Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Roll-A-Home Maiden Voyage

Re: New Roll-A-Home Maiden Voyage

Did you by any chance get the brakes with the trailer? RAH seems to be one of the few campers that offer them. I've got an old Kompact Kamp now and wished it had them.

This is a 4 year old thread! I thought it was dead!

No brakes on mine. They would have been nice though. It is a heavy beast.

After a few years, I still like it. But, for the bike, I would have prefered the standard model. It is a bit pushy at very low speeds, and very high speeds. At 20-60 MPH, it's very much there, but handles well. We tend to overload it though.

We pull it with our van in the winter taking it to her family. We sleep in it in her father's garage since the whole family is there and there are not enough beds. Add a small space heater, and it's perfect for having our own place to sleep in a house full of relatives! :-) Anyhow, with the van, it's like it's not even there!

We use it about 3 times a year now. Better than sleeping on the ground!
    -- Jeff
    2014 H-D Limited
    2005 H-D Dyna Trike
    2008 Roll-A-Home Camper

I guess since I am following up ...

Got a rise hitch bar. It was also too long, so had my nephew cut it shorter and drill a new hole. It's OK now.

Still need to watch the load balance closely. I have gotten a scale out and weighed both tires and the hitch. Keep the tires within 20 lbs or so and it handles perfect. Get too much off and it fishtails. Sadly, I am about 65-75 lbs on the tongue! Got to be there or it handles bad. I hope the bike can keep taking that much weight. So far it's been good to go. Just had my mechanic look at it, and he didn't see any problems.

Did have the stator go out last summer. Got to test my wife's trike pulling it as the back up plan. My bike went on a trailer home and I rode "bitch" on her trike. She pulled it easier than my bike did I think. Except, she has a Dyna trike, so horsepower isn't there to do that every time. It handled better, but took all the power it had to get it home.

So, plan "b" works if we ever need it again. I'll keep using my Ultra as the first choice to pull it. Besides, she's on a trike for a reason. No need to stress her with concerns about a trailer too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
    Did you by any chance get the brakes with the trailer? R-a-H seems to be one of the feel campers that offer them. I've got an old Kompact Kamp now and wished it had them.
    I've got trailer brakes on my RAH WideBed. I rigged up the brake controller in the trailer so I can pull it with different bikes and it works great.

Loaded for bear, it ways in the neighborhood of 630-640 lbs. and I wouldn't want to make an evasive stop without them. I'm towing with a ABS GL1800. After using them for a while, I figured out to adjust the brake voltage to where the tires are just before locking up on wet pavement. If the load lightens, I back down a tad. On dry roads, I can stop just about as fast as a Wing with no trailer in tow.

With all that being said, I am going to rig up a toggle switch on the bike to turn the trailer brakes off while in parking lots as they don't know but one stopping rate. Without the switch, it isn't un-managable but would be better without them below 5 mph.

I, also, have a RAH without brakes but am considering adding them based on what I've seen on the WideBed model.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Zackybilly1 View Post
    I've got trailer brakes on my RAH WideBed. I rigged up the brake controller in the trailer so I can pull it with different bikes and it works great.
    Z
    If you have time can you post how you did it and which controller you are using?
    Thanks!
    seeya
    eidolon

I bought a 2012 RAH with the pull out bed and we love it. After looking around for some time we decided it was the best on the market. I did get the electric brakes and like zackybilly, I put the controller in the camper. I see no need to put a on/off switch in the system because I have no problems at slow speed, like in parking lots. Get a controller that is proportional and instantanious. In other words, no delay in response and applies braking force proportionally to the speed of the bike and/or the force applied to the brakes. I use the Agility controller from Hopkins Towing Soultions and have had no problems with it. It is instantly adjustable for both braking force and sensitivity by simply pushing buttons.

I can't believe it's been 10 years!

We are getting older and don't ride as much. The camper was only used between 1 and 3 times a year. It was so worth having it those times though! The past 2 years have been the once a year use years.

We just bought a new 22 foot camper. I really should sell the roll-a-home to help pay for this new one. I am torn though. We never did use it that much, but it was very nice to have when we did need it. Our last camp with it would have been the end of August. Our kids (adults) are begging us to let them use it so they don't have to put up a tent, but there are 3 of them so how do we choose which gets to use it! Might be more fair to just sell it.

There was really only one event a year where we rode our bikes and towed the trailer with a bike. The past 2 years we have not made it to that camp out.

Anyhow, I have not been on this site for a while. I will be back again while I figure out what to do with the old roll-a-home. It was fun reading up a bit today and remembering old names.

Troyboy1948, I see you sold yours not to long ago also.

Quote Originally Posted by mmowat@inethome.ca View Post
    So has anyone found any negatives with the Rollahome. We have a Leisure lite but the bed setup looks better in the Rollahome.
    Thanks
    Michelle.
    NEGATIVES? -- No.
    Recommendations: yes.
    Have the plastic protectors for all the windows.

The XTRA room is nice and functional once its up. But getting it “UP” (& down) is a P-I-A. I don’t use it unless I'm staying for at least 3 days.

Brakes are needed not only because of the dry weight but because of the potential of filling the big storage space.

Swivel hitch. Ball hitch should be fine for expected situations.

Unexpected situations like your bike falling over on soft ground. With the weight and width of the RAH its not going to follow the bike over.

Choice: $100 for a swivel hitch or multiple hundreds for the rear undercarriage.

One thing I learned from this forum is to carry a small HF jack. Billy puts only one leg on the rear end. Jack comes in handy if you have to change the spare tire on the non-supported side.

Fill
    ’94 GL 1500 SE Extras: SIRUS Satellite Radio, Garmin GPS, SADDLEMAN Road Sofa and Touring Luggage, Touring Floodlights, Multiple Deer Whistles.
    Pulling an ’80 Eagle 1 Trailer or ’12 Roll A Home (wide bed, brakes)
    GWRRA / IBMC / TT / KOA

Quote Originally Posted by Fill View Post
    NEGATIVES? -- No.
    Recommendations: yes.
    Have the plastic protectors for all the windows.

The XTRA room is nice and functional once its up. But getting it “UP” (& down) is a P-I-A. I don’t use it unless I'm staying for at least 3 days.

Brakes are needed not only because of the dry weight but because of the potential of filling the big storage space.

Swivel hitch. Ball hitch should be fine for expected situations.

Unexpected situations like your bike falling over on soft ground. With the weight and width of the RAH its not going to follow the bike over.

Choice: $100 for a swivel hitch or multiple hundreds for the rear undercarriage.

One thing I learned from this forum is to carry a small HF jack. Billy puts only one leg on the rear end. Jack comes in handy if you have to change the spare tire on the non-supported side.

Fill
    ’94 GL 1500 SE Extras: SIRUS Satellite Radio, Garmin GPS, SADDLEMAN Road Sofa and Touring Luggage, Touring Floodlights, Multiple Deer Whistles.
    Pulling an ’80 Eagle 1 Trailer or ’12 Roll A Home (wide bed, brakes)
    GWRRA / IBMC / TT / KOA

I'm with you. I'm on my second one and think they're the best (but everybody thinks theirs is best)...
    2019 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

Our kids used it this past weekend. Wife says we should hang on to it. So I guess we will not be selling it.