Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: coleman dual fuel single burner stove

coleman dual fuel single burner stove

Anybody use one of these, I have a propane single burner but packing two cylinders seems like a waste, this looks interesting along with a small siphon hose for pack size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 51NHVYDHM7L__SL500_AA280_.jpg  

Re: coleman dual fuel single burner stove

I use an older (1972) model. I just use the white gas, but have been told the unleaded would be ok.

The only problem I have had with it is operator error valve assembly problems (twice). I installed the twist valve handle wrong, it wouldn't hold pressure. Which led to a picture from George of my stove sitting dead cold between two of his 'penny stoves'.

The truth is it works real well for me, I have served a bunch of coffee off of it!

I used one on my Alaska trip last year every morning to perk my coffee and it never let me down. Lit the stove, went and took a shower, came back to fresh perked coffee.

Growing old, but not up!

I've got one of those somewhere... replaced it with an MSR.... But it did work well whenever I used it (and I used it a lot)... I just like the MSR better due to the size/weight I save...
    Prattville, AL 2004 ST1300
    STOC# 5859

I have an old Coleman 442 that only uses white gas that is indestructible! If it didn't work as well as it does, I would purchase the updated Exponent Feather 442 Dual-Fuel Stove. It packs smaller than the Exponent Multi Fuel Stove. Both stoves cost the same, but my personal pick would be the 442. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___85208

I too have the older white gas version, and it has worked very well over the years. Coleman stoves are a solid product. The generator on mine died last summer after more than 20 years use. I need to buy a replacement part and we are good to go!

Which stove to use comes down to fuel choice & fuel storage.

I recently switched over to the butane/propane cartridge style for the easy to use & small packing factor.
    Dave
    <<<< Willville in April

'99 ST1100

Quote Originally Posted by dannyk View Post
    Anybody use one of these, I have a propane single burner but packing two cylinders seems like a waste, this looks interesting along with a small siphon hose for pack size.
    I am shopping for a Coleman 533. I've been looking around, and battling buying the 442 or 533. They are both great little single-burner stoves. My brother has owned a 533 for about 8 years and uses it on camping trips and when he goes airplane camping. The 533 is about $20 cheaper than the 442. I guess it is a size/engineering thing.

I also have an MSR Pocket Rocket, which screws onto a fuel canister. It's a good little unit, but does not simmer well because it is easily impacted by wind. Turn it down and it can get blown out by the wind.

Brent
    D. Brent Miller, writer, photographer, and independent producer
    www.DBrentMiller.com Publisher of Sojourn Chronicles
    2015 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 ABS.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyk View Post
    I have one and have been using the single burners for a couple of years . I mostly make coffee if needed in the morning or boil water but have cooked a one pot item now and then. They just work . I am looking into the alcohol fuel ones like the swiss one as I am trying to cut down on package size. after the little stove and a stand and a bottle for fuel I am not saving much space so may keep my dual fuel stove as it works easy and I carry it in a Folgers plastic coffee can. I fill it before the trip and just need a light if I want to warm something up
    2014 Valkyrie Red the fastest color!
    Remember if its old and you are old its not worth as much as you paid for it

I actually pack and carry 2 of the Coleman Feather Lite 442's. Together they take up just about the same amount of room as a butane/propane cartridge style stove with an extra bottle of fuel. That extra bottle is something you'll need along an a week long trip because chances are you won't be able to find another if and when you run out. I carry a siphon hose rolled up in the bottom of one of the 442's storage bags. If I need fuel I pull it from my bike. Have had both 442's for over 3 years now and all they've ever know is unleaded gas. Never a problem and have performed flawlessly and never let me down yet.
    Keith R.
    Sun City, SoCal
    05' Honda GoldWing
    AKA ownst100 STOC 1211

I e-mailed Coleman asking about a couple of discrepancies I was seeing in information, reviews and their web site. Here's the info they sent back:

The 533 has remained largely unchanged for many years. It has been called the Sportster II for some time and became a Dual Fuel model sometime in the early 90s. The same can be said of the Feather 442 -- It has changed little in recent years. It is in the Coleman Exponent line, which is an evolution of the Peak 1 line. The 442 really can trace its routes to the mid-70s, but has been tweaked and evolved and likewise became a Dual Fuel model in the 90s. .... They are similar in performance. The 533 of course is larger and heavier. I'd say it is perhaps slightly more stable with that larger, circular base. The Feather 442 takes up a little less space in the saddlebag or backpack. And, with the fold-out legs, I find it to be plenty stable.

533 -- 10,500 Btu of power. 2.1 pints fuel capacity. Boil time: 4 minutes/qrt. Burn time: 1:75 on high, 6.5 hours on low.

442 -- 7.500 Btu of power. 11.8 oz. fuel capacity. Boil time: 3:75/qrt . Burn time: 1:35 on high, 7 hours on low (simmer).

Hope that helps you. It has helped me decide.