Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NOT USED MUCH

Mellow

Re: NOT USED MUCH

The site is relatively small... if you took a poll of how many here have camper trailers it would be a very small group. I would guess that many with them are Wingers and hang out at wing sites - just a guess.

It would be great to see more posts from that segment of motocamping but the numbers currently don't support a lot of posting activity.

Wizz please post.
    I dont have a camper yet but it is in the wanna have list
    You could be the first to really get it going as many of us have trailers and many more would like to hear about your trips and the joys and saddness of towing a camper.
    I have moved up to a Uni-Go trailer but may go larger someday. I am always interesdted in the posts about campers

Ride fun
    Mike

Slightly Grumpy Old Guy Bipeflier's Avatar

We have a Wing and an Aspen Classic camper which we use on a regular basis. (33k miles on an '05). I have posted a couple of times on here, one was a review of the camper. http://www.motocampers.com/forums/sh...ighlight=aspen

I have put a couple of photo albums on here also showing some of our "adventures".http://www.motocampers.com/forums/all_albums.php

A lot of folks just post when they have something of substance to share.

Get us started!
    Last edited by Bipeflier; 11-23-2008 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Added Links
    '16 GL 1800 Red
    '07 Aspen Classic Camper
    '17 Yamaha WR250R - '69 Triumph 500 Daytona
    '50 Verbal GPS & Tour Guide

Thanks wizz, more and larger pics would be nice!

Pete
    Pete
    2010 Goldwing, 2012 Aspen Sentry

There are no strangers here, just friends we haven't met!

Just in case you haven't seen this:

http://www.motocampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389

It helped me anyway.

Guy
    My pics page: http://picasaweb.google.com/mrguy001

2003 Suzuki DR 650, The touring model.

Quote Originally Posted by G wizz View Post
    I've camped out of tents since I was a kid, and been riding street bikes since I was old enough to get a drivers license. The two just naturally came together for me. Didn't start pulling a trailer till I got a steady girlfriend that shared my traveling interests. Pulled a cargo trailer for many years, but as I got older sleeping on the ground kind'a lost its appeal. Had thought about getting a tent trailer for a while, and finally pulled the trigger on an Aspen Sentry when we planned our road trip to Alaska. We looked at quite a few tent trailers before we choose the Sentry. We were looking for something easy to set up, relatively light weight, and well made. We can set this thing up faster then we could set up a tent, which has been a blessing when we've had to set up in the rain. As for being well made, if you had seen some of the roads I've bounced this trailer over, and knew the miles it's rolled, you would agree with me that it is truly well made.
    Sure, I've made some changes to it here and there, but they were my personal touches to make things more pleasant for us..
    The only problem I have with the trailer is with a couple of tears in the window screens, that I wasn't sure how to repair. That is why I posted here on this forum, to find a repair that didn't look like crap.
    As for our trips, we've never had a bad trip, oh sure, we have had some unpleasant things happen, we have ridden and camped in temps ranging from near freezing to over a hundred, and in rain deep enough to float a boat, but over all, the trips were wonderful.
    To sum it up, we wouldn't do it if it wasn't fun. Besides it's great material for storys and memorys.

G wizz
    I have the Aspen Classic. Since my wife doesn't like to camp, I probably should have bought the Sentry also. It would have been a better fit for me. Anyway, I had the same tears in my screens. They don't really bother me and I just used some GE Silicone II to repair the tears and also the little bitty holes that one gets. A schmeer of Silicone plugs the holes. I think the little round holes in the tent are probably from campground bonfire embers that float around. I usually don't have a fire, but if someone has one going nearby, there's going to be stray ashes floating about. Of course, there's also the good old standby, duct tape - never leave home w/o it.

The tears in the screens are from the material somehow dropping below the top edge of the camper body and rubbing on the fiberglas edge. Or at least that is the only thing that comes to mind. I camp alone, so I have to fold the tent up by myself. Not a big deal really. I think I will put some rubber edging (maybe like the black edging that is installed on top of the steel lawn edging. There has to be a way to keep the tent and screen away from this area (front and rear of trailer body.

