Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Thoughts on a trip

Your Thoughts on a trip

It appears I am going to be finally getting a MC trip in. It will be mid Oct (Lord willing and the creek don't rise).
    I am hoping to ride Rt 52 (River Road) through Ohio then onto Rt 50 across IN into IL.
    Any feedback on good camping sites or things to see?

If the weather turns cold early this year, perhaps Rt 15 south down through NC.

I will be taking back roads and stay off the interstate as much as possible. Bad weather I will hunker down and wait it out as I have no set destinations or time table beyond I will stay gone about 7 days. I am figuring 250 to 350 miles per day tops.

So, please give me your input on roads to ride, places to see, things to do.
    Deb

2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

Re: Your Thoughts on a trip

Deb, I think you are going to want to search out the private campgrounds with that timetable. Most state and federal parks will have closed their bathrooms/showers by then (in normal years). An exception was Marlin ton State Park in West Virginia
    . Gary Moody and I stayed there and they kept the baths open until November for deer hunters. Beautiful area to ride in at that time of year. On the way down there I stayed at a state park in south east Ohio. They were open to camping but bathrooms and showers were closed. Keeping to yourself and avoiding most mingling would be my plan. I am thinking of getting away in early October myself.

Richard

(Threadstarter)

Thanks for the tip. I had not thought of them closing but no worries. I will spend every 3 night in a motel

3 days is a LONG time to "hold it”.

Georgia State Parks are open with BR / Showers. But that’s today.

Fill
    ’08 GL 1800
    Pulling an ’80 Eagle 1 Trailer or ’12 Roll A Home (wide bed, brakes)
    GWRRA / IBMC / TT / KOA

Clifty Falls State Park near Madison, IN
    About 50 miles south of Hwy 50

Patoka Lake south of French Lick, IN
    About 25 miles south of Hwy 50

Shawnee National Forest in southeastern IL
    Garden of the Gods, Cave in Rock State Park,
    Cave in Rock Ferry across the Ohio River

Land Between The Lakes, KY

Mammoth Cave National Park

(Threadstarter)

Thanks for the information and suggestions!

spring mill state park in IN.

(Threadstarter)

Thanks zipp

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650 mcrider1959's Avatar

If you are riding Route 50 across Illinois you will be only 30 miles north of where I live in Mt. Vernon.
    There are a couple of really nice state park campgrounds right on Route 50 in Illinois. The first one is Red Hills State Park it is on the east side of the state with Sumner IL being the closest town to the park. The second state park campground is Eldon Hazlet State Park. This park is on the west shore of Carlyle Lake, which just happens to be the largest lake in Illinois. Anyway, there several places (6 or 7 campgrounds) to camp at on Carlyle Lake, just depends are where you would like to be on the lake. My favorite spot is at Boulder Recreation Area on the east side of the lake. The small town of Carlyle has just about anything you might need for an overnight stay or two.
    Between the two state parks there is a nice little campground at Charlie Brown Memorial Park in Flora Illinois also right on Route 50.
    Another nice small state park is Stephen A. Forbes State Rec. Area. Nice camp ground on a small lake. It is located about 4 or 5 miles north of Route 50 on the Omega road.

For things to see along Route 50 in Illinois from the east heading west:
    The Lawrenceville-Vincennes International Airport. Really not much of an airport these days but, historically it was home of the Eastern Flying Training Command in 1942.
    Next stop could be in Olney Illinois. This is the home of the white squirrels. The squirrels are found thru out town but, the best place to see them is the city park. The city park is a good place to take a break and have a snack. Also at the Olney city park you will find a bronze historical marker telling about the first experimental solar power plant that was built in Olney in 1902.
    Further west on 50 is Salem Illinois. Not much here in Salem but, a nice statue of home town boy, William Jennings Bryan. The statue is across from the city park named after Byran.
    Once you travel west of the town of Carlyle there is not much else to see along route 50 except farmland and small rural towns until you hit the metro east area of St. Louis.

Hope this info helps!
    Roger

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650/2006 KLX250S

(Threadstarter)

mcrider, thanks so much. each post give me ideas