Thread: Lake Guntersville State Park

Lake Guntersville State Park

Approximately 1.5 hrs north of B'ham. We camped (not on bikes) there this past weekend (11/20/09) and had a pleasant experience for the most part. Huge campground for the hook-up RV's and such.....Primative sites are not marked = first come, first served......no boundaries. Primative sites are right along the beautiful lake. There is a small store at the front gate.......and a multi-million dollar renovated Lodge up top the park (about 3 miles from the campground) that overlooks the lake. They have banquet facilities, bar, and a huge dining room with Buffet's Sat & Sunday, along with motel-type rooms available. The restrooms and shower facilities were clean, and deserted (most people were in RV's last weekend). One thing that ticked me off was the tent rule........there were 3 of us, each with a 1-2 man tent.......we were charged $12 per tent, per night. I guess if we had 25 people in our party with a HUGE tent, we would only be charged $12???? There are numerous hiking trails inside the park.....and lots of deer. I think this park is probably covered up in the summertime with boaters.......just a guess. They also have lake-side cabins and chalets (up top) starting at $99 per night, but will only sleep 4. I recommend this Park, but remember, I only stayed there once (2 nights). We also drove over to BUCK'S POCKET STATE PARK. It is small, out in the boonies, and secluded. I don't believe they have much in the way of supplies (store) either, just a ranger HQ shack and RR/Shwr Bldg.

Re: Lake Guntersville State Park

To update....This park was hit hard by tornadoes a couple years ago now. Its lost many of the shade trees and the big CG is fairly wide open with lots of RV sites. Bucks pocket would be my preference in that area.

But, the lake is beautiful and clean. Lots of fishing and boating there. Good restaurants in the area like Top O' River for catfish and a little Cafe/Store a few miles north in Langston is a good place. The Sauty Store has comfort food all week, breakfast buffets and weekend dinner buffets. The Lodge at the SP did not impress me food wise, lunch was mainly sandwiches and service was slow and fairly poor. Haven't tried dinner there, but I doubt I'll return after my lunch experience. The Lodge does have nice rooms over looking the lake.

Re: Lake Guntersville State Park

We stayed in a 3 bedroom cabin with 2 other couples when we were there in 2006. The cabin was spacious with 2 bathrooms and we had a great time. We did most of our own cooking so can't comment on the lodge food. I would go back to camp. We saw lots of deer and it's close to some nice riding... Little River Canyon National Reserve just east of Fort Payne and Huntsville is a short ride to visit the Space Center.

~Stephanie

2008 Dark Red Goldwing GL1800, level 4 - "yes, it's mine and no, you can't ride it!"
    2013 Aspen Classic Camper