Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Are There Any Women Motocampers Out There?

Re: Are There Any Women Motocampers Out There?

Liv2Ride, My sister and I are also in Georgia and try to plan a motocamping trip at least once a year. We are supposed to go to Destin in August (all the details are not planned yet). She has a grandbaby due around the time we were planning to go so we just have to wait and see. we do however get together and camp out in Dahlonega when we have time.

Liv2Ride
    (Threadstarter)

Hey Angel we all need to get together and do some camping! I see that you are all the way in Gainesville but that shouldn't be too much of a barrier. Send me a private message and we can make plans from there. Awesome!
    Kat

Quote Originally Posted by angel2cdwings View Post
    Liv2Ride, My sister and I are also in Georgia and try to plan a motocamping trip at least once a year. We are supposed to go to Destin in August (all the details are not planned yet). She has a grandbaby due around the time we were planning to go so we just have to wait and see. we do however get together and camp out in Dahlonega when we have time.
    Welcome to the site.
    Trailace/ Rick
    “You can tell the size of the man by the size of the things that bother him”

Hi all,

I'm new here and this is my first post. A little about me.

I live out in Las Vegas, do a lot of camping in my little home made trailer.
    I have also done quite a bit of tent and car camping. I run a camp cooking forum where we discuss all kinds of outdoor cooking. My friend and I teach Dutch Oven cooking at various events.

I also ride a Road King and a KLR-650 whenever I get the chance. Here's the rub....I camp and I ride, but I've only motorcycle camped one time and that was down to the Laughlin River run a couple years ago. Doesn't exactly count as MC camping.

I'm getting the itch to head out camping on one of my bikes. I'm thinking that I'll head up to the north rim of the Grand Canyon. I always love that place! There's some great camping just outside of the park in the national forest. When I first bought my KLR my intent was to go camping so I bought a backpacking stove and small tent. I've done quite a bit of "minimalist" camping with little more than a sleeping bag, water, tuna in a can, and dehydrated fruit. I have some obligations at work that I have to wrap up so hopefully I'll be able to head out of town by the end of summer.

Oh yeah, here's a link to a little MC trailer I made for a friend of mine. http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mc_trailer.shtml

Joanne

www.camp-cook.com

Welcome to the site, Joanne, thanks for the site. I'll check it at my leisure

The North Rim is good, there is good camping all over north AZ in the National Forrests. I have a favorite place by Pine, and another near Heber...

Hi Joanne,

I've read your Desert Dawg web site about a dozen times. I've been thinking about building a similar trailer for a little while.

Welcome to this little campsite, Guy
    My pics page: http://picasaweb.google.com/mrguy001

2003 Suzuki DR 650, The touring model.

Welcome Joanne!
    2005 Silver Goldwing
    2010 BMW 1200GS Adventure
    A Bad Day Riding Is Still Better Than A Good Day Working!

Hi Joanne:
    Welcome to the forum.
    Was wondering ... Do you do your own welding? If you do, I'm impressed!
    I really like the little motorcycle trailer you constructed. Nicely made, and your "desert dog" teardrop trailer is awesome!

Looks like you are a very multi-talented lady.

G wizz

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

Hi all!

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I appreciate it.

I do have a lot of diverse interests. I have too many things I would like to try and not enough time (or money) to do them. My son is the same way....LOL! He got his first motorcycle this weekend and is SO excited.

The teardrop was the result of wanting to get up off the ground, lack of money to buy something a bit bigger, the desire to see if I could do it, and they are so darn cute. G Wizz, I did my own welding. My cousin taught me many years ago when my dad sponsored his race car. I wanted to "help" (I thought I was at the time) so he taught me how to weld. It's provided to be quite useful throughout my life.

The success of the little motorcycle trailer was what gave me enough confidence to try the camping trailer. I had never done any wood work before so everything was trial and error. Thankfully there is a great forum with very helpful folks that coached me through some of the build challenges.

On to the topic of motorcycle camping, I'm hoping to get everything organized and start heading out once the temperatures start to cool down in the early fall. I have most of the gear, but recently someone stole my MC jacket out of the garage so I'm in the market for a new one. (I can only imagine the thief's face when he realizes that the great leather jacket he stole is a WOMANS! I'm sure he'll look cute in it.)

The jacket was a leather cruiser style jacket, but I think I'll look for more of a touring style jacket & pant combination. I've been hitting the local cycle shops to see what's on the market and within my budget. It looks like the manufacturers are finally starting to manufacture woman's riding gear that isn't just guy's gear in a different color. They still need to learn that women riders aren't all tiny little things hanging on the back of their guy's crotch rocket. Sorry....got a bit off topic.

Anyway, it will be fun to hear about all the adventures that you guys have. Hopefully I'll be able to share a few of my own tales before too long.

Thanks again for the welcome!
    Joanne

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guy View Post
    Hi Joanne,

I've read your Desert Dawg web site about a dozen times. I've been thinking about building a similar trailer for a little while.

Welcome to this little campsite, Guy
    Guy,

Not to distract you from MC camping, but the little tears are a lot of fun! If you want more info, check out http://www.mikenchell.com/forums

To tie this back into MC camping, a number of folks pull small, lightweight tears behind their Harleys, Gold Wings, and Trikes. The trailer has to be built with a keen eye towards weight reduction, but it has been done very successfully.

Joanne