Thread: Big Bend Ranch State Park (Interior)

Big Bend Ranch State Park (Interior)

GPS Coordinates 29 degrees 28’ 13.08” N; 103 degrees 57’27.65” W (Saucedo Ranger Station)

Date of visit:
    Dec. 2008/Jan. 2009

Weather:
    Good time to visit is during the winter. Temps can run as high as the mid-80s F to as low as the teens.

Campground Condition:

BBRSP is somewhat confusing. There are sites along the Rio Grande (RR 170) and sites in the interior. Arrangements can be made at any of three locations: Barton Warnock Env. Education Center near Lajitas, Fort Leaton State Historical Site outside of Presidio, or BBRSP Ranger Station and Visitor Center within the park (GPS Coords. above).

This review is about park interior camping.

• Access is by approx. 20 miles of graded, two-wheel drive dirt road. Some arroyo crossings are sandy.

• Late arrivals (after 4:30 p.m.) are supposed to camp at the “late-arrival” site just inside the park boundary (29 degrees 32’53.28” N; 104 degrees 09’ 40.79” W) because the Saucedo Ranger Station closes at 5 p.m. No facilities (no water, no toilet, no anything…it’s a dirt parking place 50 yds. off the road with Border Patrol driving by all night).

Sites are zoned as:
    • Front Country - within approximately one-quarter mile either side of the designated 2WD roads. All street legal and licensed vehicles are permitted in this zone.

• Primitive Road Zone - lands within one-quarter mile either side of designated 4WD or 2WD high clearance roads. Motorized vehicle access to this zone is restricted to street legal and licensed vehicles and must have at least four functional wheels (i.e. no motorcycles, although I was given permission to camp along one of these roads…inconsistent rules). Four-wheel drive roads are rough, probably only suited to light-weight bikes anyway, they’re no match for heavier, dual-sport bikes (650cc+) especially when fully loaded with camping gear.

• Backcountry Zones – Hike in only.

• Front Country sites without pit toilets require campers to carry a portable toilet you have to rent. (Yes, a portable toilet. A 5-gallon bucket lined with a plastic “carry out” bag and a toilet seat that fits on top. Not something one wants to strap on a bike. I found this out once I arrived. It’s not on the web site that I can find.)

Two front country sites have pit toilets:
    • South Leyva (29 degrees 28’36.13”N; 103 degrees 56’ 39.89” W). These sites are clustered very close to one another just like any other state park campground and may not be ideal for someone “trying to get away from it all.” (Especially after riding all the way out to here.)

• Escondidno Pens: This is where I camped. It’s a horse camp/group camp area, but the new park ranger working the front desk let me camp here because there is a pit toilet (and I wouldn’t have to carry in my own toilet). It’s a good camping location. Isolated, quiet, and a good “get away from it all location” suited to a dual-sport bike (ride with a knobby front tire and aggressive Tourance rear tire BTW). Slow, but do-able ride fully loaded with camping gear. (See http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...scondido.phtml for more).

• Showers at Saucedo Ranger Station & Visitor Center.

• Rangers kept offering me free ice (as if I needed it when during the 15 degree F nights!)

Area Attractions:
    • Everything is a long ride from inside the park.
    • El Solitario collapsed volcano view point.
    • Birding.
    • Day hiking.
    • Geology/Physical geography abounds.
    • Star gazing.

Area Riding:
    • River Road (170) runs from Presidio, TX eastward to Terlinqua/Study Butte, TX.
    • I logged 175 miles of dirt road inside the park and only saw one other vehicle.
    • Be prepared to be self-sufficient if needed in case of a breakdown or accident.
    • No gasoline in the park.

Additional Information:
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...ig_bend_ranch/

Re: Big Bend Ranch State Park (Interior)

walkstx thanks for the review and welcome to the site.

Big Bend is such a wonderful place to ride and camp.
    Trailace/ Rick
    “You can tell the size of the man by the size of the things that bother him”

Quote Originally Posted by Trailace View Post
    Big Bend is such a wonderful place to ride and camp.
    I agree!!!
    2005 Silver Goldwing
    2010 BMW 1200GS Adventure
    A Bad Day Riding Is Still Better Than A Good Day Working!

My son and I camped there in September 2018. Lots of spaces. New animal proof storage cabinets. Several small peccaries (small Wild pigs) roam the area looking for anything to eat. Loads of stars in the Texas sky. This was my 7th or 8th time to camp there.

