Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Gifford-Pinchot State Park CG

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    48

    Gifford-Pinchot State Park CG

    We (my wife and I) have stayed in this campground a once last year. It is a PA State Park campground and has volunteer host but maintained by PA employees. The facilities are clean with hot water. I recommend this for anyone moto camping. There are some semi-primitive sites and full hook ups for camper trailers. This looks like an older CG/SP but things are well kept. There is no laundromat. A very big lake basically surrounds the CG and there is a nice beach area. There are some semi-primitive sites (electrical hook ups) and some full hook up sites for those pulling a camper. Overall a good CG.

  2. #2
    HarpoF6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    163

    Re: Gifford-Pinchot State Park CG

    Second that. Wife and I stayed there a couple years ago. Nice place. Did some loop rides over a few days while staying there in the bunkhouse. Unfortunately, we had a big heat wave at the same time.
    Mike
    '11 Victory Cross Country
    '13 Mini Mate USA Nomad trailer

  3. #3
    ILIKEYMYWING! wingpilot08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Coatesville, PA
    Age
    63
    Posts
    612

    Re: Gifford-Pinchot State Park CG

    I will be camping here later this month (Sept 28th-29th) for a Navy Ship class reunion (USS IWO JIMA class Amphib Carrier - Gator Navy) I did a ride thru on Labor day to check it out..nice looking CG!
    2008 GL1800-HPNA with 30,000+ miles
    1988 BunkHouse camper
    Darkside #1720


  4. #4
    Site Supporter Bluetick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    St. Marys, PA
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,458

    Re: Gifford-Pinchot State Park CG

    Where is the park located in PA? Price?
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

  5. #5
    ILIKEYMYWING! wingpilot08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Coatesville, PA
    Age
    63
    Posts
    612

    Re: Gifford-Pinchot State Park CG

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
    Where is the park located in PA? Price?
    Mailing Address:
    GIFFORD PINCHOT STATE PARK
    2200 ROSSTOWN ROAD
    LEWISBERRY PA 17339

    Campground office address is: 800 East Camping Area Road, Wellsville, PA 17365. The park is near the metropolitan areas of York and Harrisburg. It is reached from Harrisburg via the Lewisberry Exit (35) of I-83 south, then PA 177 south; or by US 15 south to Dillsburg, then to PA 74 south. From York, take PA 74 north or I-83 north. From I-83, take the Newberrytown Exit (32), PA 382 west to PA 177 south.

    Getting There:
    GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude):
    40.087, -76.888
    405'13"N, 7653'17"W

    Campground: The campground features restroom bathhouses with wash sinks within walking distance. Communal water hydrants are available throughout the campground. A dump station is accessible for an additional fee. A designating swimming area for overnight guests is available when the beach is open for swimming. A playground, a volleyball court, and horseshoe pits are available. The campground also features a designate boat launch for overnight guests. Firewood and Ice is available for purchase.

    Tent site is $21/night wit senior discount

  6. #6
    Bukwas lqqk_out's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    789

    Re: Gifford-Pinchot State Park CG

    I just happen to camp at this particular campground last Friday evening (09/30/2017). Rode on out to the HD Vehicle Operations Assembly Factory in York, PA for their annual open house. I was looking for an inexpensive and fairly convenient place to camp for the night.
    Traffic in York, PA is absolutely horrendous and it wasn't the motorcycles causing the traffic. Didn't really care which site I was on and the ranger at the office put me on site 201. Sites seemed small and very close to each other.
    Cost was $25 plus a $5 transaction fee. Ranger said the sites cost more on the weekends (Fri & Sat).
    Friday evening rode on out to downtown York (Continental Square) for their 13th annual Bike Night.
    Saturday afternoon I took a leisurely ride back home basically following the Susquehanna river north, then heading east on route 209.
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

  7. #7
    ILIKEYMYWING! wingpilot08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Coatesville, PA
    Age
    63
    Posts
    612

