Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Picking the right Tent

Re: Picking the right Tent

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    Above I mentioned a doggie door in the Coleman test. Well this picture shows the little door very well, just look inside the main tent door. The documentation that came with the tent was poor, so I'm not sure why Coleman put that tiny door into the tent. I had it open so I would get some cross ventilation, but it would work well for a small dog.
    That's strange, I couldn't see your post until I switched to a threaded view but I knew it was there somewhere.. gonna have to search for some bug fixes to see if I can get it corrected... sorry about that.

The dog door is cute...
    Joe (My Travels) 2014 Super Tenere

I couldn't find the post after I posted it either. Some kind of bug in the software. Back at the main menu, the forum titles showed that I had posted, but the actual posting would not show up.
    Alan

IBA 20568
    AMA 402014
    2003 Honda ST1300
    1969 Honda CB750

Administrator
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    Above I mentioned a doggie door in the Coleman test. Well this picture shows the little door very well, just look inside the main tent door. The documentation that came with the tent was poor, so I'm not sure why Coleman put that tiny door into the tent. I had it open so I would get some cross ventilation, but it would work well for a small dog.
    That?s there so you can get to the beer cooler with out moving from your bag.
    Trailace/ Rick
    “You can tell the size of the man by the size of the things that bother him”

Quote Originally Posted by Trailace
    That?s there so you can get to the beer cooler with out moving from your bag.
    I can imagine your next tent farkle will be a funnel with a hose on it for the after affects of all that beer!

Picking the right Tent: watch out for REI...and Mellow!

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Traveler
    I've gone through 4 tents in the last year trying to find just the right tent. After 4 years I felt my 2 man Colman Exponent was now a little short on space. Next was a 4 man tent with a huge vestibule. So big two people in Kermit chairs could hide out from a storm with room to spare. But there was something like 16 tent stakes involved and as much as I liked the tent I still needed something different. Next was an REI Half Dome 2 man. Nice tent but smaller than what I started out with. REI has a GREAT! return policy and they took it all back. While at REI I noticed a Mountain Hardware 3 man Wedge 3. I bought it even though it was a little pricy but I was getting tired of looking. This is without a doubt the perfect tent for me. Plenty of room, lots of storage up high and considered a 3 1/2 season tent. I have now used it many times and once again, the perfect tent for me.

Was on my way to buy a $40 Coleman at WM, when a post from Mellow on ST-O lead me here. I liked the Mountain Hardwear Wedge 3 illustrated here and off I went to REI. REI had an anniversary sale and a salesman talked me into a Mountain Hardwear Haven 3 at 33% off instead!

After setting it up in the yard, I was disapointed by the useable floor dimensions, quite overstated in the spec sheet, as well as useable vestibule area. It also felt hot in the Houston weather: could use more ventilation.

So I went and returned the Haven, to exchange it for the Wedge 3 at REI. The knowledgeable sales guy told me that if I was looking for ventilation, I should try their MSR Mutha Hubba....which I did as they were generous enough to extend the 20% off they had the week before on this item.

Gave it the yard test and liked it. But then looked at the sales slip and figured that Mellow made me spend 10 times my initial intended amount and thought about returning it.

But it is now set in my living room, and the useability just looks too good. Maybe a tad too large, but I figure that a tired back at the end of the day will appreciate the large and high entrance doors. Ventilation feels quite good too.

Lesson learned: following Mellow's links is onerous!

Now I have to figure out with which Big Agnes to sleep with!
    Last edited by MidLife; 05-12-2007 at 12:29 AM.

Re: Picking the right Tent: watch out for REI...and Mellow!

Quote Originally Posted by MidLife
    Was on my way to buy a $40 Coleman at WM, when a post from Mellow on ST-O lead me here. I liked the Mountain Hardwear Wedge 3 illustrated here and off I went to REI. REI had an anniversary sale and a salesman talked me into a Mountain Hardware Haven 3 at 33% off instead!

After setting it up in the yard, I was disapointed by the useable floor dimensions, quite overstated in the spec sheet, as well as useable vestibule area. It also felt hot in the Houston weather: could use more ventilation.

So I went and returned the Haven, to exchange it for the Wedge 3 at REI. The knowledgeable sales guy told me that if I was looking for ventilation, I should try their MSR Mutha Hubba....which I did as they were generous enough to extend the 20% off they had the week before on this item.

Gave it the yard test and liked it. But then looked at the sales slip and figured that Mellow made me spend 10 times my initial intended amount and thought about returning it.

But it is now set in my living room, and the useability just looks too good. Maybe a tad too large, but I figure that a tired back at the end of the day will appreciate the large and high entrance doors. Ventilation feels quite good too.

Lesson learned: following Mellow's links is onerous!

Now I have to figure out with which Big Agnes to sleep with!
    LOL... sorry man, hey, I'm using the $10 walmart air mattress so you can't blame me on the Big Anges sleeping pad you'll end up buying..

I have a Eureka Apex 3xta tent. Fits into one ST1300 saddle bag with room to spare.

The pic below is our campsite at High Valley Resort. The Apex tent is the yellow one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5280005.JPG  

HI,
    I have been lurking around , reading all the good stuff, and looking at all the great pictures.
    My evil other half is Goldwinggl, don't let him tell you any different ! I happened upon this thread today, and went to look at Blues traveler's pictures of camping farkles* http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1298...31153994WACsoF Your stove and kitchen setup, is really neat. I love the picture of your bike set up in a parking lot, with the stove on the back. Pat yourself on the back, for some great ideas and Superb packing abilities!! You are a Farkle king
    Last edited by DirtGirL; 10-13-2006 at 04:10 PM.

Hey, if I were you guys, I would believe her...really...LOL
    That is a nice setup Blue's....

Tent Re: Picking the right Tent

Saw this tent on another forum. Looks to be a great tent.

Its made by Coleman is called a Exponent 'Phad X3' , very interesting. Sleeps 3 and has a 4' X 5' vestibule.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9830-392_500.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	866

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...tegoryid=11070

The Exponent series of gear and tents from Coleman are their upper/top end of campming gear. One of my 1st. tents was a 2 man Exponent, very well made and after 3 years I moved on to a 3 man tent and sold the Coleman tent to a friend who still enjoys it to this day.

If I was looking for another tent i'd give this one a real good look and consideration.

Here's a review from ADV on the tent with many pictures of the tent during and after settup. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=Coleman+tent

Yep, looks like a really nice tent.
    Keith R.
    Sun City, SoCal
    05' Honda GoldWing
    AKA ownst100 STOC 1211