Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Picking the right Tent

Re: Picking the right Tent

Quote Originally Posted by STraddler View Post
    Santa brought me a Nemo Morpho AR tent for Christmas . ( Bless his little heart .) It's a 2 person 3 season tent with 40 sq. feet of space inside. The best part of this tent is , NO POLES . It has air beams that you inflate with a foot pump.

http://www.nemoequipment.com/
    I'm really anxious to read a full review of this tent when you have had a chance to use it some. It seems like it would be really great for motocamping. Not having poles and leaving the inflatable airbeams in the tent would make it really fast to setup in almost any condition. It would seem like it would fold down small too. I hope you do a full write up on it with pictures.

Steve

SCRC Ch. 183 N. Atlanta quadancer's Avatar

I can say that if the footprint is smaller than the tent and it rains, you can get mud and litter all over the tent sides from rain splash, and still may get water beneath. The ideal IMO, is to have a bit of ground slope around the periphery of the tent if possible and a larger footprint, so you don't get splash but have drainage.
    If camping on a pad of loose chat (crusher run or gravel), it's easy to trench around the tent by lifting the footprint and scraping away some gravel.
    edit: oops, I was answering the wrong page...oh well, I got an excuse...57 year and I have CRS. (Can't Remember Stuff)
    If'n ya boards ain't a-sparkin',
    then you is just a-parkin'!

DARKSIDE RULES!

The Tenera is an interesting tent. If it is raining you could use the garage
    to cook in. I also want to be able to stand and get dress.

Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    The Tenera is an interesting tent. If it is raining you could use the garage to cook in. I also want to be able to stand and get dressed.
    I have one and I like it.

My last three tents have been Kelty 3-person units. Very well made tents with two doors and two vestibules. Plenty of room to sleep on one side and have my "stuff" on the other side. However, I still had to dress on the ground and they were a bit difficult for someone of my age to exit and that process always involved a lot of crawling on hands-and-knees.

Now with the Nomad [new company name is Redverz Gear, I was told a copyright issue with the original name forced the change] I can sleep in the inner tent [which is a bit larger and taller than the Keltys] and dress either sitting on a chair or standing up in the outer area. I'm 5'10" now and can stand in the outer area with no difficulty.

The setting-up process is not very much different -- three poles, some stakes and guy-lines for the outer fly. Then go inside, in the dry, and attach the inner tent to the inside of the outer fly. It's all set up. Tear-down is the reverse -- detach the inner tent, in the dry, and put it and the other things I want to keep dry [sleeping bag, sheet, pad, etc] in a dry bag. Then go outside and disassemble the outer fly [it's normally going to be wet], roll it up and put it into another bag with the poles and ground sheet.

Ride safe.

Ground Camper

I've got an MSR Skinny 2 which I don't even think they make anymore.

While escaping a fire here in Texas up at PK lake the floor got ripped up pretty good. I thought for sure my 200 dollar tent was a gonner. 40 bucks and a UPS package later I got it back in the mail. They didn't just patch the rips they replaced the whole floor. Excellent customer service. Which is I guess something that 200 dollars goes too not just material

These pics are from a test setup right after I got the tent for x-mas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 170531_1815707638586_1416956060_32056925_6775737_o.jpg   171148_1815708078597_1416956060_32056926_8195790_o.jpg   171285_1815707398580_1416956060_32056924_3120945_o.jpg  

Hi All,
    I bought a cheap single wall bivy tent from Cabela's, for a 1 week trip to Montana. We got hit with a huge overnight storm in North Dakota and I literally got soaked to the bone, EVERYTHING was soaked. There are somethings that you just can't skimp on. I bought a 3 man, Sierra Designs tent about 12 years ago that has always treated me well, just a little big (I thought) for my trip. Lesson learned.

I can echo the comments about the Eureka Timberline tents. I have used them for 20+ years in scouting and if they can withstand the abuse of 10-17 year old boys, then I think they will last a careful camper forever.

I do, however, have a little different opinion on the "larger than the bottom" vs. "slightly smaller than the bottom" debate when it comes to the ground cloth. I have always used a cut-to-fit piece of fairly heavy poly placed inside the tent. In all of the years of using this method, I have never had wet sleeping gear, even when a small river ran through the camp.

[QUOTE=Millsaps2;21715]I have an old Cabelas 6-man tent that allows you to stand but you can not put it up alone due to the pole/sleeve arrangement. Someone has to get in the tent and raise it while someone inserts the poles into the webbing.

Can someone suggest a 6-man tent that uses clips and aluminum poles which would allow you to erect the tent alone. Weight up to 20 pounds would be OK since I use a trailer.

try the coleman insta-tent...one man setup, 2 will make it quicker...up in less than a minute, lots of cross vent. and no need for a rainfly (but I'm hedging my bets and getting a kelty just in case...)Coleman quality, little more heavy duty than standard coleman, comes down in a minute or less and weighs in at 24 lbs...not a lite tent, but perfect for the Ural and the trailer....
    if you can't start it year round or fix it by the side of the road...is it really worth buying?

[QUOTE=quadancer;39234 I have CRS. (Can't Remember Stuff)[/QUOTE]

I like that! CRS....have to remmember that one!
    "Four Wheels move the body; two wheels move the soul"............Ride Safe 09 F800GS
    www.justcallmewhosoever.blogspot.com

SCRC Ch. 183 N. Atlanta quadancer's Avatar

Yeh...I use the cleaned-UP version....!