Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska 2/2/2/2 & 1 2009

Site Supporter

Alaska 2/2/2/2 & 1 2009

2 PEOPLE/2 DOGS/2 URALS/2 MONTHS & 1 KENTUCKY GUY ON A V-STROM

Ernie & I rode from our home in Bishop, California to Missoula, Montana where we currently are (at a KOA).
    We are waiting for Steve (Ironhead Ziggy 76) to meet up with us. He is riding from Belton, Kentucky.
    He left on Friday morning. We heard from him last night where he was failing at his attempt to set up his tent in a howling windstorm in Sioux Falls.
    He had been riding in horrible winds all day and was none too pleased with his gas mileage!

Nothing much notable about our trip so far, we have been through alot of the country we had covered before.

Weather/wind has not been too bad and we have seen some beautiful country.
    It seems once we got into Montana we could catch a faint scent of Alaska and got more excited!

Stayed the first night in Eureka, Nv at a little hole in the wall where we pitched a tent in the RV resort weeds. But for $5.00, I wasn't complaining. The only glitch was they locked the bathroom and there wasn't a tree or rock in sight! Not a problem for the RV crowd...but I felt like a minnow in a sea of sharks.

Second night was spent outside of Idaho Falls in a little area called Eden at a campground called Anderson Camp. We had stayed there before. Nice big grassy areas to pitch the tent in.

Third night was spent in Dillon, Montana (south of Butte) at a KOA. Camped right next to a river and its mosquitos in a big grassy area. Very nice couple that runs the place. Cruised around the old town and looked at some of the history.

Steve should be here Monday or Tuesday, depending on what kind of mileage he can make...then it is off to Alaska!

Since it is kind of idle time for Ernie & I, I probably will not post again about the adventure until Steve gets here...then he can update you on his experiences coming from Kentucky.

Thanks to all of you for the well wishes!

Tried to post some photos, but got an error message from the new server (Mellow?)...will keep working on it and try to post the photos later.

Ernie & Colleen

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Re: Alaska 2/2/2/2 & 1 2009

Finally uploaded the pics that were suppose to be with first report.

#1 Colleen out of gas first day!

#2 Ernies Taco Stand Elko, Nevada. (Gotta pay for the trip!)

#3 Stuck in road construction, of course. (Twin Falls, Id.)

#4 Roadside break in Montana.

#5 Dillon KOA camp by the river.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Col out of gas first day North of Tonopah, NV.jpg   Ernesto's Taco Wagon.jpg   Twin Falls Road Work of Course.jpg   Rest Stop outside of Kidd, Montana.jpg   KOA Dillon.jpg  

Last edited by Black and Blue; 05-31-2009 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Explanation of photos.

B&B

Are you still at the Missoula,MT KOA?? My home!! What to stop my and say HI if you are.

Michael
    USN, CDR, RET
    UDT/SEAL-EOD
    FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
    Photo/Journal Website: MDL-MyJourney.fotki.com

Quote Originally Posted by Black and Blue View Post
    Stayed the first night in Eureka, Nv at a little hole in the wall where we pitched a tent in the RV resort weeds. But for $5.00, I wasn't complaining. The only glitch was they locked the bathroom and there wasn't a tree or rock in sight! Not a problem for the RV crowd...but I felt like a minnow in a sea of sharks.
    Was that Silver Sky RV Park?

I was trying to find a nice campground in that area and camp up with nothing. But I did find Silver Sky RV Park just south of town.

I still think this is going to be one great ride and story.
    Trailace/ Rick
    “You can tell the size of the man by the size of the things that bother him”

WOOOOO HOOOOOO, you guys are doing it now..... Thanks so much for the updates and pictures, Love the pics of Montana, as me and my buddy will be there in August.. You folks ride safe and take loads of photo's if you please... Tell Steve he should have been there today.... LOL

Thanks again.... Eric

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

HOGCDR, yes we are still here. Space T12. Will be here until we link up with Ironheadziggy. Either late Monday or Tuesday. Come on by.

Trailace. Yes that was Silver Sky RV. Very nice folks, but not really set up for tents.

Hopefully more to follow. Will let Ironheadziggy spin his yarn to you all.

Awesome.

2001 BMW F650 Dakar
    1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
    http://www.expedition-awareness.org
    Phil

Anyone hear from Ziggy???

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Willy View Post
    Anyone hear from Ziggy???
    TJ:
    I'd be willing to bet you won't be hearing from Ziggy till he hooks up with
    Black & Blue.
    I doubt he packed a computer for this adventure, as cargo space would be at a premimum on a trip of this magnitude.
    Don't worry though, I'm SURE he packed a camera. We'll be seeing some great pictures when he can send them.

G wizz

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

Ziggy made in late yesterday to Missoula, had some weather and motocycle issues. Will be picking him and B&B up this morning for coffee.