Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TimeOut Slipstream trailer-camper

TimeOut Slipstream trailer-camper

I was wondering if anyone has ever used, or seen in use, the Slipstream trailer? I sorta like the shape, it's not a box or weird shape like most. It's large and can also be setup as a solo camper. It seems like it might be like sleeping in a coffin, but the ease of setup looks interesting. I'm thinking that it would be easy to open/close up to allow for more time on the road. As much as I don't mind tenting I wouldn't turn away from getting off the ground. It's also not as costly as some of the larger "pop-up" style campers, ($2500 new).

http://www.timeout-trailers.com/ie/p...eam/index.html
    Last edited by Trekker; 02-25-2006 at 07:25 AM.
    Dave
    <<<< Willville in April

'99 ST1100

Re: TimeOut Slipstream trailer-camper

Been a while since you posted this but I stumbled across it. I like the look and the price isn't as bad as the other campers. A 10 second setup sure would be nice and not being on the ground.

At this site (http://www.cyclematetrailers.com/page/page/2944089.htm) the guy seems like he won't be able to stretch out, his knees are bent. He says he's 6 ft tall.

I'm curious if you have your head to the end/back of the trailer and you lay flat, if your feet can stick straight up.
    Joe (My Travels) 2014 Super Tenere

The biggest problem with the Time-out is all the storage is on top of the trailer and in the weather. It is roomy inside. They also have a room option that makes it more than double in size. The one you're talking about is different than the one Trekker is talking about, Joe. As many rallies I've been to where Time-out has had trailers, I've never seen that little jobby.

Quote Originally Posted by motomac
    The biggest problem with the Time-out is all the storage is on top of the trailer and in the weather. It is roomy inside. They also have a room option that makes it more than double in size. The one you're talking about is different than the one Trekker is talking about, Joe. As many rallies I've been to where Time-out has had trailers, I've never seen that little jobby.
    You'd think it would be more popular.. but I've yet to find a review on it.

(Threadstarter)

I saw the Timeout campers in person a couple years ago at Americade in Lake George, NY. I actually got into the Slipstream to check it out. Feet first seemed right, with my head towards the backend. I do remember I thought it could have been just a couple inches longer. I'm 5'10" and anyone taller might be cramped. It definitely is a one man bed.

The larger Timeout campers seemed VERY roomy inside, but take way too much time to set up IMO. For that style I like the Leesurelite (sp) or the Kamparoo versions, which just fold the top over and the tent sets up as it goes.

My take so far:
    Timeout Camper-
    Pro: Very roomy & a place to be out of the rain without getting the bed wet.
    Con: Too much work to setup & (like Mac said) all the gear is up on top.

Slipstream Camper-
    Pro: Easy setup and a smaller profile.
    Con: Short bed & no place to be out of the rain before getting into bed. Might also be difficult to get into the bed as well.

I guess my questions about the Slipstream are all about how well it pulls & overall quality. But I too have not seen any reviews or met anyone to quiz that uses one.

I'm sure it handles just fine. Most of the handling issues I've heard about with trailers are when they are too short and this one appears to be long enough to be stable.

One thing to consider, and I'm not sure if it's much of an issue, is if the trailer has leaf springs or torsion bars for a suspension. The torson bar suspensions seem to not bounce as much but Mac probably has more info / comments on that than I do. If you wanted to, you could probably make one a torsion bar susp. with little effort.

I really like the way the Slipstream works... However, my biggest issue with it is that it's actually larger than a Bunkhouse trailer. It's lighter by 100+ lbs (it's around 210 lbs).

I don't care for all the cargo space underneath the floor. I would have preferred a little cargo space, maybe half as much, and in trade get a shorter (ground to top) trailer that should have less impact on gas mileage and less of a profile.

I've sorta been searching for a car top carrier that would be long enough, for a 6'+ person yet, flatter that you could rivet tent or canvas material to and make a cheaper version of this. The floor/padding would be easy to do and you could make supports w/slits to create a small area for some cargo.

I just haven't been able to find a car top carrier that is long enough, any ideas? Heck, maybe I'll put one together and make plans for it and sell them on ebay and become a millionaire... or not.

(Threadstarter)

Your stealing my idea! LOL

Thule & Yakima have boxes at 92" x 36". These all hinge on the side, which actually might be easier to enter/exit. Structural strength might need to be addressed as these might not like to have a 200lb body climbing in & out.

Quote Originally Posted by Trekker
    Your stealing my idea! LOL

Thule & Yakima have boxes at 92" x 36". These all hinge on the side, which actually might be easier to enter/exit. Structural strength might need to be addressed as these might not like to have a 200lb body climbing in & out.
    Yeah, this is a biggie.... not sure how to set one up without possibly breaking it or warping it from use. Also, a side opening is good but a trailer wheel/tire might be in the way.

If bottom supports are built into it, like the slipstream trailer, then a thick pad placed on top maybe that pad could be taller than the lip of the bottom section.

The bottom of these roof top carriers aren't all flat so it might be a issue there too. However, once you have the inner supports cut to fit the inside then the pad that should support your weight even getting in/out.. you'd still need to be careful though.