Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My 09 Alaska Trip with Black and Blue..........

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

My 09 Alaska Trip with Black and Blue..........

I thought that since it's getting cold out I would finally get started on my Trip Report from this summer. I've probably forgotten a lot of the names of places along the way but hopefully Colleen and Ernie can help me remember and put things in the correct order! I'm borrowing some of their pics too. I'll get started and add to it as time allows.

Here is a link to the report Colleen and Ernie posted along the way. http://www.motocampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2051

Packed up and leaving out from Belton, KY on a nice May afternoon.

I had decided to stay at KOA campgrounds while traveling to meet Colleen and Ernie and I have to say they were all nice along the way with some being really nice!

I had great weather the first day, and ended up at Kansas City and had a dinner of Ramen noodles.

The next day I had more great weather but some road construction, which would be the first of many miles of road construction. I ended up in Sioux Falls, SD. More Ramen noodles, just a different flavor.

The next day I was headed to Billings, MT. The weather started out sunny but quickly got dark, wet, and windy.

I stopped and put on rain gear, ran about 75 while leaning to the right most of the way to Sturgis where I stopped and grabbed something to eat. But I did make it finally.

I met Dave that night who was also headed to AK on his GS. He turned me on to a great imported beer, I wish I could remember what brand it was. I fixed breakfast and talked to Dave and a couple of guys who were headed from Salt Lake City to tour all of the Harley factories across the country. I've got their names written down somewhere.

Here's Dave at breakfast.

Next day I was headed to Missoula to meet up with Colleen and Ernie, another day with rain and a bit colder, but ended up nice at the end of the day. I ran into Dave at a rest stop adding some more clothes somewhere along the way. That was the last I'd see of him, hope he had a good trip.

As you can see, Colleen and Ernie were eating a little better than I was. Here is the meal I had waiting on me at the campground!

Here's the camp.

Got to meet HOGCDR who helped me get hooked up with a bike shop who riveted on a master link for me after spitting off a clip style. Must have come off during the 90+ mph ride across the deserted two lane of Montana. He took Ernie and I for coffee and laid out the gas stops he took on his trip for us. Thanks again Mike!

Here are all of us at the campground.

Next time we'll head to Canada...............
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Re: My 09 Alaska Trip with Black and Blue..........

Was Alaska a state yet when you headed out???

I've been looking forward to this for quite some time, this is a great start. Thanks....

Thanks Zigg ...
    Needed a break from the bordom of being snowed in ... Just hope we don't have a power failure now.
    Can't wait for the next chaptor of your 'Adventure of a life time'
    Nice pictures, by the way.

G wizz

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

Steve, great start on your trip report. Trust me I know how much time it can take to put one together. You know its going to be a serious trip if your bringing along spare tires...lol I am looking forward to rest if the trip.
    We all watched and waited for news from the big trip. Hope to see you in May...

Eric M

ps. I have the same set of pots and pans.... good stuff

#%@*, it's raining again!
    (Threadstarter)

Thanks guys, I'll try to get some more up later tonight!

looks like you could gain weight on a trip with black n blue
    2014 Valkyrie Red the fastest color!
    Remember if its old and you are old its not worth as much as you paid for it

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by bigtom View Post
    was alaska a state yet when you headed out???

TMO, Steve

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Black and Blue View Post

TMO, Steve
    I just got off the phone with Mr. TMO!

(Threadstarter)

After a day of resting up we head north toward Canada, after traveling just a short distance we hit a dab of road construction. Then we stop for a little break for Audrey and Kirby before crossing the border.

Colleen grabs a picture of me waiting at the border station.

We get across with no problems, I think the dogs were the hot ticket. Every crossing we hit they came out with doggie treats and were amazed that they were traveling in the sidecars. Ernie brought a shotgun on the trip and all they seemed to be concerned with was the paperwork and the $25.00 canadian cash. They didn't even want to see the shotgun at any of the crossings!

Here I am on the other side.

Our first night in Canada finds us in Radium Hot Springs at Dry Gulch campground.

The park ranger told us that there were bears in the area, but we ain't skeered of no stinkin bears, we are hungry. Watermellon anyone?

The next day we head out to downtown Radium Hot Springs.

We are headed for the Icefield Parkway, I kind of think I have an idea where we are headed, but we have Colleen the great navigator on this trip.

We only travel a short distance and we see this cuddly little guy on the side of the road.

We travel on north and hit the Continental Divide.

Looking at this pic I think I over packed just a tad! I later found out that I could have left about 3/4 of the clothes I'd brought at home. I mainly just washed and wore a couple of pairs of pants and my bibs at every other campground. If anyone is planning this trip three changes of clothes will pretty much cover you as most of the campgrounds had coin operated laundries.

We cross over into Alberta.

I go ahead a little and catch a couple of pics of Colleen, Ernie, and the kids as they are pulling over. It was funny, little Audrey would ride down in the hack until Ernie started to slow down and then she would pop up and see what was going on. Big Kirby was checking out everything along the way.

We saw a few scenic sights on this road.

Here's a lunch stop along the way.

Here is another pic that you will see later on, it will be a lot sharper as there were fires in the area. A couple of months ago Rider magazine used the same shot in their Alaska article.

We gas up on the one station on the Parkway and you can see how smokey it was. Gas was around $1.80 a liter, the highest price on the trip! Glad I was getting about 60 mpg at the speeds we were traveling!

We rode a while and ran into this hard headed fellow.

Saw a few more nice sights along the way. They had what looked to be a monster truck chassis under a school bus that would take you out on the glacier for a fee. I didn't get a picture of it though.

A funny thing happened while I was taking these pictures, I had thought Colleen and Ernie had went on ahead of me. So I go tearing out after them, not realizing that they had pulled over and were behind me taking pictures also. Doh! I pulled over after a while and stretched and walked around a little and they showed up. They were cracking up, as they had saw me take off like an idiot up the road after them.

We ended the day at Whistlers camp ground. This was the only campground that didn't let us share a campsite, but they had free showers.
    If I remember correctly these were the showers where you pushed a button on the wall and the shower would spray for what seemed like 20 seconds and then you had to keep pressing it over and over. I guess that's how they conserve water.

Colleen caught me cooking more Ramen noodles!

The caribou were calving so we were warned to give them plenty of space. This gal was almost in my tent when I woke up the next morning.

More in a bit..............

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by bigTom View Post
    Was Alaska a state yet when you headed out???

I've been looking forward to this for quite some time, this is a great start. Thanks....
    Quality work takes time! I'm going to have to call Colleen and Ernie, I've lost my trip notes and I'm going on memory!