Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Update on the Chill Out!

Re: Update on the Chill Out!

So a few of us have reservations for Indian Boundry (NFS campgroud about 30 min from Hunts) during the chillout so we can bring our travel trailers mostly for the benefit of the wives. Then we come and hang out at the chillout. Its a long time between now and then when some things are changing from day to day.

From a couple local stories it seems NC has cracked down on folks coming in from outside. Evidently some highways have the highway patrol stopping every car and only letting locals thru or others with a good reason. Seeing how the cherohala is mosty tourist they don't want tourists coming in right now (like a lot of other places).

Its been like summer here in GA last few days. I been using the bikes to run errands since I am solo most of the time, Maggie's not about to leave the house.

It would be almost impossible to close the roads to Hunts (I75 and US441 are major routes, then TN68 to Hunts is a pretty heavily traveled road) I guess they could stop everyone and see where you are going but talk about a nightmare). I haven't read of anywhere in GA or TN where they are stoping people on highways, just too many roads. For a while it seems there were various stories on social media with impending martial law, military closing roads, a friend of a friend with a relative who works for DHS who was told..... and so it goes. My daughter was reading some of this stuff and asked me about it.

Anyway hope to see everyone in June.
    Meach and Maggie
    05 vtx1300
    07 RS Venture (RIP 2016)
    09 DL 650 VSTROM

Quote Originally Posted by Meach View Post

Anyway, hope to see everyone in June.
    Don’t hold your breath ...

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

Hey Guys,
    A couple buddies and I were up in Tellico Plains this weekend. Sadly we were the only folks staying at Hunts. Hate it for Jack & Lori, normally this beautiful weather would’ve made for a fruitful weekend for them. Our routes were primarily off road and forest service road tracks; however, I can confirm the “lockdown” of Graham Co NC. Cherohala is blocked at the county line with heavy barriers. The Dragon is open via access on the TN side but coming off the Dragon, 129 is closed with concrete barriers at the dam which is the Graham Co line. Or, going the other way on 28, it too is closed but with local law allowing Graham Co residence in.
    Otherwise the Tellico businesses were doing a nice job of trying to manage. Fuel stations open and with obvious precautions, restaurants doing takeout only. There were a lot of bikes, hikers and campers throughout.
    I hope everyone is doing well and we hope to see ya’ll on the other side of this mess.
    Jim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hunts.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	23745 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dragon.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	23746
    Jim & Tammie (not the Bakers)
    2011 FLHTK
    Lees-ure Lite

Quote Originally Posted by meach View Post
    so a few of us have reservations for indian boundry (nfs campgroud about 30 min from hunts) during the chillout so we can bring our travel trailers mostly for the benefit of the wives. Then we come and hang out at the chillout. Its a long time between now and then when some things are changing from day to day.

From a couple local stories it seems nc has cracked down on folks coming in from outside. Evidently some highways have the highway patrol stopping every car and only letting locals thru or others with a good reason. Seeing how the cherohala is mosty tourist they don't want tourists coming in right now (like a lot of other places).

Its been like summer here in ga last few days. I been using the bikes to run errands since i am solo most of the time, maggie's not about to leave the house.

It would be almost impossible to close the roads to hunts (i75 and us441 are major routes, then tn68 to hunts is a pretty heavily traveled road) i guess they could stop everyone and see where you are going but talk about a nightmare). I haven't read of anywhere in ga or tn where they are stoping people on highways, just too many roads. For a while it seems there were various stories on social media with impending martial law, military closing roads, a friend of a friend with a relative who works for dhs who was told..... And so it goes. My daughter was reading some of this stuff and asked me about it.

Anyway hope to see everyone in june.
    hi meach
    i hope you're plans include making it to the cowan gap campout the last week end in may.providing of course that the park is open.it is closed now to the end of april.
    Turtle
    TURTLE

It didn't rain in your tent did it Jim?
    Talmadge
    "GroundHog"

Governor of VA just closed us down until June 30th. Stay inside your home except for food, medical issues, and essential work travel. 2500.00 fine and/or year in jail. There goes my summer
    Deb

2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Governor of VA just closed us down until June 30th. Stay inside your home except for food, medical issues, and essential work travel. 2500.00 fine and/or year in jail. There goes my summer
    Wow Deb. I hadn’t heard that on the news. Here in Missouri it seems St. Louis and surrounding counties
    have “Stay At Home” orders till the end of April but nothing state wide.

Jeff
    2005 Yamaha RoadStar 1700 * 2006 Neosho Starlight Model 19 Tag-Trailer * 2009 Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate

Did they close VA. down to thru travel or just residents?
    2019 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
    Did they close VA. down to thru travel or just residents?
    So far, I have not heard that they have closed VA down for thru travel but many of the scenic roads are closed...think Skyline drive, Blue Ridge Parkway, ...you get the idea. Since we all need the truckers to deliver goods I don't see them closing down a state completely but pleasure travel (think going for a motorcycle/car ride) is not permitted. Travel to and from grocery stores or to care for someone is acceptable.

Here is a link to what is covered by the VA stay at home order.
    https://www.insidenova.com/headlines...1K30AqK7DlvAUs