    Re: Gifford-Pinchot State Park CG

    Quote Originally Posted by lqqk_out View Post
    I just happen to camp at this particular campground last Friday evening (09/30/2017). Rode on out to the HD Vehicle Operations Assembly Factory in York, PA for their annual open house. I was looking for an inexpensive and fairly convenient place to camp for the night.
    Traffic in York, PA is absolutely horrendous and it wasn't the motorcycles causing the traffic. Didn't really care which site I was on and the ranger at the office put me on site 201. Sites seemed small and very close to each other.
    Cost was $25 plus a $5 transaction fee. Ranger said the sites cost more on the weekends (Fri & Sat).
    Friday evening rode on out to downtown York (Continental Square) for their 13th annual Bike Night.
    Saturday afternoon I took a leisurely ride back home basically following the Susquehanna river north, then heading east on route 209.
    I had just left on Saturday morning...was there Thursday 9/2817 and Friday 9/29/17 at site 47. Too bad we had missed each other. There was one other motorcycle camper there that I did meet, on the same loop as I was. The site I had was a good size and right across from the shower facility. Was really quiet on Thurs eve, however on Friday Boy Scout troop 84 showed up with a large group...and it got noisy. Because it is such a large campground (over 300 sites, cottages and yurts), I will agree..they were somewhat close together. I would not return just because of the size, stayed because I was attending a ship reunion in Harrisburg. My site was $21 per night, no electric and senior discount!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0539.jpg  

  8. #8
    Bukwas lqqk_out's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    789

    Re: Gifford-Pinchot State Park CG

    Quote Originally Posted by wingpilot08 View Post
    I had just left on Saturday morning...was there Thursday 9/2817 and Friday 9/29/17 at site 47. Too bad we had missed each other. There was one other motorcycle camper there that I did meet, on the same loop as I was. The site I had was a good size and right across from the shower facility. Was really quiet on Thurs eve, however on Friday Boy Scout troop 84 showed up with a large group...and it got noisy. Because it is such a large campground (over 300 sites, cottages and yurts), I will agree..they were somewhat close together. I would not return just because of the size, stayed because I was attending a ship reunion in Harrisburg. My site was $21 per night, no electric and senior discount!
    I never rode around loop A. It would have been nice to meet-up with another motocamper. When I pulled into the campground late Friday afternoon, it was fairly busy and there was a line at the rangers station full of people looking to check in. Did you head into town for the York bike night? It was a good time.

    http://fox43.com/2017/09/29/thousand...rk-bike-night/

    Noisy? Looking at the campground map, your site was right next to the organized group tenting area! Bad location if you are looking for a quiet spot.
    I was curious about the line item "transaction fee: $5" on my charges for the camping site so I called the park. It seems as though everyone is charged a transaction fee whether you book online or stop at the rangers station. The rangers will actually use the site/campground software "reserveamerica.com" and you are basically paying a fee to recoup the cost of using the software. The $25 camping charge is for a primitive site (non-resident). I believe a PA resident gets a $2 discount.

  9. #9
    ILIKEYMYWING! wingpilot08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Coatesville, PA
    Age
    63
    Posts
    612

    Smile Re: Gifford-Pinchot State Park CG

    Quote Originally Posted by lqqk_out View Post
    I never rode around loop A. It would have been nice to meet-up with another motocamper. When I pulled into the campground late Friday afternoon, it was fairly busy and there was a line at the rangers station full of people looking to check in. Did you head into town for the York bike night? It was a good time.

    http://fox43.com/2017/09/29/thousand...rk-bike-night/

    Noisy? Looking at the campground map, your site was right next to the organized group tenting area! Bad location if you are looking for a quiet spot.
    I was curious about the line item "transaction fee: $5" on my charges for the camping site so I called the park. It seems as though everyone is charged a transaction fee whether you book online or stop at the rangers station. The rangers will actually use the site/campground software "reserveamerica.com" and you are basically paying a fee to recoup the cost of using the software. The $25 camping charge is for a primitive site (non-resident). I believe a PA resident gets a $2 discount.
    IF you are a senior citizen..you also get a discount if you ask for it or make reservation via reserveamerica.com. I didn't make it to York Bike night, I'm not one for being in a large group of cycles and not knowing the skill of the rider next to me, but I did pass by the Harley factory on Saturday morning.

    As long as the boy scouts weren't there it was really quiet! Was even able to scrounge up some branches to use as kindling for the fire. Yeah, I did get hit with the transaction fee also:

    Payment Details
    Camping Fee:$42.00
    Discounts:$(9.00)
    Senior Discount$(9.00)
    Reservation Fee:$5.00
    Taxes:$0.00
    Total:$38.00
    Total Payment:$38.00

    So your location is "East Coast"... a bit more specific?

  10. #10
    Bukwas lqqk_out's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    789

    Re: Gifford-Pinchot State Park CG

    Quote Originally Posted by wingpilot08 View Post
    So your location is "East Coast"... a bit more specific?
    Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
    Grew up on Long Island, currently reside in Northern NJ.
    Heading out in the next day or so to Cave-In-Rock, IL for HogRock. Afterwards, I'll just decide where my next adventure will take me. I purchased a couple of the Butler Motorcycle Maps during their Labor day sale. Maybe I'll check out the roads in the New Mexico G1 map I purchased.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •