Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bluebird Cam

Re: Bluebird Cam

Now that is a very healthy snake specimen..but I suppose I could be compassionate and say "well, poor snake must also eat.." my first urge is definitely not snake compassion...

Hi Meach....
    I see the birds are leaving the nest. Are they able to fly at this time, or do they just jump out and have to survive on the ground...??

--
    Gordon

(Threadstarter)

yea they started leaving around 8:30, we knew they were close. I was gonna try and sit and watch em leave but had something I had to do and couldn't sit staring at the box.

One hasn't left yet, (still in box as I type this at 1:00, this one may be the one who hatched a day later than the others, he's come pretty close with half his body out the door but comes back inside, just can't get the courage up. I think he's enjoying having the pad to himself. Mom/day call to the babies from a nearby tree from time to time and the babies fly from the box to the tree. Mom & dad are still caring for this one, feeding and taking away his poop. My wife can hear them calling for him, eventually he will get up the courage.

Last year they spent a week or more in nearby trees and we didn't see them before parents started bringing em to the feeders where we would see 2 or 3 at a time. Sometimes I can take my binoculars and scan the trees and pick out the babies. They don't go far.

While the box is vacant I'm gonna clean it out and make a new lid so I can reposition the camera. Hopefully will have a second nesting. Daddy keeps feeding babies while mom makes a new nest.

EDIT: So #4 left the box at 3:00, we had been watching him. Wife got it on video. He flew over to a tree where one of the parents were calling.
    Meach and Maggie
    05 vtx1300
    07 RS Venture (RIP 2016)
    09 DL 650 VSTROM

Thanks for all this. It has been very entertaining and educating.

--
    Gordon

Been a while since I've visited the site here... of course because there hasn't been much else to do.
    I've seen the kind of behavior displayed by the daddy bird in a pair of parakeets we have. The female
    kept laying eggs and it was hard to keep them from trying to mate. Finally we relented and and let
    her raise just one chick. But part of the mating ritual was the male feeding her; as if to prove he could
    be a reliable mate. Early on, he would feed her most of the time she was on the nest. As the chick grew,
    daddy would come and sit on the nest for spell while she came out to feed and drink for herself.
    Eventually they would take turns on the nest for longer times until the chick finally left the nest box.

Been a couple years since I've kept an eye on a pair of eagles in Decorah Iowa. there were a couple
    years where they raised 2 or 3 eaglets... Fascinating to watch them grow and develop their own
    personalities. Some were more dominating, some more daring, some just funny as heck with their
    antics squabbling with siblings while growing up. Of course one of the best highlights is when they go
    on their first flight away from the nest. I have also watched a bird cam on some falcons on a nest at a
    college building... (in NY I think it was).
    Rochester Hills Michigan Dark Side Rider
    4 Honda Reflex scooters and a 2006 FSC600A Silverwing
    Originator of the
    "Darkside" Honda Reflex.
    "Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me"

Hey Meach.... Will other birds be building a nest in your birdhouse. Do you usually clean out the old nest.??

--
    Gordon

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    Hey Meach.... Will other birds be building a nest in your birdhouse. Do you usually clean out the old nest.??

--
    Gordon
    So I cleaned out the nest and modified the lid so I could move the camera over about an inch or so. You can view the camera and see the changes.

If anyone else wants to view camera just PM me your email address and I'll send a link to camera thru WYZE.

Opinions about cleaning out the box are mixed. Some say yes, some say no, each having their reasons. Last year I also cleaned out box and they made a new nest. Articles say they will build a new nest regardless if the old one is present, they build on top which puts them higher in the box. One reason to clean out is to remove any parasites, etc. that may be present in the nest. Some folks even bleach the inside of box to sanitize it (I don't). I just remove the old nest which is almost entirely pine straw. We are hoping they will start building a new nest soon. You can check out the cam from time to time and see if new nesting material is present. We haven't seen any other birds checking out the box.

The parents have been visiting the box, daddy stands on top and calls to her then goes inside and they chatter back and forth. I'll email you a video clip of them doing this back in march.

I've been putting out dried mealworms in a new feeder on my deck. Last year the BB would come every day and feed and bring their babies and feed them as well. (the feeding was in a different spot) Not so yet this year. We haven't seen the babies around yet, we see the parents coming and going. I have several suet feeders which the BBs also like. We have had a family of Carolina Wrens enjoying the mealworms, they bring their babies and feed them each morning. The Titmice also stop by the mealworms for a meal ever now and then. We have a pair of Catbirds who like the suet as well and usually come each morning (they don't seem to like the mealworms). Our cats enjoy sitting and watching all the action.

Quote Originally Posted by Meach View Post
    You can check out the cam from time to time and see if new nesting material is present. We haven't seen any other birds checking out the box.
    Yep, I've been checking it out a couple times a day. Wife and I really enjoyed watching the Blue birs.

--
    Gordon

Looks like you might have some new renters coming in....

--
    Gordon

(Threadstarter)

yea they started moving in yesterday.

They had been checking things out the last week or so. Yesterday the female started bringing stuff in. She works hard for a while around mid day it seems then takes the afternoons off. They might still be feeding the babies some still. We see them around with her but they seem to be feeding pretty good on their own. The babies are getting harder to tell apart from the adults. Sometimes when the female is working on the nest the babies will hang around the box, sometimes sitting on top and watching. From what I've read, it appears sometimes the first brood of babies have been known to help feed later broods.

Not sure why but last year the second brood was abandoned after laying 3 eggs, I suspect it was due to a heat wave we had at the time (temp near 100)