Thread: WeSTOC camping, Minden, NV

WeSTOC camping, Minden, NV

Does anyone have any insight as to choice camp grounds near or in Minden, NV during the last week in August? I'll just be tent camping at night and doing several of the WeSTOC planned rides during the day so I won't need the scenic Lake Tahoe ones.

John

Mellow

Re: WeSTOC camping, Minden, NV

The website mentions this campground
    http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=508 but I don't know anything about it.

I stayed in Lake Tahoe last time but I'd stay at the one above if I had to do it again.

On STO the talk kinda bounces around topaz lake and some other places. It's been my experience that campers during the westoc event are few and far between as it's pushed hard as hotel event.

There might be someone here that's going and camping so maybe they'll chime in.

Grover Hot Springs is a great place, but too many noisy kids. Right next to
    Markleeville with a small restarant and store.

There are some great places down 395 by the Walker River, but it is a fair ways down from Minden.

At the intersection of 89 Luther Pass rd. and 88 Carson pass hwy go west on Carson pass 1/4 mile from 89, there will be a gate. Dirt road goes up a couple hundred yards to tree line. Camping along tree line. Get a permit from Forest Service in South Lake Tahoe on Hwy 50.

Camp Richardson on 89 is too commerical and doesn't care about you. Fallen Leaf just North of Richardson on 89 is very nice and much better run.

What the heck is WeSTOC?
    Honda Goldwing
    '04 Titanium ABS Double Darksider
    Member - E. CLAMPUS VITUS
    IBA, NRA, Elks, Free Gazer, and a couple others

Mellow

WeSTOC is a Western ST Owners Club event that's been held for quite a few years. Here's the official site:
    http://www.stocrallies.com/westoc14

Thanks

Go to the ST-Owners forum & look under WeSTOC. There is a thread on camping & also sharing motel rooms. I had planned to camp there but for very few $ more, I shared a room. The campgrounds in the area seem to cater to motorhomes & such. Not too interested in tent campers.....
    Larry

STUFF - I need more Stuff.....

(Threadstarter)

Mellow,
    That Grover Hot Springs sounds like just the ticket. I think I would enjoy 'taking the cure'. I know that there are few campers at WeSTOCs. I was the only one camping at San Luis Obispo and stayed in the hotel at Golden, CO.
    But I've got to try the new Eureka Assault Outfitter 4 I just bought. The Kelty I bought from you worked fine for just me on the Run for the Wall 10 day rally I went on last year, but the wife unit is coming along this time, so I went for more room. The choices boiled down to the Gran Manan or the Canadian El Capitan. I got the Assault Outfitter at a good price and I liked it's military heritage. All the write ups said the package was 25" long, but the poles are only 21" so they fit in the side bags of my ST-1300. Using a compression bag, so does the tent itself. The quality is first rate though I don't think I want to test it's ability to stand up to a snow storm.

John
    Last edited by jnsgardner; 04-22-2009 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Spelling

Mellow

John, sounds like you are prepared.. let's hope you don't have to test the snow storm part.