Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you carry extra gas while touring?

Cool Do you carry extra gas while touring?

I have a long tour coming up. Part of the ride will be beyond the maximum range of my Spyder. I'll be near (Area 51) in the desert north of Las Vegas.
    I believe I will need to carry 1+ gals of extra gas. I'm considering using a couple of big Aluminum water bottles mounted on
    my left side passenger foot board. I ride solo so the foot board space is available.
    Any thoughts or ideas ??
    My life is a caricature of reality
    David C.
    Suzuki VStrom 650 - Sold, Current Ryde Can Am Spyder STS -" "
    Honda ST1300 - Sold, Suzuki Burgman 400 - RIP

Re: Do you carry extra gas while touring?

I will sometimes use MSR fuel bottles, they are are 30oz. and other times I will use a 1.25 gallon red gas can from Walmart that is mounted in a homemade aluminum rack, bolted to a rear foot peg Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gas can.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	621.3 KB 
ID:	23797

Here is a picture of one I put on my wife's 650
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1800 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

I have carried a REDA gas can or a couple of MSR bottles.
    Deb

2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

I'd get maybe a couple of the 1.25 gal gas cans that Bob shows and use a couple of Rok Straps to hold them secure to the passenger floor boards
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

I always carry an MSR bottle on my trips. I haven't had to use it yet, but I've come too close for comfort. Better safe than stranded.

Let me calmly note:
    DO NOT USE CONTAINERS THAT AREN'T SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED TO CARRY FUEL!

1) It's not safe. Water bottles are meant to carry water. It's possible that over time, the plastic caps may deform and leak from exposure to the fuel, and they may not stand up to the extra pressure...Gasoline expands when it gets warmed up...water doesn't.
    2) It's illegal. Especially when riding though tunnels, etc..

I once took a long trip on a scooter (yes, a scooter) with a small plastic gas can secured to the floorboards. It was a bit awkward because it obstructed the step-through design, but it worked. It'll do for a one-off, but I eventually replaced it with a holder for and MSR bottle.
    Transporting a Molotov cocktail between my legs wasn't my happy thought, so I worked out a better system.

My two cents.
    I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines.

(Threadstarter)

Cool Re: Do you carry extra gas while touring?

Thanks to all who replied.
    I like the ideas for MSR bottles and the Small red fuel can, especially the mounting rack.
    Looks like I need to go shopping.

I would start here:

https://rotopax.com/

Site Supporter

I'm with Deb, I use a REDA container, stored in a side bag. It is molded with an angled side and matches the angled end of my side bag. Plus the unit is very sturdy and has never leaked. I have never needed to use it but have used it for other bikers. I only carry it on longer trips and do not use it around town.

Jim

I have a new unused REDA fuel container I would sell ... P M me if your interested...

G

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

My 1st post but why don't you go to Lowes or HD to the lawn section and get
    one of the 4cyl cans of fuel not the 2cyl this is stabilized fuel so will not go bad
    about $7..Glenn