Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loft Mountain Campground, Shenandoah NP

Fir Tree Loft Mountain Campground, Shenandoah NP

Stayed there as our base during a week camping trip doing loop rides. This campground tends not to be full unlike the others in the north side of the park primarily because this is the only one with no electric/water hook ups. We stayed in a campsite within a no generator zone, and only shared the bathroom with a few campers. Was nice. Camp store & showers/laundry is walking distance from campsite. What I loved most about this was the fact that the valley on either side of the parkway was hot and humid, while it was cool and oh sooo nice to sleep at night. Rangers say food must be protected from bears- brought a bear cache, but realized we did not need it. Ended up keeping the food sealed in a heavy food grade bag (ziploc freezer bags) inside a hard shell (cargo of a camper-trailer or inside your saddlebags) with no problems. Would not keep food in a cooler strapped on a trailer unattended or through the night though. Counted quite a few moto-campers in the area
    Mike
    '11 Victory Cross Country
    '13 Mini Mate USA Nomad trailer

Re: Loft Mountain Campground, Shenandoah NP

Would love to see any pics'!!!

Shenandoah NP…

You’re temting me to rearrange some vacation time. I had the opportunity to ride the parkway 3 times last year as well as the Cherohala Skyway. I’m riding north this summer so it’ll probably not happen unless I make a Florida run in the fall. Enjoy your time on the parkway. I really hope you had the opportunity to do the NC section. IMHO, it’s the best part. I hope you had the chance to explore a little off the parkway. That’s where you’ll find some of the best people in the world. (aside from Dell City, Texas) ((My southern town))

-Paul

(Threadstarter)

Here are some pics. Did the whole Skyline drive, side trips off both east & west side of skyline drive, Luray Caverns, Natural Bridge, Northern part of Parkway to Roanoke. Rest of parkway in NC will be saved for another trip. 3rd pic is a good example of typical campsites at Loft Mountain. Every morning was in the clouds, hence lots of dew.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0390.jpg   IMG_1041.jpg   IMG_0419.jpg  

You'll find that the farther south you go, the better the roads get.

Having said that, you New Yorkers have it pretty good too. I've been lucky enough to have ridden and camped in the Adirondacks, Catskills and Finger Lake areas. It's all good.

Green states, camped in - Orange states, ridden in.
    Jerry
    2013 DL650 V-Strom ADV, 2002 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 1990 Honda VTR250

Tent Re: Loft Mountain Campground, Shenandoah NP

[img] [/img]
    The wife and I planned for this campground as an over night stop while riding the BRP & SLD enroute to Rolling Thunder. Since we had been on the road for five days when we stopped here, the camp store and laundry facility were a huge attraction. This trip was just prior to Memorial day weekend and there were many campers of all shapes and sizes here but there were still many open sites. Unfortunately we did not find one in the generator free zone...but that is another story. They sell large bundles of fire wood at the camp store and if you get there after hours you can get it from the camp host with the understanding that you replace it before you leave. The camp store is well stocked and reasonably priced. The camp sites are pretty close together, but they do a good job with what they have. It was a great place for an overnight rest stop. I did not use bear boxes nor did I have any problems with any critters the night I stayed there.

Wife and I also spent the night here, 27 May 13, returning home from Rolling Thunder. Really enjoyed the peace and quiet here with very few neighbors. Not too far from bath room...never figured out why there were no lights in the bath..had the fixtures mounted and hot water...but NO light switches or auto light turn on features. Did Not enjoy the speed bumps upon entry near the Attendant gate...tough on my little Aspen. Fortunately did not have to recross them on the way out, whew...Left cooler on table AWAY from camper, but no sign of bear. Were a lot of playful bunnies though. Campstore did have essentials as well as showers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trip to DC May 2013 079.jpg   Trip to DC May 2013 078.jpg   Trip to DC May 2013 076.jpg   Trip to DC May 2013 006.jpg  

I plan on staying here for a night next summer (2014). I'll be there sometime around June or July. I'm glad to hear the nights are cooler that time of year. Can anyone tell me the average temp at night? I'll have to check into this "bear proofing" thing. Any suggested camp spots?

Thanks,
    Murph

I forgot the site we had, don't even remember if it had electric...but it was reasonably close to the bath-house and a water spigot...level and quiet. About all are nice sites.

I've been at Big Meadows (Just up the road from Loft Mountain) during two 4th of July holidays.
    We have had it get down to the mid 60's at night both times.
    Being it is higher in elevation it will be cooler.
    Be sure to pack a jacket or sweatshirt.

Also bring lots of quarters for the showers.

Scotty