Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I Too Now Have a Trailer Project

I Too Now Have a Trailer Project

Seems everyones getting a trailer or building one themselves. Well I too now have one on the way, should have it next week. Found it in the classifieds of one of the many forums I frequent. Could not believe my eye's when I saw the add:

I used to be a dealer and have this left over. Chassis (running gear) complete with wheel/tire/frame/tongue/coupler. New condition except for shop dirt. Please note: CHASSIS ONLY - THERE IS NO BODY! Photos available. $250.00 plus actual shipping/packaging costs.

Was exsactly what I was looking for. A 1 wheeled trailer with no box! I contacted the owner, sent out a check and its now on the way.

Here's the picture sent to me.

It's one of the originals from New Zealand. Brand new, never been behind a bike. The box went on another (warranty issue) and it went to a shelf where its been sitting for years,

I have plans and an idea of what I want to pull behind my BMW GSA. Stay tuned as I will take many pictures once I get started.
    Keith R.
    Sun City, SoCal
    05' Honda GoldWing
    AKA ownst100 STOC 1211

Mellow

Re: I Too Now Have a Trailer Project

That's cool Keith.

Can't wait to see what the body looks like.

Great find -- sounds perfect. Good luck with it and be sure to post pics of your progress.

Site Supporter

Wow. Can't wait to see what kind of gadgets will be installed in that trailer of your. Good luck.

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

OH CRAP! Gee thanks Keith, we will be building a trailer at the same time. Yours will be a miracle of CAD design, stainless steel, titanium, carbon fiber, lazer etching, and solar power! Mine will look like it was built from the book, "Motorcycle Trailers for Redneck Dummies"!

Seriously, I can't wait to see what you do with this trailer chassis. I have followed your work here and at ADVrider, and I'm a huge fan of your skills!
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Good find can't wait to see what you do with it.

Just one thing I thought Trailers were for boats. Sorry I just have to every once and a while.
    Trailace/ Rick
    “You can tell the size of the man by the size of the things that bother him”

(Threadstarter)

Im going to try and keep it simple But I said that too when I bought the big GSA. I said it would only get a couple of Farkles. Nothing more than a GPS and an XM Radio I said to my friends. After my last bike an ST1100 which had too many Farkles to count the GSA was somewhat doomed. I tried not to Farkle but I could not help myself. This trailer is small and what im really looking to do is get all the camping gear off the bike and into the trailer. Take some of the load off the bike. Clothing, riding gear and food will stay with the bike. Have plans to insulate the right hand Jesse with foam, install a drain and have it shot with Rino Linner. Should make a sizeable removable ice chest.

The trailer box will be made of aluminum sheet probably .063 6061-T6 with lots of seal and rivets. Bottom will be the same only a little thicker, .090. It will be a little wider than a uni-go and have a few built in farkles. I want to be able to bring a BIG GUY chair, preferably a folding rocker. And on occation a bicycle. For a couple years now I have been planning to build a trailer and have collected many cool little dodads and one off's in the way of hardware and such.

Its still all up in the air. Its on the way and should have it by the end of next week. Once in front of me I can do some measuring and go from there.

Will Unigo sell you a body only? I'm sure you should be able to get for a decent cost, ...my thought anyways

Cheers

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by TWT Rider View Post
    Will Unigo sell you a body only? I'm sure you should be able to get for a decent cost, ...my thought anyways

Cheers
    Don't want it. You loose a lot of space with all those curves and round corners. They do sell just the body and it goes for just a little more than $1100 dollars. While there I added up all the bits and pieces for what you see pictured and it came to a little more than $1800 dollars. The Uni-go has 5 cubic feet of storage. Making the new box a little wider and deeper and with square corners im hoping for 7-8 cubic feet. With a flat rectangular lid im looking for storage on top too. Threaded inserts in many spots will alow me to move mounting brakets around to where I need them. Replaced my bikes battery with an Odessey dry cell early this year. The old battery still in good shape will find its way into one of those corners on the trailer with the bike keeping both of them charged. When parked the solar pannel will take over.

Ahhhh. The first farkle, a self powered trailer.

Looking forward to the plans and execution on this project, Keith.