Thread: Painted Rock SP

Painted Rock SP

This isn't so much a review as a sighting. I rode out there yesterday because I wanted the ride. And to take some pictures of the <attached> monument, Painted Rock and it's petroglyphs. I haven't got all the pictures up, but many are in the link at the bottom of this post.

Park (and same name dam) has it's own exit off I-8, # 102. Park is roughly 10 miles North. It is a primitive site administered by the BLM. Pit toilets (clean), fire rings and huge concrete picnic tables. I didn't check the whole site, and I couldn't find the host. Looked to be about 10 people using the park, all in rv type campers. Posted cost is $8.00 per night per car. Sometimes BLM gives a 1/2 off for MCs.

Not so much about the park as the surrounding area. Wild and un touched desert, with wonderful winter weather. It was 72 as I was there yesterday, Jan. 08, 2009. The place was less than 25% used, it is the absolute peak of snowbird season. Should be useable by up water high country types until mid April or so, when the afternoon temps will be in the 100's.

I rode out the "back" way, included about 20 miles of dirt/gravel. I live in this part of the world and it was an interesting ride for me. Nice example of desert and the 'rock pile' is spectacular.

Re: Painted Rock SP

Looks like a good place to stop over
    2018 Pearl White Goldwing Tour DCT
    Remember if its old and you are old its not worth as much as you paid for it