• I run naked through the forest.

2 6.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: From my own curiosity….

(Threadstarter)

Re: From my own curiosity….

Quote Originally Posted by Ironheadziggy76 View Post
    I use a tent, it always rains anytime I camp!
    tarps are great in the rain, you can set them up for protection or just to keep the rain off, but allow you to enjoy it.
    <a href=http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m135/anrfknm/VisitedStatesMap-motorcycle.jpg target=_blank>http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...motorcycle.jpg</a>'06 FXDBI

Quote Originally Posted by anrfknm View Post
    tarps are great in the rain, you can set them up for protection or just to keep the rain off, but allow you to enjoy it.
    Do you carry poles? In my travels west I've noticed a marked scarcity of trees in some parts.

Green states, camped in - Orange states, ridden in.
    Jerry
    2013 DL650 V-Strom ADV, 2002 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 1990 Honda VTR250

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Ripshod View Post
    Do you carry poles? In my travels west I've noticed a marked scarcity of trees in some parts.
    No, no I don’t. You can tie the tarp to most anything, boulders, park tables or your bike if need be.

...I would like to discuss the advantages of tarp vs tent.

I can imagine that a tarp may be lighter, smaller to pack (depending on the size of the tarp) and easier to stow on the bike. Other than that I'm not sure there is any advantage of a tarp vs. a tent. I usually take both when on extended trips. The tent for a dry area to sleep and stow gear in and the tarp for a place to cook, stay dry and relax out of the weather.

Eric

Mellow

I will bring a tarp sometimes, the lightweight tent-fly type. Not as my primary cover but just in case there might be a need for one over the table to block the sun or rain.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Yamifj1200 View Post
    I can imagine that a tarp may be lighter, smaller to pack (depending on the size of the tarp) and easier to stow on the bike. Other than that I'm not sure there is any advantage of a tarp vs. a tent. I usually take both when on extended trips. The tent for a dry area to sleep and stow gear in and the tarp for a place to cook, stay dry and relax out of the weather.

Eric
    That would be ideal, but my back packing experience keeps me pushing for smaller and less. Plus the fact, I usually don't stay anywhere more then one night so I camp primitive most of the time.

Quote by Mellow
    I will bring a tarp sometimes, the lightweight tent-fly type. Not as my primary cover but just in case there might be a need for one over the table to block the sun or rain.
    Blues Traveler (Kieth) had a tarp to put up to block the wind at SeaStoc. What a great idea, I'll steal it for my own from time to time Normally, if I'm camping in a National Forest, I can pick a spot for wind and rain shelter, but a tarp in improved campgrounds really makes sense...

Quote Originally Posted by bigTom View Post
    Blues Traveler (Kieth) had a tarp to put up to block the wind at SeaStoc. What a great idea, I'll steal it for my own from time to time Normally, if I'm camping in a National Forest, I can pick a spot for wind and rain shelter, but a tarp in improved campgrounds really makes sense...
    Yeah, they come in very handy for that. Last year we had a beautiful campsite by a lake in the Catskills. It was a beautiful clear night but just after dark, the wind off that lake came on so strong our fire was getting dangerous. Up came the tarp. Sometimes you have to get creative to make them stable in the wind, but it's worth it.

That would be ideal, but my back packing experience keeps me pushing for smaller and less. Plus the fact, I usually don't stay anywhere more then one night so I camp primitive most of the time.
    My experience has driven me in the opposite direction. On a dedicated camping trip, I carry a kitchen with a charcoal grill and furniture. Even though I rarely camp more than one night in one location, I like to set up housekeeping for comfort while I'm there. Of course, the downside is that stopping with a couple of hours of daylight left and then getting all that gear stowed away in the morning means less miles travelled per day. But it's all good.

Bugs, snakes, small rodents, skunks, bears etc.... I try and keep them at bay whenever I can and tents do a better job of that than tarps.

Was camping one time with a buddy who used a tarp. In the middle of the night I heard panicked screaming. Seems some guys were out running their coon hounds and one of the dogs happened to wander into camp and found my buddy's face with his nose. Took him a few to realize he wasn't being attacked by a bear. Actually it was a riot, I couldn't stop laughing and to this day we laugh about it.

I always use a tent now but back when I was younger I just slept under the stars. If it was raining we would just keep moving. I was thinking about trying a tarp but my one man tent packs so small and light not sure it would save that much space.
    Trailace/ Rick
    “You can tell the size of the man by the size of the things that bother him”