Is there a paved road in and camping spots for us driving big (on the road only) rigs?
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

Paved road all the way to the Panther Junction. Paved the 20 or so miles on to the campground and paved all the way to the campsites. Just ride in and enjoy. You'll be rewarded for your efforts

SCRC Borderline member mrclean28h's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by walkstx View Post
    GPS Coordinates 29 degrees 28’ 13.08” N; 103 degrees 57’27.65” W (Saucedo Ranger Station)

Date of visit:
    Dec. 2008/Jan. 2009

Weather:
    Good time to visit is during the winter. Temps can run as high as the mid-80s F to as low as the teens.

Campground Condition:

BBRSP is somewhat confusing. There are sites along the Rio Grande (RR 170) and sites in the interior. Arrangements can be made at any of three locations: Barton Warnock Env. Education Center near Lajitas, Fort Leaton State Historical Site outside of Presidio, or BBRSP Ranger Station and Visitor Center within the park (GPS Coords. above).

This review is about park interior camping.

• Access is by approx. 20 miles of graded, two-wheel drive dirt road. Some arroyo crossings are sandy.

• Late arrivals (after 4:30 p.m.) are supposed to camp at the “late-arrival” site just inside the park boundary (29 degrees 32’53.28” N; 104 degrees 09’ 40.79” W) because the Saucedo Ranger Station closes at 5 p.m. No facilities (no water, no toilet, no anything…it’s a dirt parking place 50 yds. off the road with Border Patrol driving by all night).

Sites are zoned as:
    • Front Country - within approximately one-quarter mile either side of the designated 2WD roads. All street legal and licensed vehicles are permitted in this zone.

• Primitive Road Zone - lands within one-quarter mile either side of designated 4WD or 2WD high clearance roads. Motorized vehicle access to this zone is restricted to street legal and licensed vehicles and must have at least four functional wheels (i.e. no motorcycles, although I was given permission to camp along one of these roads…inconsistent rules). Four-wheel drive roads are rough, probably only suited to light-weight bikes anyway, they’re no match for heavier, dual-sport bikes (650cc+) especially when fully loaded with camping gear.

• Backcountry Zones – Hike in only.

• Front Country sites without pit toilets require campers to carry a portable toilet you have to rent. (Yes, a portable toilet. A 5-gallon bucket lined with a plastic “carry out” bag and a toilet seat that fits on top. Not something one wants to strap on a bike. I found this out once I arrived. It’s not on the web site that I can find.)

Two front country sites have pit toilets:
    • South Leyva (29 degrees 28’36.13”N; 103 degrees 56’ 39.89” W). These sites are clustered very close to one another just like any other state park campground and may not be ideal for someone “trying to get away from it all.” (Especially after riding all the way out to here.)

• Escondidno Pens: This is where I camped. It’s a horse camp/group camp area, but the new park ranger working the front desk let me camp here because there is a pit toilet (and I wouldn’t have to carry in my own toilet). It’s a good camping location. Isolated, quiet, and a good “get away from it all location” suited to a dual-sport bike (ride with a knobby front tire and aggressive Tourance rear tire BTW). Slow, but do-able ride fully loaded with camping gear. (See http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...scondido.phtml for more).

• Showers at Saucedo Ranger Station & Visitor Center.

• Rangers kept offering me free ice (as if I needed it when during the 15 degree F nights!)

Area Attractions:
    • Everything is a long ride from inside the park.
    • El Solitario collapsed volcano view point.
    • Birding.
    • Day hiking.
    • Geology/Physical geography abounds.
    • Star gazing.

Area Riding:
    • River Road (170) runs from Presidio, TX eastward to Terlinqua/Study Butte, TX.
    • I logged 175 miles of dirt road inside the park and only saw one other vehicle.
    • Be prepared to be self-sufficient if needed in case of a breakdown or accident.
    • No gasoline in the park.

Additional Information:
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...ig_bend_ranch/
    Excellent park been there several time we are 4 hours from it now and need to go back

2017 HD Tri Glide/ 2010 Timeout
    www.mrclean28.smugmug.com
    U.S. Army Retired

Well, ya got my curiosity up now, what be some roads to ride coming from the east like maybe San Antonio. I would be pulling my Leesure Lite.TIA

Interstate 10 and turn south to Marathon. Turn south to the park.