Thread: Sinks Canyon State Park, Lander, WY

Sinks Canyon State Park, Lander, WY

In 2004, I was heading for Grand Teton Natl Park on Rt 20/26 out of Casper, WY and as the day grew late, I realized I would get to Grand Teton very late. I had stopped in Riverton to do some shopping so checking my map I saw Sinks Canyon SP at Lander, just a slight detour out of the way to Grand Teton. Rt 131 out of the back of Lander takes you to Sinks Canyon. Rt 131 was being worked on, but in general was in good shape, I had no problems on my Honda ST1300 with the gravel construction zones. I arrived in mid afternoon and had no problem finding a nice camping site. The camp grounds had hard surfaced roads so access to the camp sites was easy. I try so stay away from poor roads on the ST1300 because the bike is big and heavy and with me riding it, doesn't like going off pavement.

As the pictures show, the camping area is improved and well maintained. The local outhouse was clean and also well maintained, was not buggy and didn't stink. Since the camp sites didn't have hookups, the night was quiet without TV or radio noise. I even got to watch some rock climbers waaay up the far canyon wall. I only spent the one night there so don't know if the area is good for an extended stay, but it was a nice easy night on my road trip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Al's June 2004 Trip 006.jpg   Al's June 2004 Trip 007.jpg   Al's June 2004 Trip 008.jpg   Al's June 2004 Trip 009.jpg   Al's June 2004 Trip 011.jpg  

Al's June 2004 Trip, Sinks Canyon State Park, Lander WY 005.jpg  
    Alan

IBA 20568
    AMA 402014
    2003 Honda ST1300
    1969 Honda CB750

Mellow

Re: Sinks Canyon State Park, Lander, WY

Cool, looks like a good spot, ya gotta like it when you're the only one there.

Re: Sinks Canyon State Park, Lander, WY

Nice find. Thanks for posting. I too look for paved surface access to campsites, even though I ride a much lighter bike(VFR).