Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Picking the right Tent

Re: Picking the right Tent

Great pics (http://community.webshots.com/user/ownst1100) and reviews.

Sorry, sigs don't show up in the reviews to make the comments as easy to read as possible. They do show up in the non-review forums. Looks like you've done a lot of research to get the best solution, bravo!
    Joe (My Travels) 2014 Super Tenere

I thought that was you Keith. Welcome to the site. I know you will make great contributions here as you seem to have the bike camping thing figured out.

While I don't do a lot of MC camping, I have done a bit and found an alternative to a tent that you guys may be interested in. Just to let you know, I have no affiliation to him but he has a great product. If you do a search for Hennesy Hammocks you can find his web site and read about his products. Last year, I bought one and did get to try it one night. I was pleasantly surprised that it does all that he claims it to do. Very comfortable, easy to set up and you don't sleep on the ground. Excellent quality and workmanship. The only problem that I found was that an ensolite pad would be handy to keep your back warmer. I see now that he has made improvements to the hammock and that problem should be solved. The design has you sleeping crossways a bit and you get great back support. Check it out on his site. A nice feature is that it doesn't take up much room on the bike at all.

Interesting. Thanks for the info!
    STeve Gray
    2005 Honda ST1300

A couple of years ago when picking a tent, I ignored the online advise and bought a one man tent. Bad move, absolutely no room for my gear. I wanted to save on the size of the tent, so I went with the one man. Maybe if I was backpacking, it would have been worth worrying about, but camping from a motorcycle, it was a stupid move. And since I'm a cheap skate, I still use the one man tent that I have learned to dislike. Maybe if I'm lucky, a bear will tear this one up and I'l be forced to spend some money.
    Alan

IBA 20568
    AMA 402014
    2003 Honda ST1300
    1969 Honda CB750

Same here, I got a 1-man bivy type and could barely sit up in it. After seeing Trailace and how easy his 2-man tent was to setup and deal with... I had to have one.

But, I'm still cheap.

Administrator
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow
    But, I'm still cheap.
    I'm cheaper!

Well, I was at Dick's Sporting the other day and they had Coleman 2 man tents for $39.99. So I opened my wallet and let the moths fly out and bought one. I compared it with my old 1 man tent and the Coleman only weighs 1 1/2 pounds more. The Coleman goes up easy and even has a doggie door! And lots of room!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tent_1.JPG   Tent_2.JPG   Tent_3.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    Well, I was at Dick's Sporting the other day and they had Coleman 2 man tents for $39.99. So I opened my wallet and let the moths fly out and bought one. I compared it with my old 1 man tent and the Coleman only weighs 1 1/2 pounds more. The Coleman goes up easy and even has a doggie door! And lots of room!
    That resembles my old tent I have used for years, without the built in fly. Actually it resembles what I paid for mine also!

Above I mentioned a doggie door in the Coleman test. Well this picture shows the little door very well, just look inside the main tent door. The documentation that came with the tent was poor, so I'm not sure why Coleman put that tiny door into the tent. I had it open so I would get some cross ventilation, but it would work well for a small dog.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails North Bend 1.JPG