Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee sure Lite Awning X brace with tent poles

Re: Lee sure Lite Awning X brace with tent poles

So...getting back to the x-brace poles...I just got a LL cycle model and will be making this modification to the awning that came with it.
    I have an awning of that style already so I can borrow those poles for sizing purposes. The problem I expect to have to solve is the water that flows to the valley between the awning and the tent. I haven't experienced my trailer in the rain yet, will this actually be an issue?, or will the runoff flow easily to the outside corners at the ends of the tent. Comments?
    1979 Wil-mac trike..."Wilma", '83 goldwing Aspencade
    Teardrop cargo trailer, 1960 Apache Chief tent trailer

Site Supporter

We tried this mod. We found in rain the water runs back to and through the zipper between awning and trailer. Just don't keep things up next to trailer under awning.

Oceanside CA, and Milford NH and lots in between

Quote Originally Posted by almosthere View Post
    We tried this mod. We found in rain the water runs back to and through the zipper between awning and trailer. Just don't keep things up next to trailer under awning.
    So the inside of the tent didn't get any leakage?
    Stu.
    2008 GL1800 Level 4
    1988 KampARoo pop up
    Previously 2007 & 2008 Aspen Sentry

Site Supporter

no, the water ran down the outside after passing through the zipper.

I'm thinking there must be a way I can make a gutter from waterprooff nylon that hangs under the zipper to carry that water out to the ends of the awning...hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by kerryb View Post
    I'm thinking there must be a way I can make a gutter from waterprooff nylon that hangs under the zipper to carry that water out to the ends of the awning...hmmm...
    Maybe so....... How about slicing a 2 1/2" pvc pipe in half and rounding over the cut edges smooth to protect the fabric. That should carry most rain amounts except maybe gully washer storms.
    Or maybe a troth out of waterproof roof fabric with Velcro on each side of the troth, the camper and the awning. That would take a bit of sewing though.

I have had my Leesure Lite for 5 years and have never used the awning. Mostly because our trips have been on the run, and we only set up for the night and then gone again in the morning. (no it's not for sale)
    I'm going to make a 6 or 8" PVC pipe to install under the camper to store the poles and the awning in while travelling.

Looking at the pictures, it seems that the poles are too tall. What if they were a bit shorter so that the water does not run back towards the tent.

--
    Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    g.

Looking at the pictures, it seems that the poles are too tall. What if they were a bit shorter so that the water does not run back towards the tent.

--
    Gordon
    You also use shorter poles on the outside edge of the awning to make a lean to, kind of. Water should just run off then.
    2010 GL1800 Endeavor Reverse Trike, Leesure Lite Excel camper.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch2 View Post
    You also use shorter poles on the outside edge of the awning to make a lean to, kind of. Water should just run off then.
    You'd have to go way down as the dome in the center of the X brace is higher than the peak of the camper roof as seen in this screen shot from the OP video
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20201007-130221.jpg