Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bluebird Cam

Re: Bluebird Cam

Interesting.

So, it is the same birds. I thought maybe it was another type of bird taking over the house.

I wonder what they think about having to rebuild the nest....would they have taken over the old one if it was still there..??

--
    Gordon

(Threadstarter)

We had a Downy Woodpecker check out the box a few times recently, not much interest from anyone else that I noticed. I've seen the WP feeding their babies at the suet feeder, they are big enough to be on their own so expecting them to start another brood somewhere. Have had a family of Starlings raiding the mealworms and feeding their babies that are with them. Not sure where they nested, just started showing up at feeders. They can be a pest, haven't had that much of a problem with em over the years, tend to come and go.

When the BB's decided to start a new nest, we assumed its the same pair from first nest since they have babies hanging out with them. The male BB is very territorial, especially during the breeding season. He'll chase off any other BB within a given area he claims. So no point in putting up more boxes within the area.

As far as the nest. Apparently there is research to decide if BB prefer empty box or old nest present but no clear preference. Either way they will build a new nest, if old nest is present they just build on top of it which puts the eggs/babies closer to the door. I clean out the old nest for that reason and to also get rid of any parasites that may be in the nest.

It was about 14 days between start of last nest and first egg, Curious to see how long before first egg this time.
    Meach and Maggie
    05 vtx1300
    07 RS Venture (RIP 2016)
    09 DL 650 VSTROM

Thanks for all this. We will be keeping a watchful eye out.

--
    Gordon

(Threadstarter)

For those keeping score, first egg of second clutch was layed at around 10:45 this morning. (5/25). 10 days from when she started building second nest. We noticed she seemed to be adjusting the final details on her nest, getting things just right.

EDIT:
    second egg 5/26
    third egg 5/27
    fourth egg 5/28
    Last edited by Meach; 05-28-2020 at 01:21 PM. Reason: updates