Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: My 09 Alaska Trip with Black and Blue..........

#%@*, it's raining again!
    (Threadstarter)

Re: My 09 Alaska Trip with Black and Blue..........

Quote Originally Posted by Yamifj1200 View Post
    Steve, great start on your trip report. Trust me I know how much time it can take to put one together. You know its going to be a serious trip if your bringing along spare tires...lol I am looking forward to rest if the trip.
    We all watched and waited for news from the big trip. Hope to see you in May...

Eric M

ps. I have the same set of pots and pans.... good stuff
    Eric, I wish I had done what most people do and just had the spare tires shipped up there, but for some reason I thought I will rip out a sidewall I guess. I've had good luck with that cookware so far, money well spent.
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by ImRubicon View Post
    looks like you could gain weight on a trip with black n blue
    Believe it or not, we all lost weight on the trip! We ate very healthy on this trip. Very good too!

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by G wizz View Post
    Thanks Zigg ...
    Needed a break from the bordom of being snowed in ... Just hope we don't have a power failure now.
    Can't wait for the next chaptor of your 'Adventure of a life time'
    Nice pictures, by the way.

G wizz
    I should be able to keep ya busy reading into the new year as slow as I type!

Hey Ziggy,
    What happened After the picture of the three of you stoping along side of the road for lunch, all I see is little boxes with a red X in it.
    No more pictures.

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by G wizz View Post
    Hey Ziggy,
    What happened After the picture of the three of you stoping along side of the road for lunch, all I see is little boxes with a red X in it.
    No more pictures.
    G are you on dial up? If so you may have to reload the page a couple of times to get them all to load. I used to have to do that when I was on dial up.

As far as I know they are all working, I can see them all after going back.

Site Supporter

The Drool Log

The last time I saw your "trip log", it was pretty worn out.
    Seems that every time you starting writing in it, you were nodding off in camp or you took it into the tent with you at night.
    I'll bet it just disintegrated from the sleepy time drool.

Man, were you misled!
    Just 'cause I was in front didn't mean I was navigating.
    I was just heading north and didn't know where I was half the time!
    Remember the left turn (south) one morning out of a campground near
    Destruction Bay on the way north? You and Ernie had to convince me I was wrong (which I was)...but boy, was I twisted around!

But don't worry...got it all figured out now. If you don't recognize a pic you have, just email it to us and we'll know where it is for you. Ern's got an intense trip log to refer to.

(Threadstarter)

Re: The Drool Log

Quote Originally Posted by Black and Blue View Post
    The last time I saw your "trip log", it was pretty worn out.
    Seems that every time you starting writing in it, you were nodding off in camp or you took it into the tent with you at night.
    I'll bet it just disintegrated from the sleepy time drool.

Man, were you misled!
    Just 'cause I was in front didn't mean I was navigating.
    I was just heading north and didn't know where I was half the time!
    Remember the left turn (south) one morning out of a campground near
    Destruction Bay on the way north? You and Ernie had to convince me I was wrong (which I was)...but boy, was I twisted around!

But don't worry...got it all figured out now. If you don't recognize a pic you have, just email it to us and we'll know where it is for you. Ern's got an intense trip log to refer to.
    Now I wasn't going to bring the wrong turn up, you're telling on yourself! As Mr. TMO would say, "You could have just looked it up on your UPS!" (GPS)

I think my little notebook may still be in my little pelican case that's in the black hole basement garage. Should still be nice and moist. Never fear I'll find it by next year. I know I didn't write down all the names of the campgrounds, but I think I got the cities.

Site Supporter

You are doing an awesome job with the report. I've been looking forward to it for a long time. You have pics that we don't.

I thought you realized that Ernie stuck me up front because I was the cameraman and he got tired of losing me in his mirrors every time I stopped to take a picture. The 'fun house' mirrors on the Urals made it impossible to keep track of anybody behind us. I thought you had 5 headlights the way it vibrates.

Pretty hard to get lost up there anyway with the lack of roads...just keep heading north/west...and you had "Blankin' Betty", the GPS. Did you ever figure out how it works?

Okay, enough of a break...somehow you got your sweetie off the computer...NOW POST SOME MORE PICTURES AND REPORTS FOR US!

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Black and Blue View Post
    You are doing an awesome job with the report. I've been looking forward to it for a long time. You have pics that we don't.

I thought you realized that Ernie stuck me up front because I was the cameraman and he got tired of losing me in his mirrors every time I stopped to take a picture. The 'fun house' mirrors on the Urals made it impossible to keep track of anybody behind us. I thought you had 5 headlights the way it vibrates.

Pretty hard to get lost up there anyway with the lack of roads...just keep heading north/west...and you had "Blankin' Betty", the GPS. Did you ever figure out how it works?

Okay, enough of a break...somehow you got your sweetie off the computer...NOW POST SOME MORE PICTURES AND REPORTS FOR US!
    I haven't learned how to put in any "custom" routes yet. So far I just punch in the address and let Betty b**ch!

I found my little notebook and remembered that Ernie took a lot better notes than I did!

Okay, okay, I'll do a little more tonight, then I'll have to upload some more pictures. I was trying to save some for tomorrow!

(Threadstarter)

Okay I think this is day 8 for me, we head north, miles and miles of Pine trees with the road carved out. We roll through Prince George as quickly as possible to get out of city traffic.

We did still see a few scenic views before hitting the city.

We ended up at Crooked Creek Campground, what a beautiful place way out in the middle of nowhere. I rode out to make a phone call and almost had to use the GPS to get back in to our site. This was one of my favorite campgrounds of the trip. The skeeters were starting to get bigger, but the weather was great.

Yes we had table cloths, we be fancy!

Kirby wants to know why we aren't riding.

Awesome lake view just down from the tent!

The next day we made it to Mile 0 campground at Dawson Creek and I didn't remember to take a picture of my tent till later that night.

We got there early and got a few things done before we hit the Alaska Highway.

Ernie and I wondered if we could change our oil at the local WalMart. As our luck goes, their service department happened to be closed that day so we couldn't ask if we could change our oil and leave our old oil with them.

That didn't stop us! We slid the drain pans under the locked gate that stored their used oil tank. On the return trip I stopped back in to change oil and they wouldn't let me buy a drain pan and funnel. They insisted I use theirs instead of buying one. All the Canadians I came in contact with were some of the nicest folks I have ever met.

Got the must have picture at the Alaska Highway sign.

The owners of the campground told us they had a foot of snow the week before we got there.

Stay tuned, we'll head up the Alaska Highway after I get some more pics loaded. I've got a full day tomorrow so hang in there.