Thread: Fort Steven's State Park

Thumbs down Fort Steven's State Park

9 miles west of Astoria, OR. along the pacific ocean.
    This is a huge park and campground. I think there are over 500 sites and a Yurt village. Many large families, Big RV's, many many children on bicycles, etc...
    Date of visit:
    August 6-9, 2009
    Weather:
    * Cool (65 day/ 52 night) and light rain showers.
    * Wind was mild ! 6-9mph at times.
    Campground Condition:
    * The camp site itself was a real disappointment especially hearing about how well the Oregon park and campgrounds are supposed to be maintained. There was limited space to put up a 10x11 ft dome tent (with overhanging low scrub trees) and the site was not level. I wound up hacking off a few branches so the tent would fit.
    * Beneath the garbage left in the fire ring, the ashes must have been 18in deep. I had to dig down to hard earth for mama Sharpie's camp oven placement Obviously it hasn't been cleaned out in ages. Again, a lot of litter throughout the site.
    * The bathroom/shower facilities are very nice but, the showers are separated from the sinks and mirrors which are on the other side of the building in the restrooms. It would be real convenient to have a sink in the shower room

* Camp host rides around every evening selling big bundles of firewood for $5.

* Each site has electric and water.

*There are no garbage receptacles in any of the campgrounds which means you need to collect your garbage, protect it from
    the militant raccoons and ride 1.2 mi (from our campsite) to the 'Recycle Center" to get rid of it. Goofy. IMO a reason for
    some of the litter at the sites.

Area Riding:
    * 1/4 mi from the ocean and the shipwreck Peter Irdale.
    * Hundreds of miles of paved hiking/biking trails.
    * The fort itself is rather historic and is a nice few hour self-guided tour.
    * Seaside, OR is 11 mi south. Nice when the crowds are down. It's the western terminus of the Lewis & Clark trail.
    * Cape Disappointment is at the north end of the park. It's where the mighty Columbia meets the Pacific.
    Additional Park Info:

Fort Steven's State Park
    Last edited by Sharpie; 08-13-2009 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Correct location

Re: Fort Steven's State Park

Hi Sharpie,

That has got to be the WIDEST fairing I have ever seen. And windscreen wipers! WOW, never seen those before.

Just picken on ya a little, great report.

Guy
    My pics page: http://picasaweb.google.com/mrguy001

2003 Suzuki DR 650, The touring model.

Send a copy of your report to those Oregon park people.
    19 miles west of Astoria? Wouldn't that put you in the Pacific by about 18 miles? just kidding.
    I've never been in a public shower that had a sink and mirror in the same part of the room.
    Honda Goldwing
    '04 Titanium ABS Double Darksider
    Member - E. CLAMPUS VITUS
    IBA, NRA, Elks, Free Gazer, and a couple others

Sleeping in
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Clamper View Post
    Send a copy of your report to those Oregon park people.
    19 miles west of Astoria? Wouldn't that put you in the Pacific by about 18 miles? just kidding.
    I've never been in a public shower that had a sink and mirror in the same part of the room.
    Oops. More like 9 miles.

Sleeping in
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guy View Post
    Hi Sharpie,

That has got to be the WIDEST fairing I have ever seen. And windscreen wipers! WOW, never seen those before.

Just picken on ya a little, great report.

Guy
    You can fit a lot more camping junk in a car...

A cool spot, thanks for a great report!