Thread: Leesure Lite Solar Panel

Leesure Lite Solar Panel

Has anyone ever mounted a solar panel to the top rack of a Leesure Lite trailer, if so how did you do it. Pictures are great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Leesure Lite Solar Panel

Search "Old Guy on a Bike" on youtube. He has several videos of his trips and camper renovations, including mounting solar panels. He has also posted some of his videos on this site.

I use a CPAP machine so I mounted a 50 watt solar panel on mine to charge the CPAP battery if I'm somewhere without power. I also have it where I can put it on my cargo trailer too. (I'll try to get pictures when it stops raining). I mounted 1 inch square aluminum tubing to the cargo rack cross bars using u-bolts. I mounted the solar panel on 1 inch tubing also. I drilled holes through the rack tubing and used 2 1/2 inch long bolts inserted up from the bottom and screwed into what Hillman calls "T-Nuts" (H#880539 from Lowes). Then I located the solar panel tubing across the bottom tubing and drilled holes for the bolts to stick up through. I secure the panel with wing nuts and it makes removal fairly simple. You have to do you bolt/hole lay out to make sure everything lines up before you drill and make sure to orient the panel the same way every time so everything lines up when you go to put it back on. I put an aluminum plate on the tongue and mounted a "supposedly" waterproof box on it. I mounted the charge controller inside it and then put the battery in there to charge it. The solar panel charges going down the road and when camping I place it where it can get sun.
    Talmadge
    "GroundHog"

(Threadstarter)

Awesome. Would love to see pictures. Looking for a quick removal option.

Here are some pictures. I used vinyl tubing on the u-bolts where they go around the luggage rack. The pieces with holes in them attached to the solar panel were for angle adjustment when it was permanently mounted on the cargo trailer and are not needed, just haven't taken them off yet. I just remove the panel and prop it up against the tongue or where it will get sunlight. You may want to make the cables from the panel to the controller longer or make some removable extensions for better panel placement once removed from the rack.
    (Sorry about the picture rotation..)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solar1.jpg   Solar2.jpg   Solar3.jpg   Solar4.jpg   Solar5.jpg  

Solar6.jpg   Solar7.jpg   Solar8.jpg  

(Threadstarter)

Thank you so much. It is exactly what I was looking for!