Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bluebird Cam

Bluebird Cam

For those up in snow country and those stuck at home, here is a taste of spring for you. I put a camera in a bluebird box and you can watch it live or look at recorded "events" from previous 14 days.

If you would like to view camera you will be using the WYZE Cam app on your cell phone. PM me your email address and I will send you a link to share the camera feed. I can share with as many as I want but it only works on a smart phone (technically you can install an android emulator on a computer and run WYZE app there but its a resource hog on my laptop and not worth the trouble)

Backstory:
    We've had bluebirds nest in this box the last couple years. They raised 5 in a successful clutch last year. The box is right behind our house close enough for wifi to reach. A month or so ago I put a wifi camera in the box before the birds started looking for nest sites. Wasn't sure how well it would work. We have several boxes among the trees but all the birds seem to like this one. We had a nuthatch for a week spend each night in the box, he didn't care much for the camera, kept pecking at it, might have seen his reflection in the lens. The chickadees also wanted the box and started building a nest but got evicted by the bluebirds.The bluebirds built a nest and as of today (3/25) have two eggs. She layed the first egg yesterday and should lay a new one each day until she is finished (usually 4-6) then will start incubating. The camera has IR lights I can turn on and off so I can watch her at night.

Here is the box from my deck.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbird3.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	627.3 KB 
ID:	23740

Here is a photo of nest with one egg.

Name:	bbegg.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	23741

Maggie and I are doing well. Being retired all the virus chaos hasn't affected us that much since we're home most the time anyway. Hopefully things will get better as camping season approaches.
    Meach and Maggie
    05 vtx1300
    07 RS Venture (RIP 2016)
    09 DL 650 VSTROM

Re: Bluebird Cam

Thanks for sharing.
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Thanks for sharing this Meach, I made the mistake of showing the picture to the wife. She went on and on about how beautiful your yard is! Guess who’s fat body is in the yard working now?
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

(Threadstarter)

Talking Re: Bluebird Cam

Quote Originally Posted by Ironheadziggy76 View Post
    Thanks for sharing this Meach, I made the mistake of showing the picture to the wife. She went on and on about how beautiful your yard is! Guess who’s fat body is in the yard working now?
    LOL
    It's actually a mess outback but the spring flowers make it look a lot better. Been waiting for the rain to let up to get some work done.

So we help with a cat rescue group and several months ago we took in this guy.His name is Ziggy, named by a previous owner. So I'm hearing your name all the time. Maggie loves him. He loves to sit by the window and watch the birds where we have several feeders hanging.

Name:	IMG_20200326_174745.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	461.6 KB 
ID:	23742

Got it all loaded up. Will be interesting watching the progress...

--
    Gordon

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    Got it all loaded up. Will be interesting watching the progress...

--
    Gordon
    I was expecting her to lay her 3rd egg today but didn't, we'll see if she does tomorrow. She was in and out of box all day. I saw daddy patrolling yard off and on, dive bombed a couple birds. Realized this afternoon the chickadees set up house in a different box. They spent the afternoon collecting moss for their nest.

Cheap entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Meach View Post
    I was expecting her to lay her 3rd egg today but didn't, we'll see if she does tomorrow. She was in and out of box all day. I saw daddy patrolling yard off and on, dive bombed a couple birds. Realized this afternoon the chickadees set up house in a different box. They spent the afternoon collecting moss for their nest.

Cheap entertainment.
    I don't see the mama bird sitting on the nest at all. Is this normal? I thought she would be keeping the eggs warm after being laid.

I also have a couple eagle cams that I am watching......very interesting.

--
    Gordon

(Threadstarter)

I don't see the mama bird sitting on the nest at all. Is this normal? I thought she would be keeping the eggs warm after being laid.

--
    Gordon
    From reading up on BB it appears once they start laying they normally lay one egg a day but don't start incubating until all the eggs are layed so they hatch and fledge at the same time.
    I also notice she leaves nest at night for now, we'll see what happens. In past years was just able to see her coming and going, didn't know what was going on inside box.

(Threadstarter)

--
    Gordon
    So here is something new I've never seen. Look at event from 9:39. She returned to nest an the male was right behind her. The shadows you see are him in the door. She is asking for food like a baby would and he feeds her something then flies off.

Edit: and we have 3 eggs now.layed between 10 and 10:30 ish

They probably realized it was time for an egg and he brought her breakfast so she didn't have any accidents.
    Richard