Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Alaska 2/2/2/2 & 1 2009

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Re: Alaska 2/2/2/2 & 1 2009

Thanks. What made this trip more enjoyable was being able to take our dogs. Ironheadziggy76 was a blast to travel with also.

I haven't read the whole thread but - if you have any Alaska questions please ask. I'll do my best. I've driven the Alcan a few times. The last time was in 2011 when my daughter and I took the motorcycle, sidecar, and tent trailer to Disneyland and back. 8100 miles in 57 days. Many National Parks. We took the ferry back from Bellingham, WA. Also, in 2007 I hosted a Ride-In for the Venturers.com.

Dan,

Since you offered, I'll try one. It's perhaps a little outside your expertise. We will be coming up in June and routing through Glacier NP and The Icefields Pkwy. At Jasper I'm looking at heading a short distance NE on the Trans-Canada to hwy 40 north to hwy43. Do you know the condition of 40?

Richard

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Richard .... 49 north of Hinton is/was in good shape when I last rode it in 07/08(?) You can make time in the upper stretches of it before Grand Prairie as it is relatively straight and flat.

IMHO ... 97 is more scenic from PG north to where it hooks up with 2 in Dawson Creek.

Ken
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Richard, Dusty is spot on.
    40 north of Hinton is in decent shape as recent as 2011 I normally check the weather while in Jasper and if its clear I take 40 North but if its going to be wet I use 97 north of Prince George.
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

I don't know the hiway numbers but I know the road you're talking about. We went south from Grand Prairie thru Grand Cache to Jasper. The road was fine and paved the entire way. Grand Cache is at the top of a mountain. There was still snow there at the end of May. Get gas there. There is a little shopping mall across the hiway that has a Subway. On the north side of Grand Cache is a coal mine (i think). We had to sit for about 20 minutes while they bkasted. Then they gave every vehicle a $5 gas card - which I immediately forgot to use. If you've never ridden the Icefields the take your time and enjoy it. Lake Louise is amazing. It's worth the hike to a Tea House. One is 5km along the lake and the other is 3km up. Parking was $20 at the Lake Louise hotel. Ooh ooh. Don't forget to stop at Radium Hotsprings on your way. Just before you exit Jasper on the north side there is a road to the west. Just around the corner is a little pullout. Amazing waterfalls and info about the water carving out the rocks for centuries. Once you get off the mountain north of Grand Cache you will be on the prairie. It's flat. Like really flat. All the way to infinity and beyond. Turn left at Grand Prairie. It's a huge city. As you enter town there is a big gas station on your left. They have everything. Maybe more. Just before Dawson Creek is a nice little campground on Swan Lake. It's about a half mile off the road. Careful going over the railroad tracks.

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    I don't know the hiway numbers but I know the road you're talking about. We went south from Grand Prairie thru Grand Cache to Jasper. The road was fine and paved the entire way. Grand Cache is at the top of a mountain. There was still snow there at the end of May. Get gas there. There is a little shopping mall across the hiway that has a Subway. On the north side of Grand Cache is a coal mine (i think). We had to sit for about 20 minutes while they bkasted. Then they gave every vehicle a $5 gas card - which I immediately forgot to use. If you've never ridden the Icefields the take your time and enjoy it. Lake Louise is amazing. It's worth the hike to a Tea House. One is 5km along the lake and the other is 3km up. Parking was $20 at the Lake Louise hotel. Ooh ooh. Don't forget to stop at Radium Hotsprings on your way. Just before you exit Jasper on the north side there is a road to the west. Just around the corner is a little pullout. Amazing waterfalls and info about the water carving out the rocks for centuries. Once you get off the mountain north of Grand Cache you will be on the prairie. It's flat. Like really flat. All the way to infinity and beyond. Turn left at Grand Prairie. It's a huge city. As you enter town there is a big gas station on your left. They have everything. Maybe more. Just before Dawson Creek is a nice little campground on Swan Lake. It's about a half mile off the road. Careful going over the railroad tracks.
    Richard, this is the route I took on my way back from Dawson Creek and it cut off quite a bit of time plus the city driving. I camped in Jasper so I could spend another full day on the Icefield Parkway, before ending the day just across the border in Montana. As always, be sure and top off with gas along the way.
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

I love going back and reading this.
    Gary

2005 Honda VTX 1800
    2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH, American Legion, NRA
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1999 Honda 1500
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 250
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70