Rod

I used to use the coffee bags (like tea bags), but since I started using a French press and high quality coffee, I've never looked back. I've been taking the glass one from our kitchen, but I really must get one of those lexan ones from Campmor. Totally worth the added bulk!
    Alan in CT
    2003 Kawasaki Concours, 2005 Ural Tourist
    IBA # 23064

Folger's has a tea-bag type coffee that's not half bad.

a.k.a. GSer & Roberts FrioPoint's Avatar

I was addicted to these for awhile, and drank two or three a day. I took some to Big Bend with me last February and unfortunately found out that they hardly work when it is cold. It was 32 degrees one morning, and the coffee barely got warm. However, they work great in warmer temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman53

REI has the JetBoil on sale for $59.95. Looks pretty cool.

What's up Will? Your old VFR's getting a new home today.

Quote Originally Posted by wengland
    Easy - JetBoil stove with French Press. $80, and you can use it to fix food, too!

Makes pretty damn good coffee.

Will

Looks like JetBoil is the way to go for me, ordered mine from campmor today.

Gordon
    Gordon

(Threadstarter)

I made a cup of coffee with the coffee pods yesterday. Filled my cooking pan with about a cup of water, dropped in 1 pod and brought it to a boil, removed the pod from the pan and poured the coffee into a drinking cup. Added some sugar (like I always do) and it was fine coffee - especially considering cleanup is minimal. Just toss the used pod and wipe out the pan and cup.

I'm kind of a coffee snob living in Seattle and all...

For one person, those stovetop espresso makers like someone posted from Ikea work really well. Just make you some real strong espresso with that thing on a single burner and then add milk to taste. Those things usually make espresso so hot that adding cold milk makes it just perfect for drinking.

For more than one person, they do make larger stovetop espresso makers, but now you're starting to get bulky and heavy as they do not collapse or pack well. So for standard coffee or multiple people, I've found that either a camping stainless stovetop percolator or just boiling some water and using a french press works best.

French presses can be found in all shapes and sizes. One bonus of a french press is that they can also be used for tea - loose or bagged. They can be had in metal, glass or lexan type plastics. Again, Ikea usually carries a nice two person sized one. I prefer stainless or lexan type ones for moto camping as they don't break and are lighter than glass ones.

The percolator I have I got from REI I think and is stainless. It packs well because you can stuff other things inside it like silverware, wash rags or whatever. One cool thing about a percolator is that you can make it as strong as you like by just leaving it on the burner longer. You can make some real tar with it if required!

The most important part of course is the coffee. The best smooth, yet bold and delicious coffee for either drip or espresso can be mail ordered from here from a small local independent roasteria:
    http://www.espressovivace.com
    2007 Yamaha FJR1300A, 2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 LE