BTW, there are a few trailer forums out there. If you are familiar with the Delphi forums, go there. It is the most active motorcycle trailer forum on the internet, to my knowledge.

Also, you can view my motorcycle and trailer pics at www.picturetrail.com/bvail

p.s. How did that sticky tape screen repair stuff work out for you?
    Last edited by bvail; 12-06-2008 at 12:15 PM. Reason: ommision
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

Thumbs up Re: NOT USED MUCH

I will have to toss my oar into the water and say regardless of use this site helped me a great deal in the run-up to my Alaska/Canada trip last summer. I have a couple of threads I have not posted to since the summer, things have been busy since I returned home. My trip was not the usual Alaska trip in that I went on my ST1100 hack! An old friend, Don Seedsman, from Oz flew over to go with me after I had a massive heart attack in October 07. The St was perfect the entire trip, did not use enough oil to cause any to be added, never missed a beat. Our fuel mileage was not great, as low as 20 mpg and highest was 30 mpg. However if you consider the load, ST with fuel 700lbs, sidecar 275-300, camper trailer (Lil Bunkhouse with 7 gallon emergency fuel tank on rear) 400-500? and 2 old farts about 180 each. When you add it all up we were around 1800 lbs or better! We were on the road for 76 days, in or through 17 states, 10 Canadian Provinces, total mileage of 15,256 miles. We camped around 55 or better of those days, I was in the camper and Don in a tent we carried in the trailer tub, along with a lot of stuff we didn't use! We are both working on trip reports, no small task with hours of recorded notes and 3,577 pictures to sort out. I will try to add some pictures to go with this post.

Pic#1, in my driveway the day we left
    Pic#2 our 3rd campsite in Mo.
    Pic#3 our traditional "Circle" picture
    Pic#4 Don at our turnaround point on the Haul Road, our northern most point
    Pic#5 this was typical of the haul road, the pavement behind Don was atypical for us
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gene @ the Beginning!.jpg   3rd Camp site.jpg   Artic Circle & we didn't bust!.jpg   Don at northern most point!.jpg   Typical section of Haul Road.jpg  

I didn't get this old by being timid, just not being stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCall View Post
    I will have to toss my oar into the water and say regardless of use this site helped me a great deal in the run-up to my Alaska/Canada trip last summer. I have a couple of threads I have not posted to since the summer, things have been busy since I returned home. My trip was not the usual Alaska trip in that I went on my ST1100 hack! An old friend, Don Seedsman, from Oz flew over to go with me after I had a massive heart attack in October 07. The St was perfect the entire trip, did not use enough oil to cause any to be added, never missed a beat. Our fuel mileage was not great, as low as 20 mpg and highest was 30 mpg. However if you consider the load, ST with fuel 700lbs, sidecar 275-300, camper trailer (Lil Bunkhouse with 7 gallon emergency fuel tank on rear) 400-500? and 2 old farts about 180 each. When you add it all up we were around 1800 lbs or better! We were on the road for 76 days, in or through 17 states, 10 Canadian Provinces, total mileage of 15,256 miles. We camped around 55 or better of those days, I was in the camper and Don in a tent we carried in the trailer tub, along with a lot of stuff we didn't use! We are both working on trip reports, no small task with hours of recorded notes and 3,577 pictures to sort out. I will try to add some pictures to go with this post.

Pic#1, in my driveway the day we left
    Pic#2 our 3rd campsite in Mo.
    Pic#3 our traditional "Circle" picture
    Pic#4 Don at our turnaround point on the Haul Road, our northern most point
    Pic#5 this was typical of the haul road, the pavement behind Don was atypical for us
    Gene, Can't wait to read your report I wish I could go on a 2 month ride.
    Trailace/ Rick
    “You can tell the size of the man by the size of the things that bother him”

I'm sorry I can't post pictures of my Bunkhouse, they reside in my computer in Ohio and I'm in California. This is my 2nd Bunkhouse. I had a '95 for many years and watched the newer models come out with more and more inovations and in '04 bought a new one. I took both of them to AK, and several STOC events, then sold it, but will be getting it back here soon. I'll probably have it in Big Bend. It was the talk of everyone that showed up in Big Bend a couple of years ago. Joe took pictures and posted them on this board.