Thread: KOA-Grants

Sleeping Bag KOA-Grants

A few years back we went to the Fire & Ice Rally in Grants New Mexico and stayed at the KOA there. It could use some trees. Its got tent camping behind the office which puts you right next to the bathrooms & showers which is nice, and the have coffee in the morning and some food too. If your pulling a trailer you can get a pull through....my rig looked funny in between two big motorhomes........theres a horse stable on the other side of the fence and the flys were really bad when we were camped in the RV part, but the second time we stayed there on our way to Sturgis we stayed in the tent area and there were no flys, partly because it was raining........its ok for and over night stop....if you do stop there you have to see the ice cave.....it never melts......its awesome....thats the ice part of the run and the fire is the old volcano you have to see.....its actually a hole in the ground.....I know......all that walking for that???? Yes. We did ride through the Bad Lands also.......had to do it......its just east of Grants a few miles....
    Theres one bike shop in town and this guy is great.......the next shop in Albuquerque a hundred miles away. the second time in Grants my buddy got a flat tire and was calling his recovery poeple and after three phone calls they told him that the closest tow was out of Albuquerque......so I put him on my bike and took him to Bob's bike shop and he got taking care of......
    That story is part of my Sturgis run............

Ride safe
    Shadow

Re: KOA-Grants

Grants KOA is one of my favorite KOA's in the whole KOA chain. I think my first choice would be the first KOA which is in Billings MT. The one in Grants has the tent area sheltered from the NM winds and it is far enough away from the interstate that the truck noise is not nearly as bad as most KOAs. Big thumbs up for this one from me!!! And the couple that run it are super hosts.

i would have to say our favorite to date is the one in
    crescent city,ca. nice and quiet with lots of trees..
    Posted via Mobile Device

(Threadstarter)

Sleeping Bag Re: KOA-Grants

Grants KOA is our first stop for the night we were headed that way...Once we stayed at Holbrook KOA, but if the wind is just right you get the highway noise...it also needs trees...........

Shadow

I stayed there for one night on the way to Taos last year. The tent area is small & was also full of young people so they gave me an rv spot for the same price. It was clear at the end, nobody around....perfect. The wind was also blowing from the stable next door (actually just on the other side of the fence). The place wasn't crowded at all as gas prices were really up there.

I'll likely do it again if I am up that way.

Larry

I also had a good stay at Grants. I would stay there again. My Avatar is from my trip there last summer. I got lucky and had the tent area to myself.

Both times I've stopped there I had the tent area all to myself.