Bayou Segnette State Park

A Diamond in the Rough

If your crew is like my crew, you will want take the bike to New Orleans at some point. And you won't want to hotel it while you are there. My friends and I do an annual "MudBug Run" where a few of us from Texas and another from Oklahoma City decend upon St. Francisville, LA for a few days of back road, bayou country riding.

The only rules are:
1. Camping is the only option
2. Crawfish will be consumed in mass quantities at every opportunity.
3. Beers are a plenty.

This year we decided to circle through The Big Easy for a evening of camping and daiquiris at the camp and the next morning checking out Bourbon street and sampling the famous Beigenets from Cafe Du Monde established in 1862.

We had never camped at Bayou Segnette and decided to chance it. We were VERY happy with park. It literally is a diamond in the rough. No noise from the city, wifi, lush green grass to pitch on, electricity for charging gadgets and a nice bath house.

The park is set back in the Bayou a ways from the gate house. The staff at the gate house was beyond friendly. The grounds are locked after 10pm and campers are given an access code for entry.

We booked our site and it was a good thing because it was full when we showed up. I think we even reserved the very last spot. We got lucky.

That is my rig in the back right corner. The grass was so nice, you could even get away without a pad. The ground was nice and easy to stake in.

A few of the campground in the back:

MotoCampers! There was a slight fear of gators crawling out from the Bayou behind us!

If you find yourself deep in Louisiana and needing a place to camp, I highly recommend you pitch at Bayou Segnette.