Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bluebird Cam

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Re: Bluebird Cam

Quote Originally Posted by Meach View Post
    LOL
    It's actually a mess outback but the spring flowers make it look a lot better. Been waiting for the rain to let up to get some work done.

So we help with a cat rescue group and several months ago we took in this guy.His name is Ziggy, named by a previous owner. So I'm hearing your name all the time. Maggie loves him. He loves to sit by the window and watch the birds where we have several feeders hanging.

Attachment 23742
    Meach he looks like me, white and grey haired and fluffy!
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Hey Meach, got the link. Thanks! Enjoying it. My bluebirds are just now showing up here in upstate NY. Historically that has meant that the start of riding season is not too far off...and that is good news!

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by ironheadziggy76 View Post
    meach he looks like me, white and grey haired and fluffy!
    Meach and Maggie
    05 vtx1300
    07 RS Venture (RIP 2016)
    09 DL 650 VSTROM

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Goforit View Post
    Hey Meach, got the link. Thanks! Enjoying it. My bluebirds are just now showing up here in upstate NY. Historically that has meant that the start of riding season is not too far off...and that is good news!
    FYI she layed her 4th egg this morning at 11:41, I was watching her at the time.

I sit and watch em each morning while I have breakfast and check in on em thru the day. When the weather is nice I sit on the deck and they get used to me being there and go on about their business. When babies hatch they constantly go back and forth bring food and carrying away fecal sacs.

Here is a photo from last year. The photo is zoomed in, you can see 4 babies sitting on this windmill i have, at a different time I saw 5 but didn't get a photo.

Last year one day I was watching the babies stick their heads out of the box, couple hours later and box was empty. Week or so later we spotted a baby with parent at feeder, we knew they were still around so kept watch and saw them all the time for weeks. Wasn't sure how many there were total until I started seeing several at the same time.

I put dried mealworms out for em and they would come in everyday for a meal. Usually just one or two at a time until they got older. Fun watching the parents feed the babies for weeks.

Later in the summer/ fall they are as big as the parents and hard to tell em apart from a distance. No way of knowing if this pair of parents is the same from last year. Third year for em to nest. Put up a new box last year, previous box was getting old and rotted and we had feral cats climbing the post 3 years ago thus the stove pipe around the post you in previous photo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bb_2019_zoom.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	23753
    Last edited by Meach; 04-01-2020 at 01:27 PM. Reason: fix photo

Congratulations, Grandpa.....

--
    Gordon

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    Congratulations, Grandpa.....

--
    Gordon

Well I see you've been keeping an eye on the nest. We've been expecting some babies. Its been 14 days since she spent her first night on the nest.

Looks like it might have hatched early this morning. The earliest the camera recorded motion was at 7:52 and there were no signs of shell. She's been coming and going feeding it. I've been watching out for daddy but no sign of him yet today. He usually stops by each morning and brings momma something to eat. I see him from time to time around the yard when I'm outside. We'll see if the the other eggs hatch soon.

Watching BB has been a nice distraction from all the chaos.

EDIT: Well I happen to check camera and now two eggs have hatched. Looked back at motion recordings and the egg hatched about 9:43 this morning. You can see her eating the egg shell in a couple of the clips.
    Last edited by Meach; 04-10-2020 at 09:18 AM. Reason: update

Yes, It has been very interesting watching the eggs. Looking forward to see their future growing. Thanks very much for allowing us to do this.

We also watch a couple different eagle nests.

--
    Gordon

Meach, like the stove pipe idea...have one similar to that one and last year a snake managed to climb the post and cleaned out a nest of four babies....will be stove pipe on the post as soon as I can go out and get it....

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by mailman01 View Post
    Meach, like the stove pipe idea...have one similar to that one and last year a snake managed to climb the post and cleaned out a nest of four babies....will be stove pipe on the post as soon as I can go out and get it....
    A week or so my daughter found two rabbit nests in their fenced in garden. Came out one day and this snake had eaten two of the babies in one nest. They caught the snake and carried him a couple miles away to a nice area and turned him loose. Other nest is still fine.

Only snakes I ever see around my house are small garden type snakes

Yes the stove pipe seemed to work good last year. Gonna watch when babies start chirping and see if cats gonna try and climb it. We see several cats passing thru.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagejpeg_0.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	363.1 KB 
ID:	23764

(Threadstarter)

BB Update
    Well the 4th egg hatched on 4/11, here it is a week later and the babies are growing fast. They will probably be ready to leave the nest in another week or so. Parents are kept pretty busy feeding them. Female is spending less time on the nest, when its colder she spends more time but its slowly warming up here. Funny seeing her try to sleep sitting on the growing babies at night. The babies are getting too big for all of them to fit at the same time.

The babies must learn their parents call early. They appear to hear the parents coming toward the box with food. I'll be watching the babies thru camera and all of a sudden they open their mouths wanting to be fed and I can look out he window and see one of the parents flying toward the box.

We seem to have plenty of some kind of bright green caterpillar, we see the parents bringing in a lot of them along with an assortment of other insect goodies. When the babies were smaller and mom was sitting on the nest more the daddy would bring food and give it to mom who would then feed the babies. If the food was too big for the baby she would just eat it herself.

We had some pretty good storms come thru recently, tornados north and south of us but nothing that severe for us.The female just hunkered down and kept her babies covered, only a few drops of rain blew into the nest box. More storms coming tomorrow but they should be fine. I'm curious to see how much longer the female keeps spending the night sitting on the nest, if she'll stay up until the day the babies fledge.