Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TAT in the fall 2008

TAT in the fall 2008

I will edit this later but wanted to post a teaser video.

TAT
    Trailace/ Rick
    “You can tell the size of the man by the size of the things that bother him”

Re: TAT in the fall 2008

Cool, looks like fun

also dont forget to tell us what cam that is

Steve
    2012 BMW R1200GS
    1994 Honda XR250R

And did you get any closer to the forest rats than those two in the video???

That's cool.. always nice to ride in areas with the least population possible... of people.
    Joe (My Travels) 2014 Super Tenere

Oh Yea, I'm kicking myself now.

Guy
    My pics page: http://picasaweb.google.com/mrguy001

2003 Suzuki DR 650, The touring model.

Administrator
    (Threadstarter)

TAT Fall 2008
    The Planning

When Chief and I were in Mexico last May we decided to do the TAT together. We picked the end of September so it would be cooler and not as busy at work. I purchased the maps from Sam for AR, OK and CO. I loaded every turn with a waypoint into map source; it ended up being a little over 750 of them. Others have said that map source routing would not work but I did not have one issue with any of the routes I had made. There is a section in CO just west of Delagua that is no longer accurate but more on that later. I posted the ride on a few web sites to see if anyone wanted to join us. At one point there were 7 riders. However when it came time to go there would just be three of us.

Chief (Mike)

Guy

and myself Trailace (Rick).

I wanted to pack as light as possible so I downsized everything that I could. The rear bag weighed less then 30 ponds, the tank bag 9 ponds and my spare tubes on the front fender. I also brought a new smaller camera but sure wish I had some way to bring a better camera on the X Challenge. I will work on this for the next ride.

Everything was going to plan until Ike came to town and created a few issues for Chief and myself. Chief had 5 feet of bay water in his house and was not sure if he would be able to make it but if he could he would be delayed for a few days. I found out the night before I was to leave that there had been no power at the ranch for the last week and I would need to go there and clean out a freezer and refrigerator. So I loaded the X Challenge in the truck and headed there with my wife.

Getting to the meeting place.

We were all going to meet September 20th at St Francis NP ($4) just north of Helens AR and start the TAT on Sunday September 21st. I took mostly back roads to cover the 400 plus miles and I had a few issues that I would need to fix.

First I lost the yellow valve part of my camelback and the GPS kept going on and off. I had just added a new on off switch for the GPS so that I could kill the power with out having to unplug it every night and the waterproof cover was to tight causing it to go on and off. I removed the cover and all seemed to be working ok. However I had this issue with the switch a few more times and will be replacing it soon. When going through Shreveport there was a Bass Pro-shop so I made a quick stop and the valve on the camelback was replaced.

New bridge over the Mississippi.

I made it to St Francis NP and set up my tent.

Not long after that Guy showed up.

He was there earlier and did some riding in the area to kill time. After we were done setting up we started a fire and talked about the TAT and how we would communicate with each other while riding. The weather was perfect for camping and before long I was in a deep sleep.

TAT Day 1
    We were both up and packed early, ready for the excitement that awaited us on the TAT. We had waited so long and the time was finally here.

The eastern side of AR was mostly gravel and dusty roads.

Guy was eating a lot of dust.

There was this road that had a sign and was just mowed.

We did have a few water crossings but nothing difficult.

Then we climbed a little and came to this nice overlook.

It was getting late so we decided to find a place to eat dinner and camp. It was just 15 miles to Russellville so we headed there for dinner. However we found a little café in Pleasant Valley that had great food and was a lot closer to our camping destination. Oh I forgot Chief called and left me a message that he would be leaving to meet us Monday. I called him back and told him we should be in Devils Den State Park Monday night. After dinner we headed back to the trail and stopped at Long Pool campground ($7).

We were looking at the map and decided that at the pace we were going we would be past Devils Den SP by lunch and would need to call Chief and let him know a new meeting place. There is no cell phone signal at Long Pool so we called him the next morning first chance we got. The new-planned destination would be Wah-Sha-She SP OK. We had a great first day and could not wait for the next.

cool

Didn't take ya long to get started. I haven't even got my camera out of my jacket!

Cool !!!!!!!

Nice job.

Guy

P.S. Rick I stole one of your pics,hope you don't